"Welcome to Mechanicsville, VA" Mechanicsville by b1bob
Mechanicsville Travel Guide: 82 reviews and 133 photos
Mechanicsville, Virginia is only 6 miles (10 km.) from the centre of Richmond (a real marker on the State Capitol grounds). When I was much younger, Mechanicsville still had a rural air. There was a small downtown and only one big grocery store. The windmill on the photo is a Mechanicsville landmark for people coming east on route 360. When McDonald's opened in 1979, that was the beginning of major development on Mechanicsville Turnpike which brightened the night skies in this part of town ever since. There is a rallying cry to limit the development. Folks from Mechanicsville are fiscal as well as cultural conservatives. They understand the value of the dollar and are supportive of entrepreneurship. However, they oppose overdevelopment of the area that threatens to turn this small town into a large city, like it did Fairfax County a few decades ago. When driving through here, you may see a lot of bumper stickers saying "Keep Hanover Hanover". That simply calls on the powers that be to reduce the rate of development and keep some vestiges of its rural heritage. The eastern and western parts are still very rural in nature and many people in the county want to keep it that way.
You know the windmill truly is a windmill.
You don't laugh and ask "like mechanics-ville?" when you hear someone is from Mechanicsville.
You know at least 5 different ways to get to Mechanicsville turnpike.
You remember when pole green used to be the way to AVOID traffic.
You remember when there was NO traffic.
You've been in school with the same kids since pre-school, those same kids you were in preschool with, their parents and your parents all went to school together.
You know what the tomato bowl and stew bowl are, and you'd never miss them.
You know that when on 295 you don't take the Mechanicsville exit to get to "Mechanicsville".
You brag about the fact that Jason Mraz went to your high school even if you didn’t know that until you heard about it in the news.
If you are at all athletic you know Joey Matthews and he knows your entire life story.
You know that if you go to the Mechanicsville Little League ballpark you can't leave without getting a double coloured sugar lolly so that you can dip it in your Coke.
Your parking lot monitor is the devil, unless you have a pack of cigarettes to give her.
Lee Davis' lots look like a monster truck ralley and Atlee's lots look like the school-wide edition of pimp-my-ride.
You remember when Lee Davis and Stonewall actually tried to change their mascot and school name because it was offensive, so at football games there is now a bulldog running around for reasons no one will ever understand.
You know what a "mud-bog" is and have probably been to a few.
You know the Bahama Snow Shack isn't just a snow cone, it’s the best shaved and flavoured ice you’ll ever taste and that Atlee's version isn't nearly as good.
You know not to go near the Wal-Mart Supercentre on a Saturday or Sunday unless you want to spend 3 hours in the checkout line
It takes you 30 minutes to get to school and more than hour to get there on the bus.
You know Old Church isn't a church at all, and if you don’t live there, you’re scared to drive on the roads out there at night.
You know West Store has the best macaroni and cheese and you personally know everyone who works there.
By the time the crime report is published in the Local, you've already heard or seen about the majority of them, and know or have heard of the people who committed the crime.
You've been saying your entire life that you can't wait to get out of Mechanicsville and never come back, but now that you’re gone, you realize you’ll come back and live here forever because it truly is a one-of-a-kind place.
In April, 2006 I heard a good new restaurant called Cedar Creek Tavern had opened on Route 301 and I wanted to try it out. On walking in, it was reminiscent of a bistro (see the fifth photo). I ended up eating in the bar area of the restaurant. Overall, the restaurant serves decent food and has a certain charm. Later on, they offered a more reasonably-priced menu: 10 items for less than $10.
Favourite Dish: On my first visit, had the chicken and shrimp primavera (tender breast of chicken, jumbo shrimp, diced tomatoes, and flame roasted vegetables sauteed in a white cream sauce over penne pasta, served with a house salad, and a slice of focaccia bread). The house salad was very simple (consisting of only lettuce, grape tomatoes, very mild
It closed sometime during the summer of 2007. As sophisticated as the come-heres like to think they have turned Mechanicsville, it is sadly not yet ready for an upmarket bistro.
Comparison: more expensive than average
Customer Satisfaction: 5/5
- Pros:A nice conservative suburban community without all the city's problems.
- Cons:Too much development along Mechanicsville Turnpike has stifled the once rural atmosphere.
- In a nutshell:Still a nice place to live if they don't take development much further.
In the summer of 2014, Juicy Lucy's opened up where Willie's Barbecue used to be. The first time I went here was for... more travel advice
From the outside, and even on the inside, Sapori seemed to me like a really classy restaurant. Like I always do, I test... more travel advice
b1bob's Related Pages
Mechanicsville Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Welcome to Mechanicsville, VA"
- "Mechanicsville, my hometown"
- "A horrible Richmond suburb"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mechanicsville
- Hotels in Mechanicsville
- Transportation in Mechanicsville
- Nightlife in Mechanicsville
- Restaurants in Mechanicsville
- Shopping in Mechanicsville
- Warnings and Dangers in Mechanicsville
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mechanicsville
- 65 Reviews
- 116 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 90 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (46)
Have you been to Mechanicsville?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mechanicsville
- Uploaded a Photo to "burgers, hot dogs and more"
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: Seeing which friends are online"
- Wrote a Review burgers, hot dogs and more in Mechanicsville Restaurants
- updated a Mechanicsville Travel Page "Welcome to Mechanicsville, VA"
- Commented on one of gipper84's Mechanicsville travel pages
Photos in MechanicsvilleSee All Photos (116)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 244 reviews, 480 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 203 reviews, 326 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Virginia Intro, 154 reviews, 244 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 80 reviews, 123 photos
- Mechanicsville Intro, 65 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Charlotte Intro, 83 reviews, 91 photos, 1 travelogue
- Washington D.C. Intro, 70 reviews, 77 photos, 2 travelogues
- Virgilina Intro, 52 reviews, 85 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Williamsburg Intro, 51 reviews, 64 photos
- Europe Intro, 51 reviews, 53 photos