"b1bob briefly does Savannah" Savannah by b1bob

Savannah Travel Guide: 883 reviews and 1,744 photos

This page on Savannah will not be as complete as those by, say acemj or richiecdisc, but I believe the city and its famous riverfront deserve to be put among my other VT pages. There are two reasons why this page is not as complete as some others.

1. It was in late July and early August, 1978 on the way to and from Disney World. My parents did not think to take enough photos to capture the unique beauty of city. As for myself, I was 2 months shy of being 9 years old at that time and I had no idea that I would join something like V.T. 23 years later.

2. We weren't there long. It was just an overnight stop from Virgilina, VA to Savannah- all day, mostly on I-95. I was lucky to get the pictures I have now. As I come across old photos, maybe I will find more forgotten photos of Savannah.

Despite all that, Savannah offers some interesting memories. We checked in to our Howard Johnsons motel room when we got there about 3.30 that afternoon, 29 July 1978. After we settled in well, we went to the motel pool for awhile to cool off. When it came time to eat supper, we went into town and found a Red Lobster seafood restaurant. I was content with popcorn shrimp (little pieces of fried shrimp- and I still enjoy that to this day). They must have had an all you can eat special yes, folks, I was a glutton even back then. After we went to the riverfront to see all sorts of foreign ships coming in, and going to Oglethorpe Mall, we went back to the hotel room. I was sitting in the middle of the bed- Indian style watching TV and eating the rest of those popcorn shrimp the waitress packed in a doggie bag. The following morning, my parents and I returned to the waterfront to take a couple of pictures before we hit the road the rest of the way to Disney World. I recently found and added those morning photos to the travelogue.

This one may never be among the top 5 Savannah pages, but like always, I did what I could.

• Pros:Savannah is one of the more beautiful cities in the U.S.
  • Cons:It can get hot and humid in the summer. Folks not used to it, beware!
  • In a nutshell:Where the South meets the rest of the world.
  • Last visit to Savannah: Aug 1978
  • Intro Updated Mar 31, 2004

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Dec 4, 2007 at 7:14 AM

Great page of Savannah. Cheers, SL :)

• Escadora7's Profile Photo
    Sep 19, 2006 at 8:59 AM

Hahahaha - love your nostalgic tips!!!! Wonder if the people from Sambo's know that the bad service from nearly 30 years ago is now eternalized on VT! :-D Best wishes, Ash & Eve

• Raimix's Profile Photo
    Jun 14, 2006 at 8:01 AM

Looks nice place! Especially it seems from intro photo! I think this town more or less influenced by other cultures.

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo
    Mar 9, 2005 at 9:20 AM

Thanks for these tips... I hope you get a chance to go back soon!

• seamandrew's Profile Photo
    Oct 19, 2004 at 5:53 AM

I went to Savannah when I was about the same age and I remember a fort and learning how bricks were made. Ahh, Howard Johnsons, I used to love that place for it's New England Clam Chowder!

• C.GOROSTIAGA's Profile Photo
    Apr 19, 2004 at 3:19 PM

Hi Nat!. Great info. and pictures!When I was in Atlanta I wanted to visit this city. Unfortunatly I couldn't.

• zrim's Profile Photo
    Mar 31, 2004 at 7:35 PM

I guess I hadn't eer left a comment here, my mistake.

• Voyageuse30's Profile Photo
    Mar 16, 2004 at 6:50 AM

I love your Savannah page! Savannah is a cool city...

• andal13's Profile Photo
    Aug 2, 2003 at 8:55 PM

Savannah sounds very interesting (especially if mosquitoes do not notice our presence!!!!) Popcorn shrimp must be delicious!

• Amitu's Profile Photo
    Jun 5, 2003 at 8:35 AM

well done, NAt

b1bob

Badges & Stats in Savannah

Have you been to Savannah?

Latest Activity in Savannah