"The Chitral Valleys" Top 5 Page for this destination Chitral by Ekahau
Chitral Travel Guide: 80 reviews and 174 photos
I have traveled about a dozen times to Islamabad Pakistan and have found that it is easy and inexpensive to go from there to the Northern (the Sangria la) parts of Pakistan. Even the trip by Air is an adventure flying up onto the roof of the world with peaks as tall as 8,600 meters. This 322 km. hideout in the mountain valleys of the Hindu Kush range, is a place of absolutely amazing beauty and intriguing culture. The Pakistan Gov tourist site said it nicely and I would agree - "Chitral’s collection of rugged mountains, sulphur springs, rivers teeming with trout, orchard-dotted slopes, friendly people and annual festivals are enchanting beyond description. For the modern day traveler this scenic region offers an exciting experience. It is easily accessible by air from historic city of Peshawar."
Here is a video of the Valley
This is a journey looking for Alexandra the Great and the Greek culture and people left over from the time when the descendents of Alexandra the Great ruled this part of the world. The Chitral Valley a place Alexandra the Great marched through in 327 BC and where Greek was spoken for 1000 years. And you see the Chitral valleys, is still to this day the home of the about 6,000 strong Kalasha community who are the descents of the army of Alexander the Great. The Kalasha are also the only community left in the world that this VTer knows about that still practice elements of the ancient Greek religion as in Zeus and all those gods we read about in school. The traditional dress of the Kalash women are very similar to the old classical Macedonian paintings and sculptures. To this day in parts of Macedonia and Greece the same picturesque headgear made of woolen materials with shells, and buttons.
On this page are two photos on from Macedonia the other from the Chitral valley see if you can tell which is which
Another great reason to visit for this VTer who loves language and culture is that the Chitral Valley according to the famous linguist Georg Morgenstierne happens to be the area of the greatest linguistic diversity in the world. Eleven or twelve laguages are spoken in this small valley. Khowar Kalash, Palula, Dameli, Gawar-Bati, Nuristani, Yidgha, Burushaski, Gujar, Wakhi, Kyrgyz, Persian, Pashto and well now English.
25 May, 07: The first flight PK 664 of the newly commissioned Islamabad-Chitral route landed in Chitral with Chitrali... more travel advice
Chitral was a Princely State in fact it remained so until 1961 in fact and the fort of Chital was the HQ so to speak.... more travel advice
Ekahau's Related Pages
Chitral Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Chitral, a Pearl in Hindukush"
- "Chitral Festival"
- "The Chitral Valleys"
- "Visiting the Kalash Valleys"
- "A Wonderful Valley in the Hindukush"
- "Visiting the Kalash"
- "Chitral, Gateway to Kalash Valleys"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Chitral
- Hotels in Chitral
- Transportation in Chitral
- Nightlife in Chitral
- Restaurants in Chitral
- Shopping in Chitral
- Warnings and Dangers in Chitral
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Chitral
- 7 Reviews
- 39 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (35)
Have you been to Chitral?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chitral
Photos in ChitralSee All Photos (39)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York State Intro, 35 reviews, 201 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Guadalajara Intro, 30 reviews, 115 photos, 3 travelogues
- Antarctica Intro, 44 reviews, 89 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 23 reviews, 95 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Denmark Intro, 19 reviews, 92 photos, 2 travelogues
- Tristan da Cunha Intro, 23 reviews, 72 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bentonville Intro, 12 reviews, 78 photos, 2 travelogues
- São Tomé and Príncipe Intro, 11 reviews, 70 photos
- Yemen Intro, 14 reviews, 65 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Panama Intro, 22 reviews, 55 photos, 4 travelogues