"b1bob's non-PC Columbia adventures" Top 5 Page for this destination Columbia by b1bob

Columbia Travel Guide: 212 reviews and 272 photos

Soon after the Revolutionary War, the South Carolina legislature decided to move the capital in a more central location in the state, halfway between the coast and the up country. They wanted also to symbolise the new beginning by moving away from an aristocratic city named for British royalty to one named for the discoverer of America. In February, 1865, General Sherman's troops burnt the majority of Columbia except the State House, built on high ground above the Congaree River. The biggest industries in the city are state government, the university and the military (Fort Jackson is just east of the city). The most prominent private employers are insurance and banking.

I got a favourable impression of Columbia literally straightaway on emerging from the car. A gentleman walking down the street made a point to greet this total stranger on his first trip ever to Columbia. The image carried throughout the day carried as locals bent over backwards to be nice to Mark and me. Wait staff in restaurants and bars are paid to be courteous, but the ones we ran across went above the normal requirements of duty.

Mark and I went on 27 March 2004, a perfectly sunny and abnormally warm day for that time of year. We toured the State House grounds, downtown, the university campus, and Finlay Park for Children's Day which included all kinds of entertainment for the young'uns and a fun fair.

• Pros:The locals bend over backwards to be nice to strangers.
  • Cons:The uptown area is the epitome of unmet potential.
  • In a nutshell:A little more effort and Columbia would be an even greater tourist magnet.
  • Last visit to Columbia: Mar 2004
  • Intro Updated May 24, 2004

• Faiza-Ifrah's Profile Photo
    Oct 30, 2007 at 7:20 PM

xclent tips, pics and writing style on this city that i would like to visit one day thanks to congaree national park in which we have interest.

• lmkluque's Profile Photo
    Nov 3, 2006 at 9:00 AM

I remember how conservative South Carolina was too! Nat, I think you just like writing the word, "Gamecocks!" Looks like you and Mark had a good time and I enjoyed your comments!

• eslim_81's Profile Photo
    Jun 18, 2006 at 10:48 AM

Informative and great descriptions like always... The things impressed me is the friendly people you described....:)

• easyoar's Profile Photo
    Apr 2, 2006 at 2:42 PM

You'd need a mighty big dog to do justice to that hydrant!

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Nov 26, 2005 at 8:17 AM

I'm shocked that I missed these pages before now. Very well done. Informative, quite interesting, fun, helpful, and "eye candy"!

• tini58de's Profile Photo
    Aug 24, 2005 at 3:51 AM

hahaha - South Carolina truly IS very conservative..... Nice page, Nat!!

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo
    Jul 13, 2005 at 12:08 AM

Bob, nice commentary on the page... go Cocks!

• ZanieOR's Profile Photo
    Jan 30, 2005 at 10:00 AM

Plan to be in Columbia in April (son's boot camp graduation) so appreciate your excellent tips.

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Dec 14, 2004 at 3:39 PM

Not sure I entirely agree with the flag stand but looks like y'all had a great time and wish I could have been there for a beer and more importantly for some of Maurice's BBQ.

• dr.firas's Profile Photo
    Nov 24, 2004 at 3:36 AM

Long waited page Nat, great meeting with mark, i wish one day I sit between both my friends and enjoy water and beer LOL I like your updates here Nat dear!;-D

b1bob

Badges & Stats in Columbia

Have you been to Columbia?

Latest Activity in Columbia