"Where the wind blows Cold" Top 5 Page for this destination Punta Arenas by Ekahau
Punta Arenas Travel Guide: 174 reviews and 430 photos
This is looking from the hill into downtown Punta Arena and across the Straits of Magellan to Porvenir and Tierra del Fuego. The city is about 105,000 or so and is the Capital of the Chiles Magallanes Region which includes Tierra del Fuego and the part of the Antarctica claimed by Chile.
The Photo is a monument to the Croat settlers.
The Plaza de Armas in the center of the city has a monument to Ferdinand Magellan. If you look at the toes of one of the indians is polished and shiny whhite. As the legend goes any one who touches these toes will return to Punta Arenas someday. So I will have to go back and do a better VT page.
The people of this part of Chile are very interesting many moved here from the Southern and Baltic area of Europe lots of Croatians, Serbians, Scots, Welsh, Italians, and Germans but the main group seemed to be Croats.
Unemployment rate and the birth rate are high and young people, who are very well educated here, have to migrate somewhere else in Chile. The deep south of Chile and Tierra del Fuego for example, has lost about 23% of its population. There is much to draw the right kind of tourists to this beautiful region of Chile but top of the list are the people.
I was so thrilled to have a chance to stand next to the graveyard of members of HMS Beagle crew in strake isolation... more travel advice
Now this is a very good restaurant, not over the top but subtle and simple tasty food. The chief has a different menu... more travel advice
Ekahau's Related Pages
Punta Arenas Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "the southernmost town in Chile"
- "A bit of history"
- "Estrecho de Magallanes - Tierra del Fuego"
- "Punta Arenas"
- "Where the wind blows Cold"
- "Punta Arenas - The most Southern city in Chile"
- "a warm city in Patagonia"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Punta Arenas
- Hotels in Punta Arenas
- Transportation in Punta Arenas
- Nightlife in Punta Arenas
- Restaurants in Punta Arenas
- Shopping in Punta Arenas
- Warnings and Dangers in Punta Arenas
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Punta Arenas
- 13 Reviews
- 32 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (34)
Have you been to Punta Arenas?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Punta Arenas
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: State and Provincial Capitals"
- Commented on one of Josilver's Punta Arenas travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "departmento Antartico"
- Wrote a Review HMS Beagle Graveyard - Port Famine in Punta Arenas Things to Do
- updated a Punta Arenas Travel Page "Where the wind blows Cold"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York State Intro, 31 reviews, 178 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Guadalajara Intro, 30 reviews, 115 photos, 3 travelogues
- Antarctica Intro, 44 reviews, 89 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 23 reviews, 95 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Denmark Intro, 19 reviews, 92 photos, 2 travelogues
- Tristan da Cunha Intro, 23 reviews, 72 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bentonville Intro, 12 reviews, 78 photos, 2 travelogues
- São Tomé and Príncipe Intro, 11 reviews, 70 photos
- Yemen Intro, 14 reviews, 65 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Panama Intro, 22 reviews, 55 photos, 4 travelogues