"b1bob's non-PC Columbia adventures" Top 5 Page for this destination Columbia by b1bob
Columbia Travel Guide: 217 reviews and 295 photos
Soon after the Revolutionary War, the South Carolina legislature decided to move the capital in a more central location in the state, halfway between the coast and the up country. They wanted also to symbolise the new beginning by moving away from an aristocratic city named for British royalty to one named for the discoverer of America. In February, 1865, General Sherman's troops burnt the majority of Columbia except the State House, built on high ground above the Congaree River. The biggest industries in the city are state government, the university and the military (Fort Jackson is just east of the city). The most prominent private employers are insurance and banking.
I got a favourable impression of Columbia literally straightaway on emerging from the car. A gentleman walking down the street made a point to greet this total stranger on his first trip ever to Columbia. The image carried throughout the day carried as locals bent over backwards to be nice to Mark and me. Wait staff in restaurants and bars are paid to be courteous, but the ones we ran across went above the normal requirements of duty.
Mark and I went on 27 March 2004, a perfectly sunny and abnormally warm day for that time of year. We toured the State House grounds, downtown, the university campus, and Finlay Park for Children's Day which included all kinds of entertainment for the young'uns and a fun fair.
- Pros:The locals bend over backwards to be nice to strangers.
- Cons:The uptown area is the epitome of unmet potential.
- In a nutshell:A little more effort and Columbia would be an even greater tourist magnet.
Like all other state capitals, a wide range of advocacy groups strategically position their offices somewhere between... more travel advice
The South Carolina state flag, together with the one from Maryland, are my favourites of the lot. It has white emblems... more travel advice
b1bob's Related Pages
Columbia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "b1bob's non-PC Columbia adventures"
- "Columbia: South Carolina's Capital City"
- "columbia, south carolina"
- "A real surprise"
- "Columbia, Capitol of South Carolina"
- "Columbia: A Real Deep South City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Columbia
- Hotels in Columbia
- Transportation in Columbia
- Nightlife in Columbia
- Restaurants in Columbia
- Shopping in Columbia
- Warnings and Dangers in Columbia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Columbia
- 37 Reviews
- 38 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 33 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (47)
Have you been to Columbia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Columbia
Photos in ColumbiaSee All Photos (38)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 250 reviews, 498 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 203 reviews, 326 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Virginia Intro, 154 reviews, 245 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 80 reviews, 123 photos
- Mechanicsville Intro, 67 reviews, 131 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Charlotte Intro, 83 reviews, 91 photos, 1 travelogue
- Washington D.C. Intro, 76 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Virgilina Intro, 52 reviews, 85 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Williamsburg Intro, 51 reviews, 64 photos
- Europe Intro, 51 reviews, 53 photos