"b1bob's New Jersey adventures: a work in progress" Top 5 Page for this destination New Jersey by b1bob
New Jersey Travel Guide: 3,975 reviews and 7,897 photos
I will be the first to admit that this page on New Jersey adventures is incomplete. I have covered the New York and Philadelphia suburbs reasonably well, but I still need to cover the Jersey Shore and the rural northwest. If you find my page wanting, stick around. I'm not done here. I aim to be back and give fair coverage to as much as I can.
You have often heard of a bedroom community, a town within fairly close proximity of a large city where folks commute into the city to work and return home to the suburbs. It would not be entirely unfair to argue that New Jersey is a bedroom state. It has been dominated by the large cities of Philadelphia and New York, just outside the state's borders since colonial times. It gets its television news from the New York and Philadelphia media markets (I would hate to have to run a statewide campaign there) and the only major newspaper within its borders is The Newark Ledger. To be fair, there is more to New Jersey than exits on the New Jersey Turnpike, '40s diners, '70s malls, and bedroom communities. New Jersey is a very diverse state in a lot of ways. On geography it has both beaches and mountains; demographically from old Quaker stock to new Hispanics; economically from inner city slums to hunt country mansions. Although folks from New York tend to look down on New Jersey, the state more closely resembles the rest of the United States than does Manhattan.
Many folks couldn't rightly put b1bob and New Jersey in the same sentence, but two on three times I've been there, I went to visit friends. This page will always be a work in progress, so y'all come back:
30 December 1999- 2 January 2000: If you bet me ten years earlier that I would be in New Jersey at the turn of the century, I would have cheerfully taken the bet as soon as I stopped laughing uproariously (that might not have been until round about 1994). However, that is exactly where I was. Since J.D. and I have been friends since 1988, if you told me I would be spending the turn of the new millennium with him, I wouldn't have been surprised. Back then, I would have guessed it would have either been in San Juan, Puerto Rico or somewhere in the suburbs of Washington, D.C., but I never would have guessed it would be in a place like New Jersey. It was a quiet few days- just the way I wanted it. I was relieved J.D. and Deb didn't want to venture into New York City to take in the millennium. At the time 1999 became 2000, J.D., Deb and I were in the midst of a hard game of Scrabble.
14-16 December 2003: I was in Mount Laurel, New Jersey on business. My colleagues and I helped to liquidate a closed grocery store in town. My boss and I had come up for the day in mid-November to inventory the contents of the store, a 5-hour trip each way from the Richmond area. For the liquidation, we spent two nights at a hotel near where we were liquidating the store.
27-31 December 2003: Less than two weeks after returning from Mount Laurel on business, I was off to New Jersey again, but this time for fun. J.D. acquired some tickets to the New York Giants game against the Carolina Panthers, who went on later to win the NFC Championship and a slot in the Super Bowl. I was asked on Saturday, 27 December 2003 if I wanted to go, I said yes, and 4 hours later, I was on my way up to New Jersey. Besides the game, I saw J.D., Deb, and Savannah again, and baby Christina for the first time. We took rodizio at a Portuguese restaurant in the Ironbound section of Newark together with friends of J.D. and Deb. Even without the game, if J.D. had invited me just to hang about, I would have headed for the train just as fast.
- Pros:New Jersey has a better mass transit system than most places in the USA.
- Cons:Few open and rural areas.
- In a nutshell:New Jersey is mostly a state of suburbs to larger cities outside its borders.
This is one of those Northeastern tips as Modell's has stores from New York on down to Northern Virginia (which is... more travel advice
Since there isn't, as yet, a Northeastern USA VT destination, I will make my New Jersey page the repository for all... more travel advice
- See All Newark's Penn Station
- See All The old place
- See All Newark
- See All Don't Drink Too Much
b1bob's Related Pages
New Jersey Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Home Sweet Home"
- "The Best of New Jersey!"
- "b1bob's New Jersey adventures: a work in progress"
- "NEW JERSEY POTPOURRI"
- "NEW JERSEY"
- "“We’ve all come to look for America”"
- "New Jersey ---- still exploring....."
- See All...
- Things to Do in New Jersey
- Hotels in New Jersey
- Transportation in New Jersey
- Nightlife in New Jersey
- Restaurants in New Jersey
- Shopping in New Jersey
- Warnings and Dangers in New Jersey
- See All...
Badges & Stats in New Jersey
- 41 Reviews
- 43 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (46)
Have you been to New Jersey?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in New Jersey
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: Seeing which friends are online"
- Commented on one of Pawtuxet's New Jersey travel pages
- updated a New Jersey Travel Page "b1bob's New Jersey adventures: a work in progress"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Gotta go to Mo's"
- Wrote a Review Gotta go to Mo's in New Jersey Shopping
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 244 reviews, 480 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 203 reviews, 326 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Virginia Intro, 154 reviews, 244 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 80 reviews, 123 photos
- Mechanicsville Intro, 65 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Charlotte Intro, 83 reviews, 91 photos, 1 travelogue
- Washington D.C. Intro, 70 reviews, 77 photos, 2 travelogues
- Virgilina Intro, 52 reviews, 85 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Williamsburg Intro, 51 reviews, 64 photos
- Europe Intro, 51 reviews, 53 photos