"St Helena" Saint Helena by Ekahau
Saint Helena Travel Guide: 180 reviews and 587 photos
If you want bright lights, nightclubs, sandy beaches and lots of shopping, this is not the place for you.
Life on the island is tranquil and peaceful. There are no tourist traps or theme parks. Instead, there is beautiful countryside to walk in and explore, whatever your capabilities, for the easy stroller to the most strenuous hill walker.
For the naturalist, there is interesting wildlife, including St Helena?s unique Wirebird, and plenty of endemic plants to see. The recently rediscovered St Helena ebony, thought to be extinct; the gumwood conservation project, planting new forests; Diana?s Peak National Park.
And there is history. You are surrounded by it ? and you are following in many famous footsteps, Charles Darwin, Edmund Halley, Captain Cook, and William Dampier. For the interested, a visit to the museum is a must, to view archives dating back as far as 1673. Jamestown is dominated by Ladder Hill fort at the top of the amazing 699 steps of Jacob?s Ladder. No holiday on the island is complete without a visit to Longwood House, where Napoleon spent much of his exile, and to his tomb.
The island has its share of "the most". The most southerly Cathedral of the Church of England, St James in the town square; probably the most remote golf course in the world (you can hire clubs, so no need to bring your own but mind you don't hit the donkeys!), the oldest Anglican Church in the Southern hemisphere.
Whatever your interest, there are fascinating excursions with local guides steeped in knowledge of the island and its past; on foot, by charabanc or taxi even by boat. From the historic sites of Jamestown and the island, through military, Napoleonic and Boer tours, to a range of natural history walks and a boat trip around the coast (including the dolphin run) even a pub crawl by bus! When the ship comes in, the Saints put themselves out for your enjoyment.
And then, the activities for the more energetic. Apart from the walking and golf, there is tennis, sport fishing, sea canoeing, wind surfing, scuba diving, mountain biking and rock climbing all can be arranged on the island.
When you have worked up an appetite, although there are no expensive cordon bleu establishments, there are a small number of restaurants and cafes serving excellent, spicy St Helenian food. Remember, there's no fast food takeaway service here. Quite the opposite the food is all cooked specially for you. The establishment owners really appreciate it if you make a reservation the day before and order your food so they can plan their daily trip to the stores.
- Pros:Very hard to reach
- Cons:very hard to reach
- In a nutshell:very hard to reach
Key to Jamestown 1 The Wharf: this is the only way on and off St Helena, and the place where all passengers and... more travel advice
Ekahau's Related Pages
Saint Helena Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "St Helena and the Saints"
- "St. Helena - Isolated in the South Atlantic"
- "St Helena"
- "Four Months on St Helena Island"
- "No place like home"
- "St. Helena"
- "The Island of St. Helena"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Saint Helena
- Hotels in Saint Helena
- Transportation in Saint Helena
- Nightlife in Saint Helena
- Restaurants in Saint Helena
- Shopping in Saint Helena
- Warnings and Dangers in Saint Helena
- See All...
Explore the World
- Rooster Rock State Park Hotels
- Beverly Beach State Park Hotels
- Kampong Keramat Dalam Hotels
- Isla Holbox
- Kapurthala Hotels
- Province of Tarlac
- Durham Town Hotels
- New Caledonia
- Departamento de Islas de la Bahía
- Torremolinos Hotels
Badges & Stats in Saint Helena
- 26 Reviews
- 80 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (33)
Have you been to Saint Helena?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Saint Helena
Photos in Saint HelenaSee All Photos (80)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination New York State Intro, 31 reviews, 178 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Guadalajara Intro, 30 reviews, 115 photos, 3 travelogues
- Antarctica Intro, 44 reviews, 89 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bermuda Intro, 23 reviews, 95 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Denmark Intro, 19 reviews, 92 photos, 2 travelogues
- Tristan da Cunha Intro, 23 reviews, 72 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bentonville Intro, 12 reviews, 78 photos, 2 travelogues
- São Tomé and Príncipe Intro, 11 reviews, 70 photos
- Yemen Intro, 14 reviews, 65 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Panama Intro, 22 reviews, 55 photos, 4 travelogues
Top Saint Helena hotels
- Ascension Island Hotels
- 50 Reviews - 192 Photos