"The centre of the universe" Top 5 Page for this destination Ashland by b1bob
Ashland Travel Guide: 65 reviews and 110 photos
In spite of their snobbish contention that Ashland is the centre of the universe, I like showing my friends from out of town the fine architecture, the intriguing cultural differences with the rest of the county, and fine dining opportunities.
This town in north-central Hanover County doesn't have a whole lot in the way of tourism the way international travelers on VT might think, but it is not totally barren either. Along Railroad Avenue, the railroad tracks bisect the street lined by houses (some old and elegant). There is also the interesting architecture at Randolph Macon College. Christian Boettcher Leipzig and I had more time to give Ashland a better going-over. We had a self-guided tour of many of the old houses and businesses, the college campus, and the predominantly black Berkleytown.
The first time many of you had heard of Ashland, Virginia is during the October, 2002 shooting spree of the sniper. At this crime scene, the Ponderosa Steak House on Route 54, the victim was luckier than most. He survived with major internal injuries. Ashland seemed to get more coverage of the shooting than others because it is a fairly rural town not used to that type of crime.
Ashland is a great place to make part of a day trip. Go to the visitor's centre and train station first and they will get you where you want to go.
- Pros:Ashland is basically a nice, friendly small town with a rural flavour and some historical sights.
- Cons:They may be at the centre of the county, but hardly the centre of the universe.
- In a nutshell:The town in aesthetically pleasing, but you have to wonder about the people sometimes.
Hickory Creek Antiques is a mall of over 30 vendors at the Ashland Town Center shopping centre just west of downtown... more travel advice
At the fork of Rt. 54 and Rt. 33, Bamboo is an uncommonly good Chinese restaurant, notwithstanding the fact it's in the... more travel advice
- See All Centre of the universe?
- Montpelier Centre for Arts and Education
- See All Berkleytown
- See All Old houses along Center Street (odd)
b1bob's Related Pages
Ashland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The centre of the universe"
- "ASHLAND, VA"
- "ashland vrginia"
- "Ashland Travel Guide"
- "Old Railroad Town"
- "Truck Stop on I-95"
- "Historic Ashland"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ashland
- Hotels in Ashland
- Transportation in Ashland
- Nightlife in Ashland
- Restaurants in Ashland
- Shopping in Ashland
- Warnings and Dangers in Ashland
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ashland
- 35 Reviews
- 68 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (29)
Have you been to Ashland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ashland
Photos in AshlandSee All Photos (68)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 244 reviews, 480 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 203 reviews, 326 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Virginia Intro, 153 reviews, 241 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 80 reviews, 123 photos
- Mechanicsville Intro, 65 reviews, 121 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Charlotte Intro, 83 reviews, 91 photos, 1 travelogue
- Washington D.C. Intro, 70 reviews, 77 photos, 2 travelogues
- Virgilina Intro, 52 reviews, 85 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Williamsburg Intro, 51 reviews, 64 photos
- Europe Intro, 51 reviews, 53 photos