"HUMAHUACA" Top 5 Page for this destination Humahuaca by Ekahau
Humahuaca Travel Guide: 35 reviews and 132 photos
QUEBRADA DE HUMAHUACA. Vividly colored landscapes frame a group of villages where time seems to stand still. One of the most beautiful villages is Purmamarca, an indigenous village lying against the Cerro de los Siete Colores (Seven-colour Mount) which strata illustrates various geological ages. Further on, there is an area of mountains with bright-coloured stripes, known as La Paleta del Pintor (The Artist's Pallet), in Maimará. One of the most outstanding attractions in this ravine is the Pucará de Tilcara, a fortified town built by the Omaguaca natives in pre-Columbian times. A monolith marks the Tropic of Capricorn, where each June 21st at midday the sun casts an exactly perpendicular shadow, and the celebration of the aborigines’ new year begins (Inti Raymi - Sun Festival). Humahuaca was founded by the Spanish by the end of the XVI century. Its church and Carnival Museum exhibit some of the region’s customs. Approximately 12 Km away, the mysterious ruins of what used to be terraces for growing Coctaca can be seen.
- Pros:Vividly colored landscapes
- In a nutshell:Landscapes from Heaven
The Templo Santa Cruz y San Francisco in Upuia was built in the 1690s and contains the Angeles Arcabuceros paintings... more travel advice
Ekahau's Related Pages
Humahuaca Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Humahaca : my favourite Quechua town and region"
- "The place where God created colors"
- "Colors of Humahuaca"
- "Quebrada or not ? Quebrada ou pas ?"
- "Don't think so much, GO THERE!!!!"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Humahuaca
- 10 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (35)
Have you been to Humahuaca?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Humahuaca
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York State Intro, 35 reviews, 201 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Guadalajara Intro, 30 reviews, 115 photos, 3 travelogues
- Antarctica Intro, 44 reviews, 89 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 23 reviews, 95 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Denmark Intro, 19 reviews, 92 photos, 2 travelogues
- Tristan da Cunha Intro, 23 reviews, 72 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bentonville Intro, 12 reviews, 78 photos, 2 travelogues
- São Tomé and Príncipe Intro, 11 reviews, 70 photos
- Yemen Intro, 14 reviews, 65 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Panama Intro, 22 reviews, 55 photos, 4 travelogues