"Diego Garcia" Diego Garcia by Ekahau
Diego Garcia Travel Guide: 17 reviews and 100 photos
Diego Garcia was the population center of The Chagos Archipelago before the Americans built a base here which you can see in the picture. Although Diego Garcia once had a small native population, the inhabitants, known as the Ilois, were forced to relocate (1967–1973) so that the island could be turned into a military base—over the strong protestations of other Indian Ocean islands, who objected to having cruise missiles as neighbors. Most of the displaced Ilois were agricultural workers and fisherman. Uprooted and robbed of their livelihood, the Ilois now live in poverty in Mauritius's urban slums, more than 1,000 miles from their homeland. In 2000, a British court ruled that the order to evacuate Diego Garcia's inhabitants was invalid, but the court also upheld the island's military status, which permits only personnel authorized by the military to inhabit the island. The Ilois are currently suing both the U.S. and the British governments for compensation and the right to repatriation.
VIDEO OF THE EXPULSION FROM DIEGO GARCIA PAINFUL TO WATCH BUT WORTH SEEING
Chagos is an isolated group of atolls and reefs in the Central Indian Ocean. The group forms the southern end of the Laccadives - Maldives - Chagos atoll chain, and is centred at about 6° South, 72° East, roughly 2,000 miles east of Africa and 2,000 miles west of Singapore. There are five atolls, ten reefs and submerged shoals and 55 islands. One of the atolls, the Great Chagos Bank, is the largest atoll in the Indian Ocean. And lots and lots of Birds. Where I come in.
- Pros:great birding
- Cons:a military base
This is where it all happen before the exile the Plantation -- The Plantation which is on the east point of the Island... more travel advice
Life outside the water echoes the tides of the sea, with a mostly Navy military population shifting in and out in one... more travel advice
Ekahau's Related Pages
Diego Garcia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "who is Diego?..you mean where is Diego Garcia?"
- "Diego Garcia"
- "In the middle of the Ocean..."
- "The Indian Ocean"
- "Where in the World is Diego Garcia"
- "Diego Garcia"
- "Paradise For A Year"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Diego Garcia
- Hotels in Diego Garcia
- Nightlife in Diego Garcia
- Restaurants in Diego Garcia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Diego Garcia
- 6 Reviews
- 25 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 19 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (35)
Have you been to Diego Garcia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Diego Garcia
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York State Intro, 35 reviews, 201 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Guadalajara Intro, 30 reviews, 115 photos, 3 travelogues
- Antarctica Intro, 44 reviews, 89 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 23 reviews, 95 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Denmark Intro, 19 reviews, 92 photos, 2 travelogues
- Tristan da Cunha Intro, 23 reviews, 72 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bentonville Intro, 12 reviews, 78 photos, 2 travelogues
- São Tomé and Príncipe Intro, 11 reviews, 70 photos
- Yemen Intro, 14 reviews, 65 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Panama Intro, 22 reviews, 55 photos, 4 travelogues