"b1bob's unique Virgilina page" Virgilina by b1bob
Virgilina Travel Guide: 50 reviews and 89 photos
Virgilina is a small town bisected by the Virginia-North Carolina line, hence its name. In its heyday, it was a copper mining town. It had a hotel and a fairly complete downtown with a number of auto mechanic shops, family-owned grocery stores and even a dress shop. All that remains are 2 small restaurants, a beauty salon and one surviving grocery store. The railroad used to run through Virgilina until the early 1980s. I can remember hearing the night train pass through before drifting off to sleep on those hot summer nights as a kid at Grandma's house.
Every year since 1983, the Virgilina Volunteer Fire Department holds a Summerfest. It is a small town festival with parades, Brunswick stew, barbecued chicken or pork, carnival rides and snacks. I have attended the majority of these celebrations.
If it seems like I have gone overboard on here, having treble the tips I do on London, it is because the Summerfest holds an inordinate amount of memories and I consider Virgilina to be one of my hometowns.
- Pros:Virgilina is a small town - perfect to get away from the rush of the cities.
- Cons:No hotels anymore. You'd have to stay in Clarksville, VA; South Boston, VA; or Roxboro, NC.
- In a nutshell:Virgilina may be a tiny hamlet to many other world travelers, but it's a great little town.
Virgilina's communication centre isn't WRAL-TV 5 or even FOX News. The Town & Country beauty shop is really the town's... more travel advice
This white wooden building has been home to general stores and auction houses off and on throughout my daddy's and my... more travel advice
- See All Dodgy mobile phone service
- See All Decisions, Decisions
- See All Virgilina Cemetery
- See All Bring the sun block
- See All Oxford, NC
b1bob's Related Pages
Virgilina Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Virgilina
- Transportation in Virgilina
- Restaurants in Virgilina
- Shopping in Virgilina
- Warnings and Dangers in Virgilina
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Virgilina
- 52 Reviews
- 84 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 45 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (29)
Have you been to Virgilina?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Virgilina
Photos in VirgilinaSee All Photos (84)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 243 reviews, 479 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 203 reviews, 326 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Virginia Intro, 153 reviews, 241 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 80 reviews, 123 photos
- Mechanicsville Intro, 65 reviews, 121 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Charlotte Intro, 83 reviews, 91 photos, 1 travelogue
- Washington D.C. Intro, 70 reviews, 77 photos, 2 travelogues
- Virgilina Intro, 52 reviews, 85 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Williamsburg Intro, 51 reviews, 64 photos
- Europe Intro, 51 reviews, 53 photos