"The Northernmost Truly Southern City" Top 5 Page for this destination Fredericksburg by b1bob
Fredericksburg Travel Guide: 198 reviews and 581 photos
They say in real estate that the 3 most important things are location, location, location. Before the Europeans settled here, the Indians liked it for the hunting and fishing. The latter was made good by the falls at the Rapidan and Rappahannock Rivers. At the time Fredericksburg was first settled in 1728, the fall line was the first frontier. During the Revolutionary War, Fredericksburg made a sizeable contribution because it was far enough from Williamsburg to be safe from any immediate retribution. Five Revolutionary generals hailed from the Fredericksburg area. Thomas Jefferson had a meeting here in 1777 to establish the Virginia Statute of Religious Freedom. Fredericksburg's location was key again during the War for Southern Independence as it is at the precise midpoint between Washington and the Richmond (then capital of the Confederacy). The downtown was nearly destroyed in December, 1862. Other battles took place nearby but further out in the countryside. Unlike many places, Fredericksburg has preserved its history so well that much of it is original, not reproduced.
Currently, Fredericksburg does well in terms of tourism. There is the history- some of which is gone over in this page, many quaint gift and antique shops, and ample self-styled fine dining restaurants. I have been through here countless times en route between the Richmond area and Northern Virginia, but the first time I really took an in-depth look into the history, the food, and the shopping in Fredericksburg. My friend Lee and I both toured the city together on a Saturday of mixed weather. During our tour, we got rained on at times. Knowing little or nothing when we got there, our waitress helped us plan out our tour. This trip emphasised for me how close George Washington's ties were to Fredericksburg. He was raised as a Mason at Lodge no. 4. His brother Charles lived at what is now the Rising Sun Tavern, his sister Betty with her husband lived at Kenmore House, and his mama lived nearby at what would later be widely called the Mary Washington House.
- Pros:The history comes alive in the old town.
- Cons:Parking, even at the weekend, is almost theoretical.
- In a nutshell:Enjoy the historical sights, shops, and streets, but bring along a lot of patience.
The Fredericksburg Area Museum and Cultural Center is located in the old 1816 Town Hall and Market House. The upper... more travel advice
The Fredericksburg National Cemetery became a National Cemetery in 1865. This graveyard that is the final resting place... more travel advice
b1bob's Related Pages
Fredericksburg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Northernmost Truly Southern City"
- "fredericksburg virginia"
- "FREDERICKSBURG VIRGINIA"
- "Civilised & Revolutionary"
- "Fredericksburg, VA"
- "FREDERICKSBURG - HISTORY ON THE RAPPAHANOCK"
- "Fredericksburg: a paradoxical city"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Fredericksburg
- Hotels in Fredericksburg
- Transportation in Fredericksburg
- Nightlife in Fredericksburg
- Restaurants in Fredericksburg
- Shopping in Fredericksburg
- Warnings and Dangers in Fredericksburg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Fredericksburg
- 27 Reviews
- 28 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 25 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (47)
Have you been to Fredericksburg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fredericksburg
Photos in FredericksburgSee All Photos (28)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 250 reviews, 498 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 203 reviews, 326 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Virginia Intro, 154 reviews, 245 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 80 reviews, 123 photos
- Mechanicsville Intro, 67 reviews, 131 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Charlotte Intro, 83 reviews, 91 photos, 1 travelogue
- Washington D.C. Intro, 76 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Virgilina Intro, 52 reviews, 85 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Williamsburg Intro, 51 reviews, 64 photos
- Europe Intro, 51 reviews, 53 photos