"b1bob passes frequently through Alexandria, VA" Top 5 Page for this destination Alexandria by b1bob
Alexandria Travel Guide: 461 reviews and 1,503 photos
If I had a nickel for every time I passed through here, I'd be able to stay for a week at Embassy Suites on Diagonal Road near the Amtrak and metro stations and be able to eat at the fancier restaurants closer to the water front for the whole of that week.
My favourite part of the city is the old town part. Some folks might call it a little touristy, but I rather like its charm in spite of its being overrun with fellow tourists and the prices in some of these restaurants and shops.
Mostly, Alexandria was the place where I would take the Amtrak to Richmond during my university years (taking the metro from Vienna through to King Street). On a few occasions since graduation (1991), I have ventured part way into Old town to sample the cuisine at places like the Taverna Cretekou and the Rock It Grill.
On 23 February 2003, I made a serious attempt to photograph a good part of the Old Town section. Because of a late start and the time constraint caused by failing sunlight, I didn't get nearly everything I wanted done. However, Alexandria is just 101 miles (163 km.) from home, I can easily come back and build on this.
Special thanks go to VT member SeagoingJLW for pointing me in the right direction. When I left here on the morning of 23 February to visit Arlington and Alexandria, it was 57° (14°C), but I had been told that it would be cooler and windier up there. Otherwise, I would have frozen.
- Pros:The charm of the Old Town area.
- Cons:The traffic, the prices at some businesses, and being overrun by tourists.
When I came up for the inauguration, I stayed with my good friend Tim in a residential neighbourhood in Alexandria. I... more travel advice
This is a map of Old Town to get you aquainted with the area. Most of the Old Town shops and restaurants are within a... more travel advice
b1bob's Related Pages
Alexandria Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Alexandria, once part of Washington, now almost DC"
- "Historical Alexandria"
- "b1bob passes frequently through Alexandria, VA"
- "Hello, Welcome to Old Town Alexandria"
- "A visit to Alexandria Old Town"
- "Alexandria: Washington's Best Suburb"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Alexandria
- Hotels in Alexandria
- Transportation in Alexandria
- Nightlife in Alexandria
- Restaurants in Alexandria
- Shopping in Alexandria
- Warnings and Dangers in Alexandria
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Alexandria
- 26 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 32 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (29)
Have you been to Alexandria?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Alexandria
Photos in AlexandriaSee All Photos (27)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 244 reviews, 480 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 203 reviews, 326 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Virginia Intro, 153 reviews, 241 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 80 reviews, 123 photos
- Mechanicsville Intro, 65 reviews, 121 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Charlotte Intro, 83 reviews, 91 photos, 1 travelogue
- Washington D.C. Intro, 70 reviews, 77 photos, 2 travelogues
- Virgilina Intro, 52 reviews, 85 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Williamsburg Intro, 51 reviews, 64 photos
- Europe Intro, 51 reviews, 53 photos