"Of course it's mainly on King's Dominion" Doswell by b1bob
Doswell Travel Guide: 46 reviews and 63 photos
Some folks have criticised this page as being only on King's Dominion amusement park. What else would they have me write it about? The neighbouring horse pastures? To be fair, there is the truck stop restaurant across the street and the hidden in plain sight restored Squashapenny Junction general cum antique store. For the most part, the undeniable truth is that King's Dominion is the number one attraction and the prime source of revenue for the locality and one of the top sources for Hanover County and Central Virginia on the whole. If you look at many of the pages on Orlando and Anaheim, for example, Disney World and Disneyland dominate those pages.
King's Dominion started out as Lion Country Safari in 1974. Back then, there was no park, just a drive-through sightseeing tour of the exotic animal park. When you bought your ticket, they gave you a recorded description of the exotic animals along the designated route. On 3 May 1975, King's Dominion, as it is known today, opened. Like most theme parks, it is divided into sections. International Street is where most shops and a good many restaurants are located. Hanna-Barbera land is for the kiddies and various cartoon characters visit them as they hop from miniature ride to miniature ride. Safari Land has a Darkest Africa theme. The monorail which runs through the wild life preserve is in there and later they built Lost World mountain with 3 rides. Candy Apple Grove looks like the midway at the average fun fair. My favourite section is Old Virginia. The rides are called things like Shenandoah Lumber Company log flume, Blue Ridge Parkway, Old Dominion Railroad, and the Rebel Yell roller coaster.
My family had season passes from 1978-1984, but we went quite a lot before 1978 and I have been a handful of times since 1984. The most common days of the week to make use of them were Sunday afternoons and Thursday evenings (when there weren't enough people there to square dance).
The park has changed and not wholly for the better. I like the newer and wilder roller coasters such as the Anaconda. I don't like the fact that they took out some of my favourite rides like the Galaxy, the Apple Turnover, and the King Kobra. Some things are still there, however. The Rebel Yell is still thrilling people, only with a new and improved twist. One one track, it goes forwards as normal, on the other it goes backwards. My page has a lot of fond memories of the late '70s and early '80s, but there are still plenty of present-day must see activities and other helpful tips.
- Pros:King's Dominion still draws the crowds with great rides and shows.
- Cons:In order to make way for the new, they took away some good rides and attractions.
- In a nutshell:Change for its own sake isn't necessarily a good thing.
The Shrimp 'n Suds Feast is sponsored by the Hanover County Rotary Club to benefit local youth and family charities.... more travel advice
Squashapenny Junction is one of the best-preserved rural stores in Hanover County. Its original run lasted 90 years up... more travel advice
b1bob's Related Pages
Doswell Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Of course it's mainly on King's Dominion"
- "DOSWELL - MORE THAN RIDES TO BE FOUND OUT HERE"
- "Kings Dominion"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Doswell
- Hotels in Doswell
- Restaurants in Doswell
- Shopping in Doswell
- Warnings and Dangers in Doswell
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Doswell
- 42 Reviews
- 47 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 26 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (29)
Have you been to Doswell?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Doswell
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 244 reviews, 480 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 203 reviews, 326 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Virginia Intro, 153 reviews, 241 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 80 reviews, 123 photos
- Mechanicsville Intro, 65 reviews, 121 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Charlotte Intro, 83 reviews, 91 photos, 1 travelogue
- Washington D.C. Intro, 70 reviews, 77 photos, 2 travelogues
- Virgilina Intro, 52 reviews, 85 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Williamsburg Intro, 51 reviews, 64 photos
- Europe Intro, 51 reviews, 53 photos