"b1bob "quacks up" in Duck" Top 5 Page for this destination Duck by b1bob
Duck Travel Guide: 53 reviews and 102 photos
Duck, North Carolina is one of the quieter, less-developped towns on the Outer Banks. It used to be a northern adjunct of Kitty Hawk until it was officially incorporated in 2002. I first heard of Duck saw a sign pointing the way (we all laughed) as we were leaving the beach one of the first three times in the Outer Banks during the mid 1970s. My first trip to Duck was in July, 1983 when my daddy's friend Mr. Peterson camped at one of the campgrounds with his daughters Lisa and Mandy. Instead of having barbecue at Pigman's, we let Mr. Peterson cook for us there our first night there that visit. At nearly 14 years old, I thought it was way too far north. There was less development and I didn't appreciate the isolation as much as I did in the 1990s and forward.
Duck seems to be wrestling with its own identity. On one hand it is a sleepy area for families craving a quiet beach holiday. There are a few condominimum complexes and cottages to let from sea to sound; there are no hotels and only one bed and breakfast inn. Just a handful of locals make Duck their home the year round. The livelier side of town cuts a swath through the heart of the village is a shopper's paradise for about a mile. Duck uses the limited space to the full by packing as much as possible into one walkable area. Those who stay down the road oftentimes make a special day trip to Duck to stroll, shop and eat. Duck has gone somewhat upmarket over the years. One only has to look at the rise in prices at Tommy's Market. My family has owned a time share there since 1989. I've been there in 1991, 1992 and 1995.
- Pros:Duck is the least developped part of the northern Outer Banks.
- Cons:The upmarket nature of the place makes many of the shops overly expensive.
- In a nutshell:Enjoy the comparative isolation, but do your shopping a little ways down the road.
ALSO PROHIBITED IN COROLLA, SOUTHERN SHORES, KITTY HAWK, and KILL DEVIL HILLS Sitting around a bonfire on the beach can... more travel advice
Many folks who come here in high summer only go to the beach. While it is less common to swim in the Currituck Sound... more travel advice
b1bob's Related Pages
Duck Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Welcome to Duck, Outer Banks NC"
- "Barrier Island Ocean Pines"
- "b1bob "quacks up" in Duck"
- "A Cool Beach"
- "Offseason in Duck -First part- 27-29 November 2004"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Duck
- Hotels in Duck
- Transportation in Duck
- Nightlife in Duck
- Restaurants in Duck
- Shopping in Duck
- Warnings and Dangers in Duck
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Duck
- 13 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 52 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (29)
Have you been to Duck?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Duck
Photos in DuckSee All Photos (19)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 243 reviews, 479 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 203 reviews, 326 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Virginia Intro, 153 reviews, 241 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 80 reviews, 123 photos
- Mechanicsville Intro, 65 reviews, 121 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Charlotte Intro, 83 reviews, 91 photos, 1 travelogue
- Washington D.C. Intro, 70 reviews, 77 photos, 2 travelogues
- Virgilina Intro, 52 reviews, 85 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Williamsburg Intro, 51 reviews, 64 photos
- Europe Intro, 51 reviews, 53 photos