Doswell Off The Beaten Path Tips by b1bob
Doswell Off The Beaten Path: 2 reviews and 2 photos
Charles Chiswell acquired about 10000 acres in what is now western Hanover County in 1717. It was named Scotchtown because he brought over a bunch of Scotsmen to build the main house and the outbuildings. Scotchtown is most famous for the seven years (1771-78) Hanover native Patrick Henry owned it. Scotchtown today contains several items that originally belonged to Henry. He lived there during the time he gave his famous "Liberty or Death" speech at St. John's Church in Richmond. The death of his wife made Henry's ownership of the house relatively brief as he left Hanover County, never to come back. I took a field trip here in April, 1978 with my third grade class. I haven't been inside the house since, but I did take some pictures from the outside.
Adults will pay $7. Groups of adults are reduced to $5. Starting 1 April 2007, there will be a combination ticket which allows for tours of Scotchtown and Hanover Tavern. It is open April through to October: Thursday-Saturday 10 a.m.-4:30 p.m.; Sunday 1:30 p.m.-4:30 p.m. or by appointment. It is closed Easter, Mother's Day, and 4 July.
DIRECTIONS from I-95: Take exit 92 B. Follow Rt. 54 West through Ashland about 8 mi (13 km). Turn right on Scotchtown Rd. and follow signs.
Phone: (804) 227-3500
Daddy, Hunter and me with pumpkins (Oct. 1979)
Children of all ages, including the 10-year old on the right in the photo, enjoy Ashland Berry Farm's "pick your own" strawberries and pumpkins, hayrides, and bonfires.
12607 Old Ridge Rd., Beaverdam, VA 23015
From I-95: Take exit 92-B (Ashland). Head west on Route 54. Turn Right onto Route 1 North. Go 4-5 miles (7-8 km.). Turn left on Rt. 738 (Old Ridge Road) and go another 4-5 miles (7-8 km.). The farm is on the left.
More Reviews (40)
- See All Shrimp 'n Suds Feast
- See All Everything old is new again
- See All Tired of the confiscatory King's...
- See All Doughtie's Barbecue and Taco Gazebo
- See All White Water Canyon
b1bob's Related Pages
Doswell Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Of course it's mainly on King's Dominion"
- "DOSWELL - MORE THAN RIDES TO BE FOUND OUT HERE"
- "Kings Dominion"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Doswell
- Hotels in Doswell
- Restaurants in Doswell
- Shopping in Doswell
- Warnings and Dangers in Doswell
- See All...
Explore the World
- Fair Hill Hotels
- Fort Caroline Hotels
- Scotland Hotels
- Departamento de Lima Hotels
- Mullet Key
- Madurai Off The Beaten Path
- Hintersteiner See Off The Beaten Path
- Everglades National Park Off The Beaten Path
- Nairobi Off The Beaten Path
- Big Sur Off The Beaten Path
- Scuol Off The Beaten Path
- 't Eilandje
- Dingle Peninsula
- Galway Off The Beaten Path
- St. Augustine (45 minutes S of Downtown)
- Dahlonega Off The Beaten Path
Badges & Stats in Doswell
- 42 Reviews
- 47 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 27 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (29)
Have you been to Doswell?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Doswell
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 243 reviews, 479 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 203 reviews, 326 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Virginia Intro, 152 reviews, 240 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 80 reviews, 123 photos
- Mechanicsville Intro, 65 reviews, 121 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Charlotte Intro, 83 reviews, 91 photos, 1 travelogue
- Washington D.C. Intro, 70 reviews, 77 photos, 2 travelogues
- Virgilina Intro, 52 reviews, 85 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Williamsburg Intro, 51 reviews, 64 photos
- Europe Intro, 51 reviews, 53 photos