Maryland Transportation Tips by b1bob Top 5 Page for this destination
Maryland Transportation: 23 reviews and 40 photos
BWI Airport gate area
Baltimore Washington International Airport is located, really, in Ferndale, just 8.5 miles (14 km.) from Baltimore's Inner Harbour. Aside from domestic airlines such as American, United, Northwest and Southwest, BWI as it is commonly called, also caters to Aer Lingus, British Airways, and Icelandair. If you're coming in from Reykjavík, Baltimore is your choice point of entry. Baltimore has all manner of ground transport including local trains, buses, taxis, and limos. Amtrak even has a station nearby.
New Carrollton station
Parts of suburban Maryland in Prince George's and Montgomery County are served my metro rail and metro bus goes further into the hinterlands. The pictured metro station is in New Carrollton, Maryland at the eastern terminus of the metro rail's orange line. New Carrollton is the first of many stops northbound on Amtrak's northeast corridor (Washington-Boston). Because the New Carrollton station is both a metro and an Amtrak station, it should be classified as both "train" and "subway/metro".
Popularly known as the Bay Bridge, plans to build a span linking Maryland's Eastern Shore with the rest of the state had been in the making for more than 40 years. The idea was conceived of as early as 1907. Unlike the Delaware Memorial Bridge, nearly everybody wanted it. The site selected was between Sandy Point and Stevensville. Construction was delayed twice, not because of strong and powerful opposition by the shipping industry. It was first delayed in 1929 on account of the Great Depression and the early 1940s for World War 2. Initial dredging began in 1949 and its original span opened in 1952. In 1973, a twin span was constructed. One for eastbound and the other for westbound traffic. Both spans are 4.35 miles (7 km.) long and are 186 feet (57 m.) above the water to allow ships to pass.
Gov. Nice bridge spanning the Potomac
The Nice bridge crosses the Potomac River between King George County, Virginia and Charles County, Maryland. It is a toll bridge ($3), but only one way. If you live south of Maryland and want to beat the toll, go north into Maryland on Rt. 301, but return on Interstate 95.
Baltimore water taxi
Water taxis are a reasonable way to get around Baltimore. Fares are $5 for adults, $2 for children. Day and month passes can also be bought. The taxis are blue and white and are marked water taxi. Be careful. Not all taxis stop at every landing. You may have to transfer. Tell the pilot where you want to get off upon boarding. When it comes up a bad cloud, water taxis will go to the nearest landing and won't start back until the cloud passes.
Your traditional rest areas along the interstates of the United States is a brick building with loos, vending machines, plenty of parking, and maybe some green space for strolls and picnics. At state lines, the rest area also has a welcome centre. However the state of Maryland offers more along Interstate 95. At exit 82, in Aberdeen northeast of Baltimore, is the Maryland House Service Area. Of course, there are loos, payphones, and vending machines, but there are also places to get travel information, ATM, fax, a post office, and wireless internet. You won't have to just settle for crisps and nabs (Southern for peanut butter crackers). There is a Bob's Big Boy Restaurant and a food court with a Cinnabon, Gourmet Bean, Roy Rogers, Sbarro, and TCBY. You can even get petrol at Exxon and Sunoco stations on site.
Baltimore Harbor Tunnel
The Baltimore Harbour Tunnel was completed late in 1957 as a quick way around all the traffic jams and stoplights in downtown Baltimore. It was designed by the same guy who designed New York's Lincoln and Holland tunnels. The tunnel is now part of Interstate 895 which surrounds Baltimore.
More Reviews (21)
- See All crabcakes are their specialty, but...
- See All One of the first supermarkets
- See All Please Drive Gently
- See All That's how they spell it, folks
b1bob's Related Pages
Maryland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "b1bob's cumulative Maryland adventures"
- "From the Ocean to the Bay to the Mountains"
- "Welcome to Maryland"
- "MARYLAND, NORTH - SOUTH GATEWAY"
- "Welcome to MARYLAND"
- "Remembrance of Our Civil War"
- "frankcanfly's Maryland Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Maryland
- Hotels in Maryland
- Transportation in Maryland
- Nightlife in Maryland
- Restaurants in Maryland
- Shopping in Maryland
- Warnings and Dangers in Maryland
- See All...
Explore the World
- Ad Dammam
- Peshawar Hotels
- Stoney Creek
- Sweetland Center Hotels
- Langwarrin Hotels
- Province of Pangasinan Hotels
Badges & Stats in Maryland
- 28 Reviews
- 29 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (29)
Have you been to Maryland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Maryland
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: The same announcement..."
- Wrote a Review crabcakes are their specialty, but... in Maryland Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "crabcakes are their specialty, but..."
- Commented on one of tpangelinan's Maryland travel pages
- updated a Maryland Travel Page "b1bob's cumulative Maryland adventures"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 243 reviews, 479 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 203 reviews, 326 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Virginia Intro, 152 reviews, 240 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 80 reviews, 123 photos
- Mechanicsville Intro, 65 reviews, 121 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Charlotte Intro, 83 reviews, 91 photos, 1 travelogue
- Washington D.C. Intro, 70 reviews, 77 photos, 2 travelogues
- Virgilina Intro, 52 reviews, 85 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Williamsburg Intro, 51 reviews, 64 photos
- Europe Intro, 51 reviews, 53 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (150)
Top Maryland hotels
- Ocean City Hotels
- 149 Reviews - 196 Photos
- Baltimore Hotels
- 1184 Reviews - 3354 Photos
- Rockville Hotels
- 41 Reviews - 46 Photos
- Saint Michaels Hotels
- 44 Reviews - 115 Photos
- Bethesda Hotels
- 21 Reviews - 38 Photos
- Annapolis Hotels
- 223 Reviews - 537 Photos
- Calvert Cliffs State Park Hotels
- See nearby hotels
- Linthicum Hotels
- 9 Reviews - 41 Photos
- Laurel Hotels
- 6 Reviews - 11 Photos
- Largo Hotels
- 1 Review - 5 Photos
- Towson Hotels
- 43 Reviews - 114 Photos
- Silver Spring Hotels
- 29 Reviews - 33 Photos
- Linthicum Heights Hotels
- 1 Review - 8 Photos
- Hunt Valley Hotels
- 10 Reviews - 27 Photos
- Salisbury Hotels
- 4 Reviews