"b1bob goes country even in Ecuador" Provincia de Imbabura by b1bob
Provincia de Imbabura Travel Guide: 175 reviews and 545 photos
The Province of Imbabura is only 80 km. (50 miles) north of Quito on the Pan American highway. However, it was a world away from the daily rush of urban life. Early one Saturday morning, Sergio, Christina, Thea, and I left Cumbayá for a day trip to the countryside. I am going to include a few things from the rural parts of Pichincha in this page because Quito is my town page and this is my country page. When I think of Imbabura, five things come to mind:
- Native Americans
As suburbia gives way to the countryside, the first thing you notice are the hot houses in which Ecuador’s rose industry thrives. Northern Pichincha and Ibambura are also dairy country. There is a special cheese here called queso de hoja. As you go down along the Pan American highway, you begin to see the lakes. On the way to the market in Otavalo, you pass by Lago San Paulo. Clothes in the city are very expensive, but the textile mills here make the savings well worth the price of petrol driving from the city. If you are interested in woodwork, the village of San Antonio de Ibarra is home to expert wood carvers. All along the road are fritaderías and cuyerías, restaurants that only specialise in pork and guinea pig. You can get both delicacies in the city, but you pay half in the countryside of Imbabura. Sadly, this was only a day trip, but going here had more impact than anything else in the entire 10 days I was in Ecuador.
- Pros:Cheaper prices, a slower paced way of life, a more picturesque landscape.
- Cons:Bad roads in spots.
- In a nutshell:When you visit Quito, you have to come here.
There is even a quarrel between the "gringos" (any white person, not just American or European tourists who insist on... more travel advice
I wasn't aware of Ecuador's rose industry until a lady on one of my flights down mentioned it to me. At that time, I had... more travel advice
b1bob's Related Pages
Provincia de Imbabura Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "b1bob goes country even in Ecuador"
- "Get away from it all"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Provincia de Imbabura
- Hotels in Provincia de Imbabura
- Transportation in Provincia de Imbabura
- Restaurants in Provincia de Imbabura
- Shopping in Provincia de Imbabura
- Warnings and Dangers in Provincia de Imbabura
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Provincia de Imbabura
- 15 Reviews
- 31 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (46)
Have you been to Provincia de Imbabura?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Provincia de Imbabura
Photos in Provincia de ImbaburaSee All Photos (31)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 244 reviews, 480 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 203 reviews, 326 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Virginia Intro, 154 reviews, 244 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 80 reviews, 123 photos
- Mechanicsville Intro, 65 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Charlotte Intro, 83 reviews, 91 photos, 1 travelogue
- Washington D.C. Intro, 70 reviews, 77 photos, 2 travelogues
- Virgilina Intro, 52 reviews, 85 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Williamsburg Intro, 51 reviews, 64 photos
- Europe Intro, 51 reviews, 53 photos