""Tuva (Tyva) or Bust"" Tuva by Ekahau
Tuva Travel Guide: 18 reviews and 107 photos
BBC special on Tuva dated Aug 2009
My first visit to Tuva was in 1990 than again for the visit of the Dalai Lama. Russian Autonomous Republic of Tuva which borders directly on Mongolia in the South. This was still a remote corner of the world in the early 90’s but in a more recent visit it is for sure not as cut off as in the early 90’s. Tuva is the remotest place in the world as there is no other land located so far from any sea. Kyzyl the capital has a monument proclaiming to be the very center of Asia. Tuva is an area of great variety, with almost every type of landscape: luxuriant meadows, boundless steppe, medicinal springs, beautiful lakes, rushing mountain rivers fed in spring by melting snows, dusty semi-deserts and snowy chains of mountains. The high peaks and alpine lakes of the Sayan Mountains in south-west of Tuva give rise to the tributaries that merge to become the mighty Yenisei, one of Siberia's major rivers flowing over 2000 miles to the Arctic Ocean. The mountain ranges that form its natural border have long protected and isolated this region.
Richard Feynman's Last Journey
As a stamp-collecting boy always fascinated by remote places, Nobel Prize–winning physicist Richard Feynman was particularly taken by the diamond-shaped stamps from a place called Tannu Tuva deep within Outer Mongolia. He hoped, someday, to travel there.
In 1977, Feynman and his sidekick— fellow drummer and geography enthusiast Ralph Leighton—set out to make arrangements to visit Tuva, doing noble and hilarious battle with Soviet red tape, befriending quite a few Tuvans, and discovering the wonders of Tuvan throat-singing. Their Byzantine attempts to reach Tannu Tuva would span a decade, interrupted by Feynman's appointment to the committee investigating the Challenger disaster, and his tragic struggle with the cancer that finally killed him. Tuva or Bust! chronicles the deepening friendship of two zany, brilliant strategists whose love of the absurd will delight and instruct. It is Richard Feynman's last, best adventure.
One can take the train to Abakan, then by bus or taxi to Kyzyl. The Bus to Kyzyl goes everyday in the morning and... more travel advice
In 1993 I went to the Tuvan Naadym, the biggest national festival which is celebrated every year 15 August, the national... more travel advice
Ekahau's Related Pages
Tuva Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- ""Tuva (Tyva) or Bust""
- "A most exotic and original Russian republic"
- "TUVA PEOPLE HISTORY"
- "Where Siberia meets Mongolia..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Tuva
- Hotels in Tuva
- Transportation in Tuva
- Nightlife in Tuva
- Restaurants in Tuva
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Tuva
- 27 Reviews
- 43 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (30)
Have you been to Tuva?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tuva
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York State Intro, 28 reviews, 163 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Guadalajara Intro, 30 reviews, 115 photos, 3 travelogues
- Antarctica Intro, 44 reviews, 89 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 23 reviews, 95 photos, 3 travelogues
- Denmark Intro, 19 reviews, 92 photos, 2 travelogues
- Tristan da Cunha Intro, 23 reviews, 72 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bentonville Intro, 12 reviews, 78 photos, 2 travelogues
- São Tomé and Príncipe Intro, 11 reviews, 70 photos
- Yemen Intro, 14 reviews, 65 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Panama Intro, 22 reviews, 55 photos, 4 travelogues