"b1bob goes to Kitty Hawk" Kitty Hawk by b1bob

Kitty Hawk Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 57 photos

Kitty Hawk is the site of the first heavier-than-air flight. Every time y'all hop on an airplane to travel to your holiday destination of choice, just remember it started here in Kitty Hawk on 17 December 1903. Of all the towns along the Outer Banks, Kitty Hawk is where we visited least. Besides the Wright Memorial, a few shops, and some restaurants, we mainly passed through it. We stayed in Nags Head, Kill Devil Hills, and Duck, but never Kitty Hawk. We only went to the beach there once early one morning when I was very young. On traveling from the north like we did in the 1980s and 1990s, once we reached Kitty Hawk, the mileposts began and we were almost there.

• Pros:Kitty Hawk has a permanent place in history as the site of first flight.
  • Cons:The mosquitos are either so small they can fly through holes in the screen or big enough to break it down.
  • Last visit to Kitty Hawk: Aug 1995
  • Intro Updated Aug 19, 2006

• Apr 21, 2009 at 6:34 AM

Great information in your web site als always

• Cristian_Uluru's Profile Photo
    Jul 14, 2008 at 12:52 AM

Nice page!!! I hope to visit it one day!

• SteveOSF's Profile Photo
    Jun 10, 2008 at 12:20 PM

Interesting site on the location of the first flight. ~ Steve

• sue&gene's Profile Photo
    Mar 3, 2008 at 8:51 PM

My son-in-law told me that grey haired people write better tips, is that true?

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Oct 23, 2006 at 7:50 PM

We brought our children here one wild and windswept day in April a few years back - I don't know which direction the wind wsas coming from but it would have been a pretty good tail wind for a flight! I like my history in situ too. leyle

• eslim_81's Profile Photo
    Aug 21, 2006 at 7:51 PM

Nice tips....a cute and sweet Nat in the pics ...:)

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Apr 24, 2006 at 3:23 PM

Interesting tips here Bob! I've always been intrigued by the delicate islands along this part of the coast and have been hoping to visit them before a really bad hurricane completely does them in! I once saw a drive-thru Daiquiri shop in New Orleans!

• Ken_Weaver's Profile Photo
    Mar 11, 2006 at 9:02 PM

La Fogata looks good!

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo
    Mar 10, 2005 at 9:33 AM

Awww... pictures of Bob from the 70's.... nice!

• dr.firas's Profile Photo
    Aug 11, 2004 at 4:08 PM

Beautiful small page! :-) Agreed with Sim1 I like the childhood pictures Nat dear :-)

b1bob

Badges & Stats in Kitty Hawk

Have you been to Kitty Hawk?

Latest Activity in Kitty Hawk