"b1bob does South Boston, VA" South Boston by b1bob

South Boston Travel Guide: 36 reviews and 69 photos

For those of y'all who were looking for South Boston, Massachussetts, I'm sorry. This is South Boston, Virginia. Since it became incorporated together with Halifax County in 1995, it became the county's largest city with about 6500 people.

South Boston, VA holds special memories for me because my mama's parents lived there all their lives. Grandpa Terry (1897-1989) was a jeweler. His boyhood friend, William Munford Tuck, governor of Virginia (1946-50) and congressman for the 5th district (1953-69) would come down from Washington, D.C. just to have Grandpa repair his watches. Grandma Terry (1909-1992) was a seamstress at Fuller's which was located downtown within walking distance of their house shown in the travelogues.

Since my grandparents on my mama's side passed, so too has downtown. The decline started when Leggett's Department Store moved from downtown to a strip mall a few miles to the west. The decline became noticeable and hit home when my favourite toy store Carroll's and the local drug store Faulkner & Lawson's with its lunch counter went out of business in the mid to late 1990s.

I will never be completely satisfied with this page. When I was younger, I foolishly assumed that downtown South Boston would stay the same. I took it for granted that Leggett's, Carroll's, Newberry's, Faulkner & Lawson's, and Carroll's would never close in a million years. Worst of all, I never took any photos of Elsie Long, Grandma Terry's lifelong friend and longtime neighbour. I used to love to join Elsie on her front porch swing. Sadly, on 18 February 2002, Elsie joined Grandma and Grandpa 10 days before her 91st birthday.

• Pros:The architecture of the homes and businesses.
  • Cons:They have tried mightily to revitalise downtown, but it isn't the same.
  • Last visit to South Boston: Nov 2006
  • Intro Updated Nov 26, 2006

• travelfrosch's Profile Photo
    May 8, 2010 at 4:51 PM

Well, even though my family hails from South Boston, MASSACHUSETTS ;), I very much enjoyed this personal look at this town from your childhood. Cheers, Mark

• Mikebond's Profile Photo
    Jan 5, 2010 at 9:00 AM

Good page! I will read the General tips tomorrow.

• Feb 19, 2008 at 9:09 AM

Nat you have excellent web sites with a lot of information! volopolo

• Leipzig's Profile Photo
    Aug 31, 2007 at 2:43 AM

Excellent page, Nat! I love the old photos of your and your brother

• MikeAtSea's Profile Photo
    Nov 27, 2006 at 6:10 AM

Amazing, detailed and great page!! I have to do some more exploring in the US!! Your friend Michael

• eslim_81's Profile Photo
    Oct 5, 2006 at 8:21 PM

Lots of meaningful old houses and buildings along the streets in South Boston...and you know lots of stories behind them....awesome....!!

• aussiejen's Profile Photo
    Feb 9, 2006 at 3:11 PM

Lots of memories huh? I haven't been "home" to NZ for a long time..running out of family there.

• german_eagle's Profile Photo
    Sep 30, 2005 at 7:08 AM

Thanks for sharing your personal experiences and emotions. It must be a special place for you. Very moving to read.

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Sep 27, 2005 at 3:42 AM

Good to hear the downtown area is being revitalized. The Heritge Festival sounds like fun too.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Jun 2, 2005 at 6:46 AM

Poignant, Nat, and moving for those of us who had similar childhood experiences. Great local customs tips. This town is symbolic of a trend in America that is sad...so good to highlight your wonderful grandparents & their positive influence on your life.

b1bob Visits Here Frequently!

b1bob

Badges & Stats in South Boston

Have you been to South Boston?