"b1bob goes to Nags Head, NC" Top 5 Page for this destination Nags Head by b1bob
Nags Head Travel Guide: 117 reviews and 193 photos
I will remember my first trip to Nags Head, Sunday, 3 August 1975, as vividly as yesterday. We got up with the chickens that morning, leaving Virgilina, VA at 5.00 a.m. (probably the earliest I had gotten up at that point in my life). The first three times, we always stopped for breakfast at a restaurant at the Holiday Inn in Wilson, North Carolina not far away from an International Harvester truck dealership (I used to be real big on trucks, particularly of that brand, back then). The ride through the Eastern North Carolina countryside through Oxford, Rocky Mount, Williamston, and Columbia before crossing the causeway to the Outer Banks seemed interminable. From getting up that early, the joke was on us, our room at the Ramada Inn (now a Comfort Inn) was not ready. From 1976 forward, we stopped in Plymouth, North Carolina to visit a friend of Daddy's to kill that time. I remembered wondering why we couldn't just sleep in and arrive right when our hotel was ready. Our hotel was the best I had ever seen at that point. It stands 7 storeys high. We had an ocean front room, number 623. Ocean front rooms had blue and green shag carpet and those across the corridor which faced the parking lot had orange and red shag carpet. (No one would notice if you dropped a pizza there.) I'll always remember the beaches, swimming (or trying to) in the hotel pool drinking Lipton ice tea in a tin poolside (while Daddy enjoyed a Schlitz [that's a type of beer for those born after 1980]), going out to eat adult size portions of seafood Norfolk and fried scallops at Owens before I was even 6 years old. During that first trip everything was an excellent adventure, even shopping. We returned to that same hotel 2 years later, and had a kitchenette then, but, somehow the 1975 stay was most memourable because it was first. Although the last time I slept in Nags Head was 23 June 1977, I have passed through, shopped, and eaten here many times since. Sadly, some places that made my first trip to Nags Head memourable have gone out of business. For example, Newman's Seashell and Gift Shop had been in business since 1939, even pre-dating Owen's Seafood Restaurant by 7 years, closed down circa 2004. The unique shopping complex called the Galleon Esplanade went the way of the dinosaur in the 1980s. The Dareolina restaurant (a cheaper alternative to Owen's once it went upmarket, but every bit as good) either changed its name and management. In the summer of 1981, there was a mini golf course right at the foot of Jockey's Ridge, but the couple who ran it retired and the dune overtook the course. The beaches and Jockey's Ridge even survived Hurricane Isabel in 2003.
- Pros:Nags Head is a family-friendly beach community that is not as overdevelopped as many others.
- Cons:Try getting a cheap, decent hotel room in peak season.
- In a nutshell:Nags Head will always stand out as my most excellent adventures.
Shipwreck Museum, Inc. a local fixture on the causeway for more than 55 years. It offers driftwood, seashells, jewelry,... more travel advice
Tanger is a discount outlet shopping center full of great buys in all kinds of merchandise, from clothes to dishes to... more travel advice
- See All Sun block
- See All Jennette's Pier
- Cape Hatteras Lighthouse
- See All Herbert Bonner Bridge
b1bob's Related Pages
Nags Head Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "b1bob goes to Nags Head, NC"
- "Welcome to Nags Head"
- "Quintessential Outer Banks"
- "Nags Head... Who Knew?"
- "Nags Head, NC"
- "The Outer Banks"
- "I'd move here in a heartbeat!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Nags Head
- Hotels in Nags Head
- Transportation in Nags Head
- Nightlife in Nags Head
- Restaurants in Nags Head
- Shopping in Nags Head
- Warnings and Dangers in Nags Head
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Nags Head
- 29 Reviews
- 33 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 36 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (47)
Have you been to Nags Head?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nags Head
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: Seeing which friends are online"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Good buys for (largely) tacky rubbish"
- Wrote a Review kitsch at the beach in Nags Head Shopping
- updated a Nags Head Travel Page "b1bob goes to Nags Head, NC"
- Commented on one of tpangelinan's Nags Head travel pages
Photos in Nags HeadSee All Photos (33)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 250 reviews, 498 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 203 reviews, 326 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Virginia Intro, 154 reviews, 245 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 80 reviews, 123 photos
- Mechanicsville Intro, 67 reviews, 131 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Charlotte Intro, 83 reviews, 91 photos, 1 travelogue
- Washington D.C. Intro, 76 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Virgilina Intro, 52 reviews, 85 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Williamsburg Intro, 51 reviews, 64 photos
- Europe Intro, 51 reviews, 53 photos