"b1bob "quacks up" in Duck" Top 5 Page for this destination Duck by b1bob

Duck Travel Guide: 53 reviews and 102 photos

Duck, North Carolina is one of the quieter, less-developped towns on the Outer Banks. It used to be a northern adjunct of Kitty Hawk until it was officially incorporated in 2002. I first heard of Duck saw a sign pointing the way (we all laughed) as we were leaving the beach one of the first three times in the Outer Banks during the mid 1970s. My first trip to Duck was in July, 1983 when my daddy's friend Mr. Peterson camped at one of the campgrounds with his daughters Lisa and Mandy. Instead of having barbecue at Pigman's, we let Mr. Peterson cook for us there our first night there that visit. At nearly 14 years old, I thought it was way too far north. There was less development and I didn't appreciate the isolation as much as I did in the 1990s and forward.

Duck seems to be wrestling with its own identity. On one hand it is a sleepy area for families craving a quiet beach holiday. There are a few condominimum complexes and cottages to let from sea to sound; there are no hotels and only one bed and breakfast inn. Just a handful of locals make Duck their home the year round. The livelier side of town cuts a swath through the heart of the village is a shopper's paradise for about a mile. Duck uses the limited space to the full by packing as much as possible into one walkable area. Those who stay down the road oftentimes make a special day trip to Duck to stroll, shop and eat. Duck has gone somewhat upmarket over the years. One only has to look at the rise in prices at Tommy's Market. My family has owned a time share there since 1989. I've been there in 1991, 1992 and 1995.

• Pros:Duck is the least developped part of the northern Outer Banks.
  • Cons:The upmarket nature of the place makes many of the shops overly expensive.
  • In a nutshell:Enjoy the comparative isolation, but do your shopping a little ways down the road.
  • Last visit to Duck: Aug 1995
  • Intro Updated Aug 19, 2006

• eslim_81's Profile Photo
    Aug 22, 2006 at 5:46 AM

I love Barrier Island station.....:) It looks special for me

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Dec 3, 2005 at 6:29 AM

Interesting area. I'm enjoying learning about this coastline.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Jul 18, 2005 at 7:15 PM

Nat, I had completely missed this before. What a laid back place. I love time shares because they are so convenient, clean, and in good shape. Lovely area.

• lmkluque's Profile Photo
    Jun 27, 2005 at 8:07 AM

I went to Myrtle Beach but missed Duck! Haven't thought of Food Lion for years! Thanks Nat!!

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo
    Jun 25, 2005 at 11:37 PM

Thanks for your Duck Page... looking forward to Duck, Duck, then Goose.

• starship's Profile Photo
    Mar 12, 2005 at 8:14 PM

Your page brings back great memories from Duck & Whalehead--watching for dolphins, wild horses, flashlighting crabs, steamers' tin from Corolla. Yea man!

• Dec 4, 2004 at 12:20 PM

Visited Duck, July 1999, with my Best Friend. Sadly she died a year ago at Duck, her ashes scattered with the dolphins. First stop in Duck, the Duck Deli. Will return one day, walk down Bayberry directly to the beach and say hello to my Friend.

• gilabrand's Profile Photo
    Oct 13, 2004 at 8:13 AM

Duck. Ha! That's funny. Now I can laugh at someone else's page (people are always laughing at my Flushing page).

• Maillekeul's Profile Photo
    Sep 18, 2004 at 7:53 AM

Now I know the word Jellyfish... In France, you probably know it already, they're called (more or less) Medusia...

• guell's Profile Photo
    Aug 15, 2004 at 9:20 PM

Are you allowed to climb the light tower?

b1bob