"b1bob's unique Virgilina page" Virgilina by b1bob

Virgilina Travel Guide: 50 reviews and 89 photos

Virgilina is a small town bisected by the Virginia-North Carolina line, hence its name. In its heyday, it was a copper mining town. It had a hotel and a fairly complete downtown with a number of auto mechanic shops, family-owned grocery stores and even a dress shop. All that remains are 2 small restaurants, a beauty salon and one surviving grocery store. The railroad used to run through Virgilina until the early 1980s. I can remember hearing the night train pass through before drifting off to sleep on those hot summer nights as a kid at Grandma's house.

Every year since 1983, the Virgilina Volunteer Fire Department holds a Summerfest. It is a small town festival with parades, Brunswick stew, barbecued chicken or pork, carnival rides and snacks. I have attended the majority of these celebrations.

If it seems like I have gone overboard on here, having treble the tips I do on London, it is because the Summerfest holds an inordinate amount of memories and I consider Virgilina to be one of my hometowns.

• Pros:Virgilina is a small town - perfect to get away from the rush of the cities.
  • Cons:No hotels anymore. You'd have to stay in Clarksville, VA; South Boston, VA; or Roxboro, NC.
  • In a nutshell:Virgilina may be a tiny hamlet to many other world travelers, but it's a great little town.
  • Last visit to Virgilina: Dec 2008
  • Intro Updated Jan 3, 2010

• Jan 27, 2009 at 6:09 AM

I like the picture from: South Boston, VA tip. A classic western style USA city!!

• acemj's Profile Photo
    May 28, 2007 at 11:01 AM

How was Summerfest?

• eslim_81's Profile Photo
    Oct 5, 2006 at 10:11 AM

The folks in small towns are still more friendly and helpful...... the same here, in Malaysia.

• Jul 18, 2006 at 11:25 AM

Hi Bob, My maiden name is Tuck and my grandfather (now dead) was born in Virgilina. Our family doesn't know much about Virgilina as we now in NC. What do you know about the Tuck and what is the Tuck house? Just curious. Thanks!

• deecat's Profile Photo
    May 24, 2006 at 6:04 PM

Just as special and more concise. Bittersweet and yes haunting. I saw a different side of you..proud of your roots and this small town Americana. You took me through all the emotions. Being a small town girl myself, I really identified. Bravo!

• DPando's Profile Photo
    May 16, 2006 at 2:30 PM

amazing tips my great friend!!! looks like typical us way of life

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo
    Mar 24, 2006 at 11:46 AM

cool little place you come from nat. we don't have a summerfest where i come from, but we do have a yearly regatta in june.

• martin_nl's Profile Photo
    Jul 30, 2005 at 12:42 PM

Summerfest sounds like a great festival! Good to see that such a small but historical mining town gets alive at least once a year. My hometown sleeps all year round ;-)

• aussiejen's Profile Photo
    Jul 25, 2005 at 6:08 PM

Wow, so many tips. You are proud of your home town. : )

• codrutz's Profile Photo
    Jul 20, 2005 at 12:06 AM

Great food your grandmother makes there :)

b1bob Visits Here Frequently!

b1bob

Badges & Stats in Virgilina

Have you been to Virgilina?

Latest Activity in Virgilina