"Taxila UNESCO World Heritage Site a Gem" Taxila by Ekahau
Taxila Travel Guide: 33 reviews and 114 photos
Great virtual tour of Taxila Click on the link that takes you to a map click on the photo you will get a 360 tour of some of the important Taxila sites. a 15 min video of Taxila
I was traveling in Bopal area of India a few years ago and came across a Greek Pillar ot Heliodorus . This Monument was built by the Greek ambassador from an (Indo-Greek) king in Taxila on the occasion of his conversion to Hinduism in about 150BC. The plaque on the column advised that it was set up by Heliodoros, a Greek inhabitant of Taxila who and come to the court of Bhagabhadra, king of central India, as an ambassador from the court of King Antialcidas of Taxila, a Greek King. I knew I had to see Taxila what a history
At Taxila the VTer can visit some of the earliest most important Buddhist stupas and monasteries which was once a major center of Buddhist culture. You can explored the ruins of a Greek city with Corinthian features, and a tiny museum filled with ancient Greek and Buddhist artifacts. What is totally cool see this is where the hellistic culture meets the East just imagine Buddha draped in Grecian robes and with a Greek nose!! Yes this is Taxila one of the Indus river culture city and was over two thousands years old when Alexander the Great showed up. Here Zoroastrianism, Hinduism, Hellenism and Buddhism all meet and melted together.
But let’s go back even further in history and in the area around Taxila you can do just that! Just a little less than a kilometers to the south of where the little museum now sits in the Hathial mound they have found early Bronze age evidence of a culture earlier than the Indus Civilization of Mohen-jodaro
From Islamabad or Rawalpindi one can reach Texila within half an hour by local wagons, buses or texi. You can hire a... more travel advice
Ekahau's Related Pages
Taxila Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "True Ruins!"
- "Taxila - the ruins of Gandharan civilisation"
- "The Ancient city TAXILA"
- "Taxila UNESCO World Heritage Site a Gem"
- "TAXILA AND THE BUDDIST SITES."
- "Pictures of Taxila"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Taxila
- Hotels in Taxila
- Transportation in Taxila
- Shopping in Taxila
- Warnings and Dangers in Taxila
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Taxila
- 2 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (44)
Have you been to Taxila?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Taxila
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York State Intro, 35 reviews, 201 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Denmark Intro, 27 reviews, 136 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Guadalajara Intro, 30 reviews, 115 photos, 3 travelogues
- Antarctica Intro, 44 reviews, 89 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 23 reviews, 95 photos, 3 travelogues
- Tristan da Cunha Intro, 23 reviews, 72 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bentonville Intro, 12 reviews, 78 photos, 2 travelogues
- São Tomé and Príncipe Intro, 11 reviews, 70 photos
- Yemen Intro, 14 reviews, 65 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Panama Intro, 22 reviews, 55 photos, 4 travelogues