California Local Custom Tips by b1bob
California Local Customs: 39 reviews and 29 photos
Ronald Reagan (1911-2004) was born in Tampico, Illinois on 6 February 1911 and grew up in Dixon, Illinois. However, he has lived a goodly part of his life in California. He served as a lifeguard during his youth and saved dozens and dozens of lives from the river. He started out as a radio personality in the Midwest, and slowly moved westward to California in the 1930's. He became a movie actor and was married to Jane Wyman 1940-1948. In 1952, he married Nancy Reagan. Reagan got his first taste of politics by doing an advertisement endorsing Barry Goldwater for president in 1964. The interesting thing is this icon of the Republican party was a Democrat through to the 1950's. He voted for F.D.R. all 4 times plus Truman in 1948, and voted Republican since Eisenhower. In 1966, Reagan ran for governor against an incumbent Democrat and won, serving from 1966-1974. He ran unsuccesfully for president in 1976, narrowly losing to Gerald Ford. In 1980, he ran much more succesfully both in the primary and the general election. In 1984, he was even more successful on reelection. Reagan's firm stance against communism is often credited for its fall in the former Soviet Union and the liberation of Eastern Europe. Five years out of the presidency, Reagan was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease and is steadily deteriorating as of this writing. Regardless of that, Reagan is the longest-lived former president, living to make 93 years old when he died 5 June 2004..
Some localities in California has some of the most stringent anti-smoking laws in the USA. I'm sure the city of Los Angeles has a smoking ban in all restaurants, including bars. I'm not sure if the ban extends to the whole of L.A. county. On top of that, some beaches have even banned smoking on them (enforced by a hefty fine). I don't smoke, but some people might find this somewhat helpful.
Richard M. Nixon
Richard Milhous Nixon (1913-1994) was born in Yorba Linda, California on 9 January 1913. He married the former Patricia Ryan in 1940. After serving in World War II, he was elected to the U.S. House of Representatives in 1946. Nixon served there until standing successfully for an open Senate seat in 1950. Nixon had probably counted on a long Senate career when Dwight David Eisenhower unexpectedly nominated him for vice president in 1952. He served as vice president for all 8 years of the Eisenhower administration. He stood for president in 1960, losing to John F. Kennedy by the narrowest margin. In 1968, he won the presidency almost as narrowly as he lost it in 1960. In 1972, he won it handily, losing only Massachusetts and the District of Columbia. Unfortunately, from 1972-1974, his presidency was fixed on the Watergate scandal, where Nixon's coverups and tapes led to his resignation on 9 August 1974. Richard M. Nixon died in New York City on 22 April 1994 and is buried just a short distance from where he was born 81 years earlier.
With San Francisco, Berkeley, and Hollywood, California gets a reputation for being monolithically liberal. That isn't completely true. Sure, it is plenty liberal along the coast with the notable exceptions of San Diego and Orange County. You go 5 miles (8 km.) inland, you can almost feel it get more conservative. The Central Valley, for example, is culturally closer to small-town Oklahoma or Texas than San Francisco (just beyond the Coast Range).
More Reviews (30)
- See All Waldo (or Rainbow) Tunnel
- See All Calaveras Big Trees State Park
- Santa Clara Marriott
- See All Hollywood
- See All Ontario (California) International...
b1bob's Related Pages
California Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "CALIFORNIA ~ It's not about the glam, but nature!"
- "California - What More Do I Need To Say?"
- "Always on My Mind....California"
- "Our awesome trip to California summer of 2004"
- "The Regions of California"
- "GOLDEN STATE"
- See All...
- Things to Do in California
- Hotels in California
- Transportation in California
- Nightlife in California
- Restaurants in California
- Shopping in California
- Warnings and Dangers in California
- See All...
Explore the World
- Skedsmokorset Hotels
- Gullane Hotels
- Valdanos Hotels
- Gravesend Hotels
- Puerto Montt Local Customs
- Gauchos / Folklore
- Vladivostok Local Customs
- Pinhão Local Customs
- 2 languages are spoken Flemish and French.
- Saint-Jean-Baptiste (Quebec National Day)
- Dress Code
- Useful information about Lisbon
- Rishikesh Local Customs
- Ho Chi Minh City Local Customs
- Banaue Local Customs
- China Local Customs
Badges & Stats in California
- 121 Reviews
- 131 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (29)
Have you been to California?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in California
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 243 reviews, 479 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 203 reviews, 326 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Virginia Intro, 153 reviews, 241 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 80 reviews, 123 photos
- Mechanicsville Intro, 65 reviews, 121 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Charlotte Intro, 83 reviews, 91 photos, 1 travelogue
- Washington D.C. Intro, 70 reviews, 77 photos, 2 travelogues
- Virgilina Intro, 52 reviews, 85 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Williamsburg Intro, 51 reviews, 64 photos
- Europe Intro, 51 reviews, 53 photos
Top California hotels
- Los Angeles Hotels
- 4385 Reviews - 8826 Photos
- San Francisco Hotels
- 9107 Reviews - 19366 Photos
- San Diego Hotels
- 3189 Reviews - 7242 Photos
- Anaheim Hotels
- 711 Reviews - 1958 Photos
- Palm Springs Hotels
- 349 Reviews - 766 Photos
- Santa Barbara Hotels
- 646 Reviews - 1200 Photos
- Monterey Hotels
- 917 Reviews - 2734 Photos
- Santa Monica Hotels
- 457 Reviews - 1054 Photos
- Marina del Rey Hotels
- 85 Reviews - 163 Photos
- Hollywood Hotels
- 448 Reviews - 1294 Photos
- Manhattan Beach Hotels
- 350 Reviews - 759 Photos
- Mammoth Lakes Hotels
- 252 Reviews - 499 Photos
- Solvang Hotels
- 268 Reviews - 678 Photos
- Cambria Hotels
- 77 Reviews - 202 Photos
- Yosemite National Park Hotels
- 1499 Reviews - 3437 Photos
- PCH--Pacific Coast Highway--Highway 1- 21 Reviews, 30 Photos
- Other California Sights- 71 Reviews, 320 Photos
- Giant Redwoods- 19 Reviews, 22 Photos
- Hearst Castle- 23 Reviews, 59 Photos
- Pacific Ocean / Local Beaches- 16 Reviews, 19 Photos
- Yosemite National Park- 50 Reviews, 58 Photos
- Museums / Libraries- 21 Reviews, 61 Photos
- Other National / State Parks- 59 Reviews, 122 Photos
- BIG SUR- 25 Reviews, 38 Photos
- LOS ANGELES- 34 Reviews, 62 Photos
See All California Things to Do