"b1bob does Arlington" Top 5 Page for this destination Arlington by b1bob

Arlington Travel Guide: 483 reviews and 1,161 photos

When I visit my old university friends in Northern Virginia, sometimes I stop by Arlington. I have escorted two of my foreign friends to Arlington National Cemetery. My most recent visit to Arlington included my first ever VT meeting. We stayed at the Sheraton National Hotel and had the VT meeting at the Jaleo Tapas Bar. There are many more places to eat and unique shopping centres such as Ballston Common and Pentagon City, which house many shops but are high rise to make up for scarce land area. The Crystal City Shops go an entirely different route by going wholly underground. The gleaming skylines of Rosslyn and Crystal City are a stark contrast to the historic (shorter, less modern) buildings of Alexandria and Washington, DC. Arlington is about more than the cemetery and the nearby Pentagon.

Yes, the Pentagon is actually across the Potomac River in Arlington, VA, not in Washington, D.C. What is now Arlington County, Virginia was, until 1847, a part of Washington, DC.

• Pros:Arlington is a stone's throw from Washington, DC
  • Cons:The traffic is awful and sometimes the layout of the streets is confusing.
  • In a nutshell:It's a great place to dine, shop, and take pictures.
  • Last visit to Arlington: Oct 2004
  • Intro Updated Nov 21, 2004

• Dec 29, 2008 at 9:25 AM

Useful tips, pictures like all your websites Nat! I like the Ballston Common Metro Station pictures (excellent architecture).

• dr.firas's Profile Photo
    Apr 22, 2005 at 7:15 AM

Very good written tips and nice Vt meeting of your friends! :-)) Very cool dear nat, busting LOL What a great meeting full of lovely faces and smiles, I wish I could share you too ;-))) looks like a great fun hotel ;-))

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo
    Apr 16, 2005 at 9:46 AM

Good show meeting the former governor. Never a bad thing to meet the man in charge!

• easyoar's Profile Photo
    Apr 13, 2005 at 1:03 PM

Well I have been to Virginia, if only just - popped in Arlington for a few hours from DC. Who snapped the Plum Knackered tip? Nice tips! and Nice update!

• belgianchocolate's Profile Photo
    Apr 11, 2005 at 7:51 PM

Indeed the mural looks quit spĂȘctacular.

• tpangelinan's Profile Photo
    Apr 2, 2005 at 4:26 PM

Great page Nat. We are going to DC next week and stay in Arlington, Thanks for the info as always! :o)

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Dec 10, 2004 at 9:02 PM

Well, I'm a gonna raise a fuss, I'm a gonna raise a holler....about workin' all summer tryin' to make a dollar.....ain't no cure for the VT dinner blues. As per usual, making me hungry.

• seamandrew's Profile Photo
    Dec 4, 2004 at 1:10 PM

Great to hear about the Adventures of b1bob in Arlington. I had no idea about all the flight regulations in and out of Reagan.. I did know it was the last to open, but not about the 30 minute no standng rule.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Dec 2, 2004 at 6:17 PM

Plumb knackered tip is the best :-) Great page with a lot of good info. Interesting tip on HOV lines! And very nice update on meetings with friends! Haha, Sweatin' to the oldies :-) Nice to hear you had great first VT-meeting!

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Nov 18, 2004 at 10:02 AM

Sounds like it was good that you missed the train as you met many nice people and had a great time!

b1bob

Badges & Stats in Arlington

Have you been to Arlington?

Latest Activity in Arlington