"George Washington Slept Here!" Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Vernon by b1bob

Mount Vernon Travel Guide: 192 reviews and 440 photos

Of all the places in Northern Virginia I wanted Matt and Urszula to see, it was Mount Vernon, the home of George Washington, America's first president. Matt and Urszula made Virginia a part of a larger tour of the Southern United States in October and November, 2004. I hadn't planned to go with them to Mount Vernon, but they wanted me to show them how to get there and what to see when we got there. Sad but true, this was my first trip to Mount Vernon despite living in Virginia, so I was just as new to it as they were. Two things about Mount Vernon surprised me. First, the vast acreage. I figured it would be like Berkeley Plantation in the sense that we could tour the mansion and walk on the grounds immediately surrounding it all in a couple of hours. There were numerous outbuilding and vast expanses of farmland and forest. The second thing that surprised me was, although Washington is most famous for being the first president and general in the Revolutionary War, that he considered himself to be, first and foremost a farmer. The vast expanse of land and nature made that clear. You really can't blow through here in 2 hours and expect to see close to everything. You need at least 4 or 5 to get a good sense of what it was like.

• Pros:There isn't only the mansion to see, but the various outbuildings and land.
  • Cons:The tour groups in the mansion are packed in like sardines and herded like cattle.
  • In a nutshell:You get a real sense of history up close and personal.
  • Last visit to Mount Vernon: Oct 2004
  • Intro Updated Jan 6, 2005

• 807Wheaton's Profile Photo
    Aug 16, 2010 at 8:30 PM

We visited Mt. Vernon last Thanksgiving - WOW! It has a huge new visitor's center......it can take a day to visit. Lots of great history and several very nice new eateries on the grounds now. And yes - the house tour is still the least impressive.

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo
    Jul 6, 2006 at 3:48 PM

interesting page nat. i´m still reading and reading to get inspiration for my US trip this september.

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo
    Apr 14, 2006 at 5:39 PM

I try to only smoke when i am on fire... you proved the only other time it should occur.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Mar 25, 2005 at 3:50 PM

Admire your honesty. I most enjoyed the 16-sided barn. That was fascinating. I agree about steering clear of fast food. The only fast foot I like is Steak & Shake. Sometimes, we do what time allows. You always find tidbits that no one else does.

• bkoon's Profile Photo
    Jan 18, 2005 at 6:33 PM

Nice page. Very informative. Thanks for sharing. Cheerio, Bee :)

• camilo74's Profile Photo
    Dec 1, 2004 at 9:28 AM

Very interesting place, Historical and Beautiful Lndscape, i'll definiltely have to see it when i travel to USA

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Nov 26, 2004 at 6:16 PM

I agree about being herded at some of these mansion tours. Great to see you enjoyed your time with Maciek.

• Dumpymotel's Profile Photo
    Nov 15, 2004 at 9:27 PM

That looks like a great mansion to tour.... I can't get enough of those big old homes...

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Nov 13, 2004 at 11:15 AM

Nat, it was great and very interesting place to see - thank you for directed us there. Never mind the food there :-). My impressions are very similar to yours! Excelent page!

• RhineRoll's Profile Photo
    Nov 13, 2004 at 12:13 AM

Great tip there, even including wheelchair access! Also writing to let you know that I agree with your defense against the people accusing you to be a rate monger. Even though their style might be more to my liking, they are wrong, here.

b1bob

Badges & Stats in Mount Vernon

Have you been to Mount Vernon?

Latest Activity in Mount Vernon