"The Northernmost Truly Southern City" Top 5 Page for this destination Fredericksburg by b1bob

Fredericksburg Travel Guide: 189 reviews and 545 photos

They say in real estate that the 3 most important things are location, location, location. Before the Europeans settled here, the Indians liked it for the hunting and fishing. The latter was made good by the falls at the Rapidan and Rappahannock Rivers. At the time Fredericksburg was first settled in 1728, the fall line was the first frontier. During the Revolutionary War, Fredericksburg made a sizeable contribution because it was far enough from Williamsburg to be safe from any immediate retribution. Five Revolutionary generals hailed from the Fredericksburg area. Thomas Jefferson had a meeting here in 1777 to establish the Virginia Statute of Religious Freedom. Fredericksburg's location was key again during the War for Southern Independence as it is at the precise midpoint between Washington and the Richmond (then capital of the Confederacy). The downtown was nearly destroyed in December, 1862. Other battles took place nearby but further out in the countryside. Unlike many places, Fredericksburg has preserved its history so well that much of it is original, not reproduced.

Currently, Fredericksburg does well in terms of tourism. There is the history- some of which is gone over in this page, many quaint gift and antique shops, and ample self-styled fine dining restaurants. I have been through here countless times en route between the Richmond area and Northern Virginia, but the first time I really took an in-depth look into the history, the food, and the shopping in Fredericksburg. My friend Lee and I both toured the city together on a Saturday of mixed weather. During our tour, we got rained on at times. Knowing little or nothing when we got there, our waitress helped us plan out our tour. This trip emphasised for me how close George Washington's ties were to Fredericksburg. He was raised as a Mason at Lodge no. 4. His brother Charles lived at what is now the Rising Sun Tavern, his sister Betty with her husband lived at Kenmore House, and his mama lived nearby at what would later be widely called the Mary Washington House.

• Pros:The history comes alive in the old town.
  • Cons:Parking, even at the weekend, is almost theoretical.
  • In a nutshell:Enjoy the historical sights, shops, and streets, but bring along a lot of patience.
  • Last visit to Fredericksburg: Apr 2005
  • Intro Updated May 1, 2005

• starship's Profile Photo
    Jul 21, 2011 at 8:22 AM

Although I am a native Virginian, I never visited Fredericksburg until last year's VT meet there. I loved it!! Can't wait to go back! And downtown parking was FREE!

• Jan 26, 2009 at 4:24 AM

Another great and full of information page

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Oct 31, 2007 at 7:29 PM

What a great page. Enjoyed learning more about American history. Cheers, SL :)

• Jun 24, 2007 at 12:08 AM

The photo (labeled "Fredericksburg courthouse") is of the former Wallace Library building, which is located next to the courthouse. The courthouse is a notable landmark, recognizable by its cupola, which is still prominent on the city skyline.

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo
    Feb 26, 2007 at 7:02 AM

Excellent page, Nat. You make me prouder than ever of my already proud Southern heritage.

• basstbn's Profile Photo
    Feb 23, 2007 at 4:50 PM

Very helpful and practical hints for visiting F-Burg. Thanks for your good work. (Nice photos, too)

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo
    Feb 23, 2007 at 9:01 AM

I believe my next trip to DC will include a trip to FXBG. I need a little southern hospitality when in the heart of the liberal majority.

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Dec 20, 2006 at 4:00 PM

Nice page bob!

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Oct 4, 2006 at 10:08 AM

Looks like you could get your fill of 1800's architecture and Washington family history here. Yes, and then there is that line.

• mtncorg's Profile Photo
    Sep 20, 2006 at 8:48 AM

Look forward to seeing the history of F'Burg soon. Thanks for the good heads up with your tips!

b1bob

Badges & Stats in Fredericksburg

Have you been to Fredericksburg?