San Francisco Things to Do Tips by b1bob
San Francisco Things to Do: 3,259 reviews and 5,827 photos
When I first got here, I thought they had ripped the name of this place off from a good seafood restaurant in the Outer Banks of North Carolina. Actually, it may well be the other way around. Although locals might call it a tourist trap, I think everybody ought to come here at least once. The lagoon and deep sea fishing fleet is surrounded by all manner of seafood restaurants and gift shops. Maybe the natural beauty of the area makes Fisherman's Wharf seem a little less tacky to me.
Address: Shoreline near Jefferson between Powell and Hyde
Phone: (415) 626-7070
Coit Tower: 16 August 1985
On arriving to San Francisco, one of the first things I saw was this tower sticking up on top of a hill that looked like a fire hose nozzle. There is a good reason for that. Lillie Hitchcock Coit, for whom the tower is named, was a charitable donor who admired the firemen at the 1906 earthquake fire, left funds for beautification of San Francisco. Part of those funds were used for the construction of the 210 ft. (64 m.) tall art deco Coit Tower at the top of Telegraph Hill. If you look at the photo carefully, you will see the steeple of the Sts. Peter and Paul Church and portions of the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge. I wish I had a digital camera back then so I could capture this night scene better.
Address: 1 Telegraph Hill Blvd
Phone: (415) 362- 0808
Transamerica building in the morning fog
The Transamerica Building is a fixture in the San Francisco skline. At 853 feet (260 m.), it is San Francsco's tallest building. When this picture was taken in the morning fog, you can't even see the top point of the building. When it was being constructed in the early 1970s, many folks decried it as a monstrosity. However, once it was built, two things won over many sceptics. First, the pyramid shape of the building allowed more sunlight to reach the streets. Second, because of the larger base, pyramid shaped buildings like this are more structurally sound in the event of an earthquake.
Golden Gate Bridge
Crossing the Golden Gate bridge was something I had always reamed about doing. On our way to Stockton, Uncle Dick put the choice of crossing the Golden Gate Bridge and taking the roundabout way or the crooked road and a more direct route in (across the Oakland Bay Bridge). It was a tough choice, but I opted for the Golden Gate with a photo-op of Lombard. Taking the Golden Gate meant an indirect return trip to Stockton- crossing into Marin County and seeing the trendy architecture of Mill Valley and San Quentin prison. I remember thinking how sad it must be stuck in San Quentin and seeing all these tourists in the distance going places and they have nowhere to go. We passed through some of the poorer sections of Oakland over some barren landcscape on into Stockton.
Victorian Houses & S.F. skyline @ night
These Victorian Houses are a symbol of San Franciscan architecture. On giving us this tour, I remember Uncle Dick saying that if you want a house here, "Open your wallet...wide."
Lombard Street is the most crooked street in the world, hence the 5 mph (8 km./h.) speed limit. I had the choice of taking this crooked street or crossing the Golden Gate. I opted for the Golden Gate with a photo of Lombard.
China Town is the epicentre of Chinese culture in San Francisco. An interesting thing is that after the big earthquake in 1906, the city officials (who were at that time somewhat prejudiced against the Chinese) had planned to relocate them to less desirable part of town or, even to other parts of the Bay Area. However, the Chinese businessmen rebuilt on that location faster than the city officials could act on their relocation plans.
San Francisco City Hall
Admire the ornate architecture of the San Francisco city hall. An outsider not knowing better may think this was a state capitol.
More Reviews (5)
- San Francisco International Airport...
- The Giants and 49ers
- b1bob's San Francisco shopping tip
b1bob's Related Pages
San Francisco Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bagdad by the Bay"
- "San Francisco - My Favorie City - By Default"
- "San Francisco - "It's a free-for-all up there!""
- "SFO ... a declassé love letter to the CITY"
- "San Francisco: Why this heart never leaves"
- "I Left My Heart..."
- "San Francisco is Really Shaking Things Up!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in San Francisco
- Hotels in San Francisco
- Transportation in San Francisco
- Nightlife in San Francisco
- Restaurants in San Francisco
- Shopping in San Francisco
- Warnings and Dangers in San Francisco
- See All...
Explore the World
- Dunsoghly Castle Hotels
- Chollerford Hotels
- Megève Hotels
- Palamós Hotels
- Gorod Astana
- North Augusta
Badges & Stats in San Francisco
- 13 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 38 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (29)
Have you been to San Francisco?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in San Francisco
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: The same announcement..."
- Commented on one of ATXtraveler's San Francisco travel pages
- Wrote a Review Fisherman's Wharf about Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Fisherman's Wharf"
- updated a San Francisco Travel Page "b1bob goes to San Francisco"
Photos in San FranciscoSee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 243 reviews, 479 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 203 reviews, 326 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Virginia Intro, 153 reviews, 241 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 80 reviews, 123 photos
- Mechanicsville Intro, 65 reviews, 121 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Charlotte Intro, 83 reviews, 91 photos, 1 travelogue
- Washington D.C. Intro, 70 reviews, 77 photos, 2 travelogues
- Virgilina Intro, 52 reviews, 85 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Williamsburg Intro, 51 reviews, 64 photos
- Europe Intro, 51 reviews, 53 photos
Latest San Francisco hotel reviews
- Prescott Hotel - A Kimpton Hotel
- 684 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- Grosvenor Suites
- 6 Reviews & Opinions
- Renoir Hotel
- 277 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 5, 2013
- Red Victorian Inn
- 109 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 31, 2013
- European Guest House
- 25 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 12, 2013
- Rodeway Inn Civic Center San Francisco
- 75 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 21, 2013
- Castle Inn
- 560 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 8, 2013
- Inn at the Opera
- 504 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 3, 2013
- Orchard Garden Hotel
- 853 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 30, 2013
- Hyatt At Fishermans Wharf
- 879 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 28, 2013
- Hotel Metropolis
- 332 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 22, 2013
- Grant Plaza Hotel
- 371 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 30, 2013
- Olympic Hotel
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Americas Best Value Inn
- 130 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 10, 2013
- Europa Hotel
- 35 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 13, 2013
- Lombard Street- 131 Reviews, 211 Photos
- Chinatown- 177 Reviews, 308 Photos
- Golden Gate Bridge- 248 Reviews, 395 Photos
- Alcatraz- 290 Reviews, 484 Photos
- Fisherman's Wharf- 177 Reviews, 315 Photos
- Pier 39- 118 Reviews, 211 Photos
- Coit Tower- 133 Reviews, 251 Photos
- Alamo Square- 66 Reviews, 101 Photos
- Golden Gate Park- 118 Reviews, 244 Photos
- Twin Peaks- 34 Reviews, 47 Photos
See All San Francisco Things to Do