"Mathews 23109" Mathews by b1bob
Mathews Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 18 photos
A few weeks before I took a day trip to Mathews, Virginia, it never really occurred to me to go there, despite having an open invitation by friends of my family. However, a little more than a week beforehand, Gaynelle told me the town was having a festival called Market Days which, by her description, was rather like the Virgilina Summerfest: a carnival atmosphere with lots of crafts kiosks and food. She also invited me to pop in on them at their weekend and holiday getaway in nearby Port Haywood. Besides, this is my first new VT page in quite awhile.
On Saturday, 6 September 2003, I was off for Mathews a little bit later than I planned. It was a pleasant ride especially going through the more sparsely populated middle peninsula towns like West Point (the Army academy is in New York state, not Virginia). Hearing the tyres cross the drawbridges reminded me of a time when I was really young and such unusual noises freaked me out.
Mathews is a typical small town on the Chesapeake Bay. It's a little larger than Virgilina, Virginia, closer to the size of Oxford, North Carolina. The festival was about like what I expected. I was impressed with the general store. I was really happy to see a Rexall sign (because that usually means a soda fountain is inside). I found out it had closed a few years back, but locals tell me it will reopen as a soda fountain. When it does, I will update my tip.
On 18 September 2003, Hurricane Isabel put much of Mathews, Virginia under water. Some places had more than 8 feet (2,5 m.) of water. For a brief time, the Chesapeake Bay and Mobjack Bay came together. Sammy and Gaynelle's place was totally flooded, but they vowed to rebuild.
- Pros:Small town America in action.
- Cons:Too far off the beaten path for most.
This shop is in what once was a private home and it looks, for all the world, like an ongoing yard sale. All manner of... more travel advice
Just south of town, friends of my family- Sammy and Gaynelle own a holiday house right on Winter Harbour in Port... more travel advice
b1bob's Related Pages
Mathews Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mathews 23109"
- "Mathews County VA, USA"
- "The Sleepy Tidewater Town of Mathews"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mathews
- Hotels in Mathews
- Transportation in Mathews
- Restaurants in Mathews
- Shopping in Mathews
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mathews
- 15 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 33 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (29)
Have you been to Mathews?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mathews
Photos in MathewsSee All Photos (16)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 244 reviews, 480 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 203 reviews, 326 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Virginia Intro, 153 reviews, 241 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 80 reviews, 123 photos
- Mechanicsville Intro, 65 reviews, 121 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Charlotte Intro, 83 reviews, 91 photos, 1 travelogue
- Washington D.C. Intro, 70 reviews, 77 photos, 2 travelogues
- Virgilina Intro, 52 reviews, 85 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Williamsburg Intro, 51 reviews, 64 photos
- Europe Intro, 51 reviews, 53 photos