"George Washington Slept Here!" Top 5 Page for this destination Mount Vernon by b1bob
Mount Vernon Travel Guide: 192 reviews and 440 photos
Of all the places in Northern Virginia I wanted Matt and Urszula to see, it was Mount Vernon, the home of George Washington, America's first president. Matt and Urszula made Virginia a part of a larger tour of the Southern United States in October and November, 2004. I hadn't planned to go with them to Mount Vernon, but they wanted me to show them how to get there and what to see when we got there. Sad but true, this was my first trip to Mount Vernon despite living in Virginia, so I was just as new to it as they were. Two things about Mount Vernon surprised me. First, the vast acreage. I figured it would be like Berkeley Plantation in the sense that we could tour the mansion and walk on the grounds immediately surrounding it all in a couple of hours. There were numerous outbuilding and vast expanses of farmland and forest. The second thing that surprised me was, although Washington is most famous for being the first president and general in the Revolutionary War, that he considered himself to be, first and foremost a farmer. The vast expanse of land and nature made that clear. You really can't blow through here in 2 hours and expect to see close to everything. You need at least 4 or 5 to get a good sense of what it was like.
- Pros:There isn't only the mansion to see, but the various outbuildings and land.
- Cons:The tour groups in the mansion are packed in like sardines and herded like cattle.
- In a nutshell:You get a real sense of history up close and personal.
Strategically located at the entrance and exit of Mount Vernon, the gift shop offers every sort of whatnot related to... more travel advice
On he Potomac Spirit or Miss Christin you will learn how Washington relied on this historic body of water for his... more travel advice
b1bob's Related Pages
Mount Vernon Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Home of great farmer and the first US president !"
- "~Mount Vernon~"
- "George Washington Slept Here!"
- "MOUNT VERNON,VIRGINIA--Home Of Our First President"
- "a Sunny day at mount Vernon"
- "Washington's Mount Vernon Plantation"
- "Mount Vernon"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mount Vernon
- Hotels in Mount Vernon
- Transportation in Mount Vernon
- Restaurants in Mount Vernon
- Shopping in Mount Vernon
- Warnings and Dangers in Mount Vernon
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mount Vernon
- 16 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 22 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (29)
Have you been to Mount Vernon?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mount Vernon
Photos in Mount VernonSee All Photos (17)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 244 reviews, 480 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 203 reviews, 326 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Virginia Intro, 153 reviews, 241 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 80 reviews, 123 photos
- Mechanicsville Intro, 65 reviews, 121 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Charlotte Intro, 83 reviews, 91 photos, 1 travelogue
- Washington D.C. Intro, 70 reviews, 77 photos, 2 travelogues
- Virgilina Intro, 52 reviews, 85 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Williamsburg Intro, 51 reviews, 64 photos
- Europe Intro, 51 reviews, 53 photos