"b1bob lives it up in Tahiti" Top 5 Page for this destination French Polynesia by b1bob

French Polynesia Travel Guide: 1,456 reviews and 3,248 photos

Finally, we landed at FAAA Airport in Papeete (pronounced PA-PAY-AY-TAY) at 2.59 on the morning of Saturday, 29 June 1991. 2.59 in Tahiti meant 8.59 in Richmond. Therefore, it doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure I was knackered after 24 hours of travel. There were other similar American groups that were on our coach: from New York; Washington, Pennsylvania; from Westminster, Maryland; Canyon, Texas; and us.

Some Tahitian ladies put floral leis around everyone's neck (which unfortunately aggravated my allergies). After reclaiming our luggage, we got on the coach driven by our Tahitian guide named Lionel. Due to the late, rather early, hour, we went straightaway to our hotel, the Tahiti Country Club. An accommodations dispute in my group delayed my sleep. My room mate, Mr. Rath, pitched a hissy because they didn't put him together with his daughter, Robin. The rules prohibited adult group members from sharing a room with the kids. I was for that rule which kept me from having to room with my brother. You will note that in pictures I take of him in French Polynesia (as well as Sydney, Rotorua and Honolulu), he hammed it up for the camera so much I felt like having him glazed and cloved.

• Pros:Great weather, friendly locals, and inventive transport.
  • Cons:In the middle of nowhere- most international flights happen late at night.
  • In a nutshell:It's work to get there, but you'll be glad you did.
  • Last visit to French Polynesia: Jun 1991
  • Intro Updated Sep 1, 2003

• kemisteryoso's Profile Photo
    Sep 29, 2010 at 9:17 PM

I like the light house... :)

• MikeAtSea's Profile Photo
    Jul 22, 2009 at 2:40 AM

Still one of my "hot" places on my travel wish list!! Great pages!! Sorry though about the incident at the airport. Michael

• matt10gonzalez's Profile Photo
    Mar 16, 2008 at 5:16 PM

Wow! I think I would love to go to Tahiti one day! Wow! Your Grandma Atkins went with you on this trip! That's like my grandma accompyaning us to a trip.

• Basaic's Profile Photo
    Feb 5, 2008 at 1:02 PM

I think for me the biggest danger would be not wanting to leave.

• kelnsha's Profile Photo
    Aug 5, 2007 at 9:27 PM

Great tips and wish to be there one day. Cheers!

• Vulindlela's Profile Photo
    Mar 26, 2007 at 4:43 PM

Another well written page. You have me wanting to go! Thanks for the great tips and photos.

• Aug 25, 2006 at 12:50 AM

i wonder if the places you visited back in 91 still exist today? i wonder if the info is outdated, or if it still stands today? might be interesting to go back and see the similarities/diffs.

• Heavens-Mirror's Profile Photo
    Aug 21, 2006 at 1:15 PM

Wow beautiful photos. It looks fantastic. Stacey xx

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo
    Jun 24, 2006 at 12:48 PM

Rarotonga was amazing, Nat, I'd highly recommend it! I'll have to visit Tahiti one day!

• worldkiwi's Profile Photo
    Oct 18, 2005 at 2:00 AM

Sounds like an interesting place. I sympathise with your rooster problem... I hate the damn things. Would be interesting to see that Great White. Hope to get there one day.

b1bob

Badges & Stats in French Polynesia

Have you been to French Polynesia?

Latest Activity in French Polynesia