"Socotra Yemen -- some like it remote" Top 5 Page for this destination Socotra by Ekahau
Socotra Travel Guide: 68 reviews and 273 photos
Socotra is a very interesting place for VTers who are into geology. Socotra island is considered to be the most isolated chunks of a continent in the world, it is not a volcanic island or a mid ocean ridge it is part of Africa (on the loss) Socotra was created as part of the rifting that made the great rift Valley of Africa. Socotrais also a place to go if you are into diving in remote, unspoiled places without a lot of tourist Socotra is your cup of tea than. It also has great hiking with mountains of 1500 meters and limestone caves.
Socotra slide show with Yemen national anthem as background
This is also a special place for people who are looking for exotic plants about 800 species of plants are found nowhere else in the world are here in Socotra.
But that is not all -- the coolest thing is the culture and language you see in Socotra they speak a very old Semitic language, Soqotri, which is related to language of the kingdom of Sheba and to Mehri.
Socotra is from the standpoint of geology and biological point of view really one of the most interesting and isolated places on the face of the earth.
Not many people know that the original VTer Marco Polo in the 12hundreds visited Socotra and my favorite Portuguese explorer Tristão da Cunha put ashore after discovering another one of my favorite remote Island Tristan da cunha in the early 16th century and "conquered" Socotra for Portugal.
Most Socotris still live a very basic life without power, and other modern amenities.
Places to see
Higgihir Mountains and Scant
Wind Surfing and Kite boarding is the new rage in Socota sort of exstream wind surfing with amazing wind condition.... more travel advice
In 2001 the Cave of Hoq was discovered by a Belgian team led by Peter De Geest. It is a real beauty with a depth of 7... more travel advice
Ekahau's Related Pages
Socotra Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Socotra (Yemen) - a strange and blissful island !"
- "Socotra Yemen -- some like it remote"
- "Socotra - A Forgotten Island You Will Never Forget"
- "A most incredible island!"
- "A fairy tale island"
- "Socotra, the amazing island!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Socotra
- Hotels in Socotra
- Transportation in Socotra
- Nightlife in Socotra
- Restaurants in Socotra
- Warnings and Dangers in Socotra
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Socotra
- 11 Reviews
- 60 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 16 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (42)
Have you been to Socotra?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Socotra
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York State Intro, 35 reviews, 201 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Guadalajara Intro, 30 reviews, 115 photos, 3 travelogues
- Antarctica Intro, 44 reviews, 89 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 23 reviews, 95 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Denmark Intro, 19 reviews, 92 photos, 2 travelogues
- Tristan da Cunha Intro, 23 reviews, 72 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bentonville Intro, 12 reviews, 78 photos, 2 travelogues
- São Tomé and Príncipe Intro, 11 reviews, 70 photos
- Yemen Intro, 14 reviews, 65 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Panama Intro, 22 reviews, 55 photos, 4 travelogues