"b1bob goes to Kill Devil Hills" Top 5 Page for this destination Kill Devil Hills by b1bob

Kill Devil Hills Travel Guide: 90 reviews and 181 photos

I had never heard of Kill Devil Hills until my second time to the Outer Banks. I thought everything between the sound and the sea was Nags Head. In the summer of 1976, we stayed in Kill Devil Hills at the Holiday Inn on the beach road round about MP 9. However, I have passed through, eaten and shopped there many times since then. From 1981-'84, we rented a cottage at M.P. 6 near Avalon Pier. The picture above was taken of my brother and me in July, 1981. I was pushing 12, my brother was 6 at that time. It was the day after a noreaster blew through (hence the rough seas- swimming was prohibited due to the undertow). What the photo doesn't show is the eroded beaches. It also can't accurately describe how cold the water had become either.

It is in the spirit of my original (1975) assumption that all warnings & dangers and packing list tips that apply to the whole of the Outer Banks be found on my Nags Head page.

• Pros:Nice beaches, a little less developped than Nags Head.
  • Cons:The occasional Noreaster can spoil a holiday.
  • Last visit to Kill Devil Hills: Aug 1995
  • Intro Updated Aug 19, 2006

• Feb 2, 2009 at 10:00 AM

Nice tips!

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo
    Aug 15, 2007 at 11:10 AM

A very interesting trip down memory lane. Would you believe I had an '81 Buick Wagon - white with wood grain on the side - bought it used in '83. It got 9 miles per gallon. Couldn't afford to have one of those now.

• KiKitC's Profile Photo
    Dec 12, 2006 at 4:43 PM

Wow, an 81 Buick station wagon...now that's living!

• eslim_81's Profile Photo
    Aug 9, 2006 at 3:30 AM

Seagate North sounds like my type of shopping place...hehe

• acemj's Profile Photo
    Jul 25, 2006 at 1:54 PM

you never know, you might have been a good surfer.

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Feb 19, 2005 at 3:14 AM

More great memories of your beachy childhood. We had cheesesteak hoagies and you had hushpuppies but catching the big one was always more my priority than catching some rays too. Maybe you need to visit your brother and hit the beach sometime!

• chancay's Profile Photo
    Aug 12, 2004 at 7:46 AM

bonitos recuerdos de tu nines, Nat.

• dr.firas's Profile Photo
    Oct 21, 2003 at 8:20 AM

Lovely photos of your childhood Nat!

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Aug 8, 2003 at 8:01 PM

Excellent new sports travel tip! Good new accommodations tip!

• bugalugs's Profile Photo
    Jul 28, 2003 at 1:27 PM

Thanks for the info Bob

b1bob

Badges & Stats in Kill Devil Hills

Have you been to Kill Devil Hills?