"Sailing or Fishing... Our Village" Bruinisse by Porteplume
Bruinisse Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 95 photos
In the Netherlands mussels are mainly grown in floor culture on the mussel plots. Here in Bruinisse, our village with a rather important fishing harbour, the mussels are also experimentely grown in the so-called "Hangcultuur'.
In spring, the seed (spat/larvae) collectors are prepared and deployed in seed producing areas. At this time the Sleeving process begins.
Sleeving (seeding) is the operation by which juvenile or seed mussels are loaded onto mesh sleeves.
By the fall of the year the mussel seed will have grown to a size of 5 to 20 mm and socking season begins. The mussel seed are stripped from the collectors, de-clumped and graded into uniform size classes before being places into plastic mesh sleeves/tubes called socks.
The socks containing the mussels are then hung from longlines and the longlines suspended below the surface for over-wintering - Here hanging under these blue barrels - The mussels hang high in the water, where the food offer is optimum and the mussels need no silt or sand.
Because of this the mussels will grow fast and get them sticking out a flesh weight and and more fine taste and absolutely without any sand.
During the spring and summer of the year following the socking, the mussel farmer is busy adding floatation to the longlines as the crop grows and the mussel socks gain weight.
= = = = = = = =
No post-processing other than cropping top & bottom.
En Français: Notre Île: Schouwen-Duiveland
L'île Schouwen-Duiveland , Province Zeeland, où j'habite depuis plus de 25 ans n'est plus vraiment une île puisqu'elle est reliée aux autres régions avoisinantes par:
<li> La Brouwersdam (Digue) au nord
<li> La Grevelingendam (Digue) à l'est
<li> Le Pont de Zélande -Zeelandbrug (5 km) au sud et
<li> Le Barrage Anti-tempêtes sur l'Escaut à l'ouest. (Oosterscheldedam)
In English: Our Island: Schouwen-Duiveland
The Island called Schouwen-Duiveland , in Zeeland isn't quite an island anymore as it is connected to others with:
<li>The Brouwersdam in the North
<li>The Grevelingendam in the East
<li>The 5km long Zeelandbridge in the South and
<li>The Oosterscheldedam , (Eastern Scheldt storm-surge barrier) in the West.
All those dams and bridges are part of the Delta Works.
. Français: Vous aimeriez voir des moulins ? Celui-ci se trouve dans la petite ville de Tholen, à qq 25 km de chez... more travel advice
I don't know much about that restaurant. Everybody I know say it's a good one! N.B. : But I set it here because I'm... more travel advice
Porteplume's Related Pages
Bruinisse Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Bruinisse
- Restaurants in Bruinisse
- Warnings and Dangers in Bruinisse
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Bruinisse
- 7 Reviews
- 42 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 58 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Bruinisse?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bruinisse
- Posted in Travel Lake District National Park Forum "Re: Next October, camping in Lake..."
- updated a Bruinisse Travel Page "Sailing or Fishing... Our Village"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Sailing or Fishing... Our Village"
- Commented on one of BeaYong's Bruinisse travel pages
- Wrote a Review Moulins, Molens, Mills... in Bruinisse Things to Do
Photos in BruinisseSee All Photos (42)
Top 10 Pages
- Norway Intro, 10 reviews, 88 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur Intro, 23 reviews, 54 photos, 5 travelogues
- Sweden Intro, 10 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Bruinisse Intro, 7 reviews, 42 photos, 4 travelogues
- Europe Intro, 1 review, 47 photos, 5 travelogues
- France Intro, 8 reviews, 26 photos, 2 travelogues
- Rotterdam Intro, 6 reviews, 28 photos, 3 travelogues
- Ålesund Intro, 8 reviews, 24 photos, 1 travelogue
- Alpes du Dauphiné Intro, 13 reviews, 19 photos, 1 travelogue
- Västernorrlands Län Intro, 11 reviews, 12 photos