"b1bob briefly does Savannah" Savannah by b1bob
Savannah Travel Guide: 884 reviews and 1,747 photos
This page on Savannah will not be as complete as those by, say acemj or richiecdisc, but I believe the city and its famous riverfront deserve to be put among my other VT pages. There are two reasons why this page is not as complete as some others.
1. It was in late July and early August, 1978 on the way to and from Disney World. My parents did not think to take enough photos to capture the unique beauty of city. As for myself, I was 2 months shy of being 9 years old at that time and I had no idea that I would join something like V.T. 23 years later.
2. We weren't there long. It was just an overnight stop from Virgilina, VA to Savannah- all day, mostly on I-95. I was lucky to get the pictures I have now. As I come across old photos, maybe I will find more forgotten photos of Savannah.
Despite all that, Savannah offers some interesting memories. We checked in to our Howard Johnsons motel room when we got there about 3.30 that afternoon, 29 July 1978. After we settled in well, we went to the motel pool for awhile to cool off. When it came time to eat supper, we went into town and found a Red Lobster seafood restaurant. I was content with popcorn shrimp (little pieces of fried shrimp- and I still enjoy that to this day). They must have had an all you can eat special yes, folks, I was a glutton even back then. After we went to the riverfront to see all sorts of foreign ships coming in, and going to Oglethorpe Mall, we went back to the hotel room. I was sitting in the middle of the bed- Indian style watching TV and eating the rest of those popcorn shrimp the waitress packed in a doggie bag. The following morning, my parents and I returned to the waterfront to take a couple of pictures before we hit the road the rest of the way to Disney World. I recently found and added those morning photos to the travelogue.
This one may never be among the top 5 Savannah pages, but like always, I did what I could.
- Pros:Savannah is one of the more beautiful cities in the U.S.
- Cons:It can get hot and humid in the summer. Folks not used to it, beware!
- In a nutshell:Where the South meets the rest of the world.
The Savannah Sand Gnats are a minor league baseball team which serves as a farm team for the Texas Rangers. If you want... more travel advice
It can be hot and humid in the summer. Savannah winters are milder than in many places in the U.S. , so pack... more travel advice
b1bob's Related Pages
Savannah Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sultry, Mysterious Savannah"
- "An Exotic, Steamy Woman Heats Up Georgia!"
- "savannah, georgia"
- "SAVANNAH SCENE"
- "Don't Miss Savannah"
- "The one hundred garden city"
- "Charming Savannah"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Savannah
- Hotels in Savannah
- Transportation in Savannah
- Nightlife in Savannah
- Restaurants in Savannah
- Shopping in Savannah
- Warnings and Dangers in Savannah
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Savannah
- 7 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 34 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (46)
Have you been to Savannah?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Savannah
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 244 reviews, 480 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 203 reviews, 326 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Virginia Intro, 154 reviews, 244 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 80 reviews, 123 photos
- Mechanicsville Intro, 65 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Charlotte Intro, 83 reviews, 91 photos, 1 travelogue
- Washington D.C. Intro, 70 reviews, 77 photos, 2 travelogues
- Virgilina Intro, 52 reviews, 85 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Williamsburg Intro, 51 reviews, 64 photos
- Europe Intro, 51 reviews, 53 photos