"b1bob & friends go to Charles City, VA" Charles City by b1bob
Charles City Travel Guide: 95 reviews and 185 photos
Charles City County, Virginia is a mostly rural county midway between Richmond and Williamsburg. Two main things support the local economy: rubbish and tourism. A large landfill which takes out-of-state rubbish employs many locals. Fortunately, it is well away from the plantation country along the river. Most of the plantations along the James River give tours, but the tourism industry here is at the mercy of these private property owners. The owners of Evelynton Plantation suddenly decided to close the property off to tourists some time between 2002 and 2007.
Are my guests and me the only ones on here who are willing to partake in the genuine beauty of Charles City County and the plantations along the James River? Granted, it is a bit off the beaten path, but you miss out on the true essence of Virginia (which is definitely not the concrete canyons of Northern Virginia) if you carry on overlooking the James River Plantations. Here are directions, so you no longer have any excuse to miss them.
From Richmond International (Byrd) Airport: Go NW on Richard E Byrd Terminal Dr for 0.2 miles (3.2 km.). Turn hard left onto Airport Dr. Turn right onto Eubank Rd 0.7 miles (1.1 km.). Turn left onto Laburnum Ave. 3.9 miles (6.3 km.). Turn left onto VA-5. Proceed to the plantation of your choice.
From I-95 (from Washington, DC): Merge onto I-295 S via EXIT 84A on the LEFT toward ROCKY MT NC. 22 mi. (35 km.) Merge onto VA-5 E via EXIT 22A toward CHARLES CITY proceeding eastward to the plantation of your choice.
From I-95 (from North Carolina): Merge onto I-295 N via EXIT 46 toward WASHINGTON. 2.9 miles (5 km.) Merge onto US-460 W/COUNTY DR via EXIT 3B toward PETERSBURG. 1.1 miles (1.7 km.) Turn RIGHT onto COURTHOUSE RD/VA-106. Continue to follow VA-106. 9.3 miles (15 km.) Turn RIGHT onto JAMES RIVER DR/VA-10 E/VA-106 E. 0.7 miles (1 km.) Turn LEFT onto VA-106/VA-156/JORDAN POINT RD. Continue to follow VA-106/VA-156. 4 miles (6.5 km.) Turn RIGHT onto VA-5/JOHN TYLER MEMORIAL HWY proceeding eastward to the plantation of your choice.
From I-64 (from Charlottesville): Merge onto I-295 S via EXIT 177 toward WASHINGTON/NORFOLK. 31.1 miles (50 km.) Merge onto VA-5 E via EXIT 22A toward CHARLES CITY go east to the plantation of your choice.
From I-64 (from Norfolk): Merge onto VA-199 W via EXIT 242A toward WILLIAMSBURG/BUSCH GARDENS/JAMESTOWN. 6.0 miles (9.7 km.) Turn LEFT onto VA-5 W/JOHN TYLER MEMORIAL HWY and proceed westward 20-30 miles (32-48 km.) to the plantation of your choice.
- Pros:Beautiful countryside along plantation row (Route 5).
- Cons:There are only two non-chain restaurants in the area.
- In a nutshell:Enjoy the countryside and tour the plantations, but brown bag lunch if you don't like expensive fare.
After a morning of placing miniature U.S. flags by mailboxes, Del. Chris Peace's New Kent crew took the water taxi... more travel advice
Despite the political impulses and trends at work in the summer of 2015, I am optimistic that the sense of history in... more travel advice
b1bob's Related Pages
Charles City Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Land of James River plantations"
- "b1bob & friends go to Charles City, VA"
- "Plantation Row"
- "Charles City, Virginia..home of plantation 2001"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Charles City
- Hotels in Charles City
- Transportation in Charles City
- Nightlife in Charles City
- Restaurants in Charles City
- Shopping in Charles City
- Warnings and Dangers in Charles City
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Charles City
- 23 Reviews
- 57 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 21 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (47)
Have you been to Charles City?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Charles City
- Posted in Travel Tangier Island Forum "Re: Heating in winter"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Great food with a view"
- Wrote a Review Great food with a view about Blue Heron in Charles City Restaurants
- updated a Charles City Travel Page "b1bob & friends go to Charles City, VA"
- Commented on one of kanglana's Charles City travel pages
Photos in Charles CitySee All Photos (57)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 251 reviews, 500 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 203 reviews, 326 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Virginia Intro, 154 reviews, 245 photos, 2 travelogues
- Mechanicsville Intro, 69 reviews, 136 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 80 reviews, 123 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Charlotte Intro, 83 reviews, 91 photos, 1 travelogue
- Washington D.C. Intro, 76 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Virgilina Intro, 52 reviews, 85 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Williamsburg Intro, 51 reviews, 64 photos
- Europe Intro, 51 reviews, 53 photos