"Glen Allen: a little history in the suburbs" Glen Allen by b1bob
Glen Allen Travel Guide: 24 reviews and 33 photos
Glen Allen would seem to be just another bedroom community in the suburbs of western Henrico County. To a large extent, that is correct. There are plenty of shopping centres and strip malls in Glen Allen that leave almost no evidence of its rural heritage. Glen Allen in 2006 is what Mechanicsville and other parts of Hanover County will be in 2020 if we do nothing to put the brakes on the unrestrained growth. Mountain Road was the road often traveled by Thomas Jefferson in colonial times between Williamsburg and Charlottesville. The last vestiges of its of its rural past is the Meadow Farm at Crump Park and the Courtney Road Service Station which only serves as an historic monument.
Friends from outside the area might not know exactly where Glen Allen is located. It is northwest of the city of Richmond. Along I-295, exits 43 through to 53 will put you in Glen Allen.
- Pros:A nice safe community (for now) in which to live and raise a family.
- Cons:Blind and unfettered development is swallowing up the green space.
- In a nutshell:A cautionary example of unchecked growth.
Sometimes, you have to go some to go sightseeing and on rare occasions the sights pop up unexpectedly. I first happened... more travel advice
Class and Trash is one of the funkier antique stores in the area. It is a two-storey brick building next to a garage on... more travel advice
b1bob's Related Pages
Glen Allen Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Glen Allen
- Hotels in Glen Allen
- Restaurants in Glen Allen
- Shopping in Glen Allen
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Glen Allen
- 21 Reviews
- 33 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (46)
Have you been to Glen Allen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Glen Allen
Photos in Glen AllenSee All Photos (33)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 244 reviews, 480 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 203 reviews, 326 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Virginia Intro, 154 reviews, 244 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 80 reviews, 123 photos
- Mechanicsville Intro, 66 reviews, 122 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Charlotte Intro, 83 reviews, 91 photos, 1 travelogue
- Washington D.C. Intro, 70 reviews, 77 photos, 2 travelogues
- Virgilina Intro, 52 reviews, 85 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Williamsburg Intro, 51 reviews, 64 photos
- Europe Intro, 51 reviews, 53 photos