"Carolina in my mind" Top 5 Page for this destination North Carolina by b1bob
North Carolina Travel Guide: 4,845 reviews and 10,534 photos
Because the North Carolina border abuts my Grandma's property in Virgilina, VA, I am very familiar with the state of North Carolina. No, I didn't just cross into North Carolina to walk in the woods with Grandma to pick blackberries in the summer or look for running cedar in the autumn, I have visited the coastal areas, small towns, and some major cities.
North Carolina is a very diverse state both geographically and in terms of its people. Western North Carolina has the highest mountain in the USA east of the Mississippi River, Mount Mitchell 6684 feet (2038 m.). The largest city is Asheville. Its major tourist attraction is the Biltmore Estate, but it has a vibrant downtown and postcard-like scenery. The Piedmont of the state was, at one time, bristling with textile mills until ill-advised U.S. trade practices put forth by both parties caused the lion's share mills to shut down. Major cities in this region include Greensboro, Winston-Salem, and Charlotte. Banking is Charlotte's premier industry and the city has more potential for tourism than is evident from the first glance.
The Research Triangle is bordered by Duke University in Durham, the University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill, and North Carolina State University in Raleigh. It is called the research triangle because all three universities have done great investigations in terms of pharmaceuticals, medicines, chemistry, physics, biology, etc. From the Hollywood stereotypes of North Carolina, it might surprise many to know that there are more Ph.D.'s per square mile in Orange, Durham, and Wake county than anywhere else in the USA. Eastern North Carolina's main industries are tourism, defence, and tobacco. North Carolina's Outer Banks aren't only a good beach resort, but they played a part in two historical events. Roanoke Island was the first English colony in the Americas, settled in 1584. Virginia Dare was the first English citizen born on American shores. The county containing Roanoke Island and a goodly part of the Outer Banks was named for her. The first successful heavier-than-air flight took place on 17 December 1903 on a windy day on a sand dune in Kitty Hawk. There are quite a lot of military bases in the eastern third of North Carolina including Camp Lejeune, Pope Air Force Base, Cherry Point, and Seymour Johnston. In the more rural counties, tobacco is still the cash crop despite declining smoking rates in America.
For much of North Carolina's history, there have only been blacks and whites. However, in recent years there has been an explosion in the Latino population. In larger cities, there is a notable Asian population as well. North Carolina has always had a small-town, religious, and conservative set of values. The PhD's and the come-heres from other states have not moderated that as much as some have hoped. The nice thing about North Carolina is you have to come back several times in order to be able to understand its people, its culture, and see all it has to offer.
- Pros:North Carolina is a state of natural beauty and increasing cultural diversity.
- Cons:I can't think of anything (related to travel) right off the top of my head.
- In a nutshell:There is something for everybody in North Carolina.
This restaurant could not have been more convenient to our hotel, then a Comfort Inn. It was also perfect for what we... more travel advice
You often hear of North Carolina barbecue. Well, there is no single kind of North Carolina barbecue. What is generally... more travel advice
- See All Good stuff, lower price
- See All Wrightsville Beach, 1973
- See All Biltmore Estate: Asheville
- American football
b1bob's Related Pages
North Carolina Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "North Carolina"
- "Blue mountains and sandy shores"
- "Carolina in my mind"
- "OBX (Outer Banks) to Great Smoky"
- "North Carolina , my second favorite State"
- "North Carolina Beaches"
- "North Carolina"
- See All...
- Things to Do in North Carolina
- Hotels in North Carolina
- Transportation in North Carolina
- Nightlife in North Carolina
- Restaurants in North Carolina
- Shopping in North Carolina
- Warnings and Dangers in North Carolina
- See All...
Badges & Stats in North Carolina
- 258 Reviews
- 316 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 10 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (46)
Have you been to North Carolina?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in North Carolina
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 244 reviews, 480 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 203 reviews, 326 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Virginia Intro, 154 reviews, 244 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 80 reviews, 123 photos
- Mechanicsville Intro, 66 reviews, 122 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Charlotte Intro, 83 reviews, 91 photos, 1 travelogue
- Washington D.C. Intro, 70 reviews, 77 photos, 2 travelogues
- Virgilina Intro, 52 reviews, 85 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Williamsburg Intro, 51 reviews, 64 photos
- Europe Intro, 51 reviews, 53 photos