"b1bob passes frequently through Alexandria, VA" Top 5 Page for this destination Alexandria by b1bob

Alexandria Travel Guide: 461 reviews and 1,503 photos

If I had a nickel for every time I passed through here, I'd be able to stay for a week at Embassy Suites on Diagonal Road near the Amtrak and metro stations and be able to eat at the fancier restaurants closer to the water front for the whole of that week.

My favourite part of the city is the old town part. Some folks might call it a little touristy, but I rather like its charm in spite of its being overrun with fellow tourists and the prices in some of these restaurants and shops.

Mostly, Alexandria was the place where I would take the Amtrak to Richmond during my university years (taking the metro from Vienna through to King Street). On a few occasions since graduation (1991), I have ventured part way into Old town to sample the cuisine at places like the Taverna Cretekou and the Rock It Grill.

On 23 February 2003, I made a serious attempt to photograph a good part of the Old Town section. Because of a late start and the time constraint caused by failing sunlight, I didn't get nearly everything I wanted done. However, Alexandria is just 101 miles (163 km.) from home, I can easily come back and build on this.

Special thanks go to VT member SeagoingJLW for pointing me in the right direction. When I left here on the morning of 23 February to visit Arlington and Alexandria, it was 57° (14°C), but I had been told that it would be cooler and windier up there. Otherwise, I would have frozen.

• Pros:The charm of the Old Town area.
  • Cons:The traffic, the prices at some businesses, and being overrun by tourists.
  • Last visit to Alexandria: Feb 2003
  • Intro Updated May 4, 2003

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Aug 6, 2008 at 10:47 AM

Hey, Nat, I loved the sound of the Apothecary Museum! Your food are always good, but I enjoyed your review of the Taverna Creteleou the best. When I saw Matt, he told me to tell you "HI!"

• travelfrosch's Profile Photo
    Apr 30, 2008 at 4:59 PM

Rock It Grill has regular ads on cable around here (though I've never been there...:) I just took the In-Laws to the Chart House for Sunday Brunch -- they were most impressed. Thanks for a detailed and personal look at Alexandria. Cheers, Mark

• Jan 13, 2008 at 6:18 PM

Lovely page! Nikos

• Mar 26, 2007 at 11:28 PM

Old Town Alexandria is one of the nation's most vibrant, charming, and engaging places to spend an afternoon. Historic character abounds, great shops and restaurants, terrific waterfront. Very walkable, or take free bus from King St. Metro Station

• Sep 21, 2006 at 12:09 PM

The Pentagon is still located in Arlington.

• 807Wheaton's Profile Photo
    Dec 4, 2005 at 4:49 PM

We will be staying in Alexandria for a few days while visiting D.C. later this month. The Greek Restaurant sounds very good.....Thanks. Greetings from Georgia

• sayedaburas's Profile Photo
    Jun 2, 2005 at 8:46 PM

Greetings from my Alexandria to you at yours.

• easyoar's Profile Photo
    Apr 13, 2005 at 1:10 PM

Alexandria received 27"- 67,5 cm.- of snow!!! Wow, and I see it caused you to come a bit of a cropper too! Well I hope the head is better now... Nice page!

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Feb 5, 2005 at 2:52 PM

GREAT page, excellent tips and amazing pictures! Very useful map of the Old Town! Nat, did you learn Taekwondo in Rose Hill Shopping Center?

• tpal's Profile Photo
    Jan 14, 2005 at 11:17 AM

Hi Nat, My son lived in Alexandria for about a year. I always thought the Geo. Washington Monument was a little odd but you sure can't miss it. Nice to see 27" of snow there...we see it often w/o the warm weather after...no sand bags needed...Tom

b1bob

Badges & Stats in Alexandria

Have you been to Alexandria?

Latest Activity in Alexandria