Washington D.C. Hotel Tips by b1bob
Washington D.C. Hotels: 89,429 reviews and 271 photos
Unique Qualities: On their website, they say it is the closest thing to staying in the White House without being invited by the President. Well, it is located within spitting distance of the White House. My friend Stefan is a Days Inn type of guy just like myself, but he was part of a delegation of staffers from the German Bundestag on official business, so they say a little bit of elegance was called for. As uncomfortable as I was with said elegance, I went into the Hay-Adams to meet Stefan for lunch and a little bit of touring. I don't care if I ever do get rich or famous enough to stay here, I'm staying at the Days Inn across from Fort Myer, taking the free hotel shuttle to Rosslyn, and the metro to McPherson Square if somebody in the White House ever wants to talk to me. I know the folks at Hay-Adams try hard and they were very kind to me (holding the door for me even though I wasn't their guest), but it's just not the "b1bob" kind of hotel.
Address: 800 16TH STREET NW, Washington, DC 20006
Comparison: most expensive
Directions: From I Street: Keep straight until you see the AFL-CIO building, take a hard right. When you see the White House, the Hay-Adams is on your right.
Phone: (202) 638-6600
Days Inn Gateway
The Days Inn Gateway is located in a seedier section of Washington, DC. The only reason my boss reserved this place was its irresistibly close proximity to our auction site in March, 1994. We felt only moderately safe with our room doors locked. Other guests were so loud at night that it was impossible to get to sleep. This is no reflection on Days Inn. They have a much better location just across the river in Arlington.
Address: 2700 New York Avenue, NE, Washington, DC 20002
Comparison: least expensive
More Reviews (68)
- See All Archives
- See All The parade...finally
- See All RFK Stadium
- See All Heightened Security
- See All Protests
b1bob's Related Pages
Washington D.C. Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Neither American nor European City :-)"
- "Washington DC"
- "Washington D.C."
- "MY HOMETOWN"
- "Washington D.C."
- "My Hometown"
- "Welcome to Washington DC our Nations Capital"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Washington D.C.
- Hotels in Washington D.C.
- Transportation in Washington D.C.
- Nightlife in Washington D.C.
- Restaurants in Washington D.C.
- Shopping in Washington D.C.
- Warnings and Dangers in Washington D.C.
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Washington D.C.
- 70 Reviews
- 76 Photos
- 18 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (29)
Have you been to Washington D.C.?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Washington D.C.
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: Seeing which friends are online"
- Commented on one of travelfrosch's Washington D.C. travel pages
- Wrote a Review Archives about National Archives in Washington D.C. Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Archives"
- updated a Washington D.C. Travelogue "Protest: an American Way of Life"
Photos in Washington D.C.See All Photos (76)
Read real reviews about Washington D.C. Hotels!
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 244 reviews, 480 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 203 reviews, 326 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Virginia Intro, 154 reviews, 244 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 80 reviews, 123 photos
- Mechanicsville Intro, 65 reviews, 120 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Charlotte Intro, 83 reviews, 91 photos, 1 travelogue
- Washington D.C. Intro, 70 reviews, 77 photos, 2 travelogues
- Virgilina Intro, 52 reviews, 85 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Williamsburg Intro, 51 reviews, 64 photos
- Europe Intro, 51 reviews, 53 photos
- The White House- 130 Reviews, 208 Photos
- Washington Monument- 117 Reviews, 218 Photos
- Lincoln Memorial- 142 Reviews, 284 Photos
- National Gallery of Art- 64 Reviews, 193 Photos
- U.S. Capitol Building- 143 Reviews, 366 Photos
- Chinatown- 18 Reviews, 42 Photos
- Arlington National Cemetery - House- 106 Reviews, 178 Photos
- U.S. Holocaust Museum- 34 Reviews, 40 Photos
- S.I. National Air and Space Museum- 94 Reviews, 209 Photos
- Jefferson Memorial - The Tidal Basin- 95 Reviews, 189 Photos
See All Washington D.C. Things to Do