"Welcome to Concord, North Carolina" Concord by b1bob
Concord Travel Guide: 37 reviews and 36 photos
Concord, North Carolina is a suburb of Charlotte located just 20 miles (33 km.) north of uptown. At one time, Concord and the whole of Cabarrus County, was a distant hinterland from Charlotte. Now, it is a close-in suburb with more than 100,000 people countywide. Concord is the county seat, but there is also Kannapolis, Harrisburg (home of Harrisburg Elementary School, where I met many of its students on a train ride from Raleigh through to Kannapolis in 2003) among other sites. Concord's two most famous sites are the Lowes Motor Speedway and the Concord Mills Mall. Lowes Motor Speedway attracts race fans from all over the country, many of whom follow the NASCAR circuit the way some other folks follow rock groups. I like Concord Mills Mall better than the average shopping centre because the store directory is more diverse than any other I have seen before, they have the second most ample food court I've seen (only behind that at Pentagon City) and I found some bargains too. However, there is more to Concord than the racetrack and the mall. Concord has a complete and well-defined downtown, which is an oasis from all the strip malls, complete with interesting architecture. Not far off is the town of Kannapolis, where the Dale Earnhardt memorial is located. Concord is a great place if youre a race fan or a shopaholic. On 28 March 2004, Mark acemj and I toured a huge chunk of Cabarrus County seeing the two obligatory attractions, but delving a bit deeper to see what makes this community tick.
- Pros:Nice downtown area.
- Cons:It is dominated by the mall.
- In a nutshell:It's close enough to Charlotte for the amenities when you need them, but it is a nice and safe middle-class setting.
Concord is a bedroom community of Charlotte. You can see on the map (enlarge) that it is conveniently located on... more travel advice
This courthouse was built in 1876 at a time when Cabarrus County was a rural hinterland a long wagon ride from... more travel advice
b1bob's Related Pages
Concord Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Welcome to Concord, North Carolina"
- "Concord, NC: hyped for all the wrong reasons"
- "Nice little Town!!"
- "Concord, NC"
- "Concord NC"
- "Concord North Carolina"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Concord
- Transportation in Concord
- Nightlife in Concord
- Restaurants in Concord
- Shopping in Concord
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Concord
- 11 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 23 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (29)
Have you been to Concord?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Concord
Photos in ConcordSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 244 reviews, 480 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 203 reviews, 326 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Virginia Intro, 153 reviews, 241 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 80 reviews, 123 photos
- Mechanicsville Intro, 65 reviews, 121 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Charlotte Intro, 83 reviews, 91 photos, 1 travelogue
- Washington D.C. Intro, 70 reviews, 77 photos, 2 travelogues
- Virgilina Intro, 52 reviews, 85 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Williamsburg Intro, 51 reviews, 64 photos
- Europe Intro, 51 reviews, 53 photos