"Europa - the Foreign Legion and goats" Europa Island by Ekahau

Europa Island Travel Guide: 1 reviews and 13 photos

This is the Southernmost of the French islands in the Channel of Mozambique, I flew over this and the near by Bassa da India in a King Air the Embassy used at the time on my way to Reunion from South Africa the Military attaché pilot flew down low enough to take some photos.

For a long time in sailing this place was confused with BASSA DA INDIA on the charts. On December 24, 1774, English ship EUROPA recognized it with certainty, and its name gave him as that of the ship. Some colonists tried to a few time to set up house here but all the attempts at colonization failed. About 1860, French colonists with the name of ROSE TREE (2 brothers) coming from Tuléar, settle in Europa and take along with them some animals. A few years later, they disappeared from Europa but the left some Goats behind and now there are about 300 goats on the Island.

On October 31, 1897, France declares EUROPA a dependence and concessions were granted to private individuals, for the development of the island. In 1903, a small colony was installed on the island. About 1910, the island of EUROPA had a small sedentary population and history of these colonists is known by the tombs of the small cemetery of EUROPA: Marie Virginia BEAUCHAMP deceased on March 5, 1910 and Miss Aurélie STEPHEN deceased on May 1, 1910.

The 2nd Foreign Legion Parachutist Regiment out of Calvi Franch has a small detachment of about 25 posted on Europa and there is a small scientific team that runs the weather station. The few tombs forming the small cemetery of EUROPA are maintained by the 2nd RPIMA.

Europa is now a nature reserve and from November to March that the island is visited by marine tortoises and approximately eight thousand female tortoises come ashore to deposit their eggs on Europa

• Last visit to Europa Island: May 1990
  • Intro Updated May 29, 2006

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Jul 31, 2009 at 10:21 AM

Yeah, nice virtual tour.. Thanx!

• Apr 20, 2009 at 1:16 PM

The virtual discovery shall suffice for me, Thank you very much! Cheers, Marina :-)

• Aug 25, 2008 at 3:30 AM

You are a true adventurer! I'm not too sure if I would be able to survive such a desolate place like Europa Island. I need booze, women, and urban violence when I'm on vacation.

• mayasun's Profile Photo
    Mar 15, 2008 at 11:33 AM

Waow!!! To see picture of such small island just blow me away. Just to be there. Keep exploring my friend. It is really unique to see this and share it with us.

• AALEX's Profile Photo
    Jul 26, 2007 at 3:30 AM

Kind opf like my home in St Pierre remote small and French

• craic's Profile Photo
    Jun 26, 2007 at 8:14 AM

those flyspecks in the middle of a huge ocean - how enchanting they are

• mircaskirca's Profile Photo
    May 28, 2007 at 12:29 PM

Nature reserve, tortoises... sounds like a fairyland! I was infinitely happy on Brazil's Fernando de Noronha Island to get the opportunity to swim close to one of them :)

• mtncorg's Profile Photo
    Apr 20, 2007 at 7:57 AM

To get stationed here, you have to be a pain in someone's behind, no?! ;-\

• xuessium's Profile Photo
    Jan 21, 2007 at 12:11 AM

GOSH! This is 1 island I truly not heard of....

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Nov 24, 2006 at 9:41 PM

Wow... oh la la. Beautiful. Cheers, SL

Ekahau

“""I have a hobby...I have the world's largest collection of sea shells. I keep it scattered on beaches all over"”

Badges & Stats in Europa Island

Have you been to Europa Island?