Charlotte Local Custom Tips by b1bob Top 5 Page for this destination
Charlotte Local Customs: 17 reviews and 12 photos
Queen City street signs
Because Charlotte is named the Queen City (named for King George III's wife Queen Charlotte), its emblem is the crown which appears on, among other things, all street signs within the city.
typical modern (upmarket) flat in Ballantyne
When Mark moved here in 1993, the area that is now Ballantyne was pastureland. However, as the affluence spread southward, gated communities and snooty shopping centres spread like kudzu into the countryside. This is definitely not a place either acemj or b1bob should want to live even if we had the means.
Loyal and dedicated Panthers fans
Being a town lacking deep roots and full of come-heres, one would not expect much cohesiveness around a hometown sporting team. As I allude to in the sports tip, the Carolina Panthers American football team was bloody awful at the 2001 season. They had a middling transitional 2002 season with a new coach and some new players. In the 2003 season, they not only made postseason play, the earned the right to go to the Super Bowl. In January, 2004, some fans went to the extreme to show their support at a Panthers rallye at the famous Charlotte intersection of Trade and Tryon. For full disclosure, the Carolina Panthers are my team. In fact, I went to the Meadowlands in East Rutherford, New Jersey to watch the last regular season Panthers game against the New York Giants, having the audacity to wear my Panthers sweatshirt and to cheer at the top of my lungs (in the midst of a bunch of Giants fans) to cheer on my team.
The Queen's City: the city's nickname.
Shawlet: How natives pronounce that fine city.
The Square: the official centre of the city at Trade and Tryon.
cookout: backyard barbecue.
skew: How natives pronounce "school".
U.N.C.C.: University of North Carolina at Charlotte. In terms of sports, referred to simply as Charlotte.
Sun Drop: a citrus flavoured local soft drink.
Cheerwine: a cherry flavoured local soft drink.
hose pop: most call it a garden hose.
Char-Meck: The combined jurisdiction of Charlotte and Mecklenburg County, North Carolina.
Charlotte Disturber: What many locals call the primary newspaper The Charlotte Observer.
churches and synagogues
When an outsider thinks of Charlotte, they think of NASCAR, American football, basketball, barbecue, and being part of the Bible belt. (Jim and Tammy Faye Bakker ran their PTL club from a Charlotte suburb in South Carolina.) Protestant churches still dominate, but with the growth of the banking industry, the community has become more diverse (as witnessed in the restaurant tips). With that comes religious diversity as well. From top to bottom, I took a picture of a Catholic church, the Greek Orthodox church across the street is in the middle, and a synagogue not far from Mark's house. Click to enlarge the photo to get everything in.
Sorry, Atlanta, Charlotte edged y'all out as the banking capital of the South. As I alluded to in the intro, only New York is a larger banking centre than Charlotte in the USA. Wachovia and Bank of America are headquartered here and many more have a presence.
More Reviews (77)
- See All Concord
- See All Charlotte Knights
- Pillars of the community
- See All Open that wallet...wide
- See All American Freedom Bell & Hezekiah...
- See All Sculpture at U.N.C.C.
- See All Charlotte Douglas International Airport
- See All For the friendliest service in...
- See All If I only had my rifle...
- Go in March, dress in layers
- Cuisine d'Amtrak
- See All Funky Night Life
b1bob's Related Pages
Charlotte Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Queen City of Charlotte, NC"
- "b1bob does Charlotte in a big way"
- "Charlotte, NC"
- "Queen City of the South"
- "Southern city.....southern charm"
- "Always a great place to visit"
- "Charlotte, NC"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Charlotte
- Hotels in Charlotte
- Transportation in Charlotte
- Nightlife in Charlotte
- Restaurants in Charlotte
- Shopping in Charlotte
- Warnings and Dangers in Charlotte
- See All...
Explore the World
- Brussels Hotels
- Magnolia Bluff Hotels
- La Plata
- Bradenton Beach Hotels
- Zhoushan Hotels
Badges & Stats in Charlotte
- 83 Reviews
- 90 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 62 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (29)
Have you been to Charlotte?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Charlotte
Photos in CharlotteSee All Photos (90)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 243 reviews, 479 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 203 reviews, 326 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Virginia Intro, 152 reviews, 240 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 80 reviews, 123 photos
- Mechanicsville Intro, 65 reviews, 121 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Charlotte Intro, 83 reviews, 91 photos, 1 travelogue
- Washington D.C. Intro, 70 reviews, 77 photos, 2 travelogues
- Virgilina Intro, 52 reviews, 85 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Williamsburg Intro, 51 reviews, 64 photos
- Europe Intro, 51 reviews, 53 photos
Latest Charlotte hotel reviews
- Sleep Inn University Place Charlotte
- 66 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 20, 2013
- Comfort Inn UNCC Charlotte
- 69 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 15, 2013
- Ramada Inn Charlotte
- 29 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 21, 2013
- Golden Green Hotel Charlotte
- 14 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 27, 2013
- Studio 6 Charlotte Airport
- 19 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 18, 2013
- Hyatt Summerfield Suites Charlotte Airport
- 99 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 2, 2013
- The Ritz-Carlton, Charlotte
- 200 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 19, 2013
- Microtel Inn Charlotte Airport
- 109 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 12, 2013
- Econo Lodge & Suites Charlotte Airport
- 60 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 9, 2013
- Ascot Inn
- 12 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 15, 2012
- Drury Inn And Suites Charlotte North
- 141 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 21, 2013
- The Morehead Inn
- 42 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 8, 2013
- The Blake Hotel
- 437 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 14, 2013
- Best Western Airport Inn Charlotte
- 51 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 22, 2013
- Renaissance Charlotte Southpark Hotel
- 211 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 11, 2013
- Uptown Architecture and Sights- 20 Reviews, 19 Photos
- Carowinds & Amusement Parks- 9 Reviews, 5 Photos
- Museums- 16 Reviews, 18 Photos
- Public Art- 12 Reviews, 10 Photos
- Parks- 6 Reviews, 7 Photos
- Historic Fourth Ward- 4 Reviews, 3 Photos
- The Mountains- 2 Reviews, 2 Photos
- Sports- 11 Reviews, 16 Photos
- Performing Arts/Theaters- 9 Reviews, 7 Photos
- Lake Norman- 3 Reviews, 4 Photos
See All Charlotte Things to Do