"California there I was" California by b1bob
California Travel Guide: 45,969 reviews and 109,503 photos
I have been to California 5 times in my life:
August, 1985: San Francisco, Stockton & Calaveras County I accompanied my (then) 76-year old Grandma Terry to northern California to visit my Aunt Natalie, Uncle Dick, and cousins Scott and Eric. We landed late on Friday 16 August 1985, spent the night in Santa Clara, toured San Francisco the following day, and went on to Stockton that night. The following day, we visited Uncle Dick's parents Helen & Henry in Calaveras County in redwood country an hour and a half to the east of Stockton.
June / July, 1991: layover @ LAX to and from the Pacific Islands tour. On the way out, our 6-hour layover was punctuated by an earthquake measuring 6,1 on the Richter scale while we were in flight from Chicago. By the time we landed, the earthquake was over and there were no aftershocks during the layover. I was right in my belief that there would be only minor cosmetic damage (there were only a few broken windows). On the way back, it was just a normal layover.
May, 1995: Ontario, Chino Hills, Buena Park, Anaheim, Yorba Linda, Hollywood, Santa Monica, LaPuente: On landing in Ontario, I visited my friend Clint for the first time since I couldn't make his wedding the following August. We visited Knott's Berry Farm, Disneyland, the Richard Nixon library, Hollywood, Santa Monica, and La Puente (Frisco's Restaurant), all during the Memorial Day weekend
August / September, 1996: Ontario, Chino Hills, Anaheim, LaPuente (Frisco's again), Walnut, Simi Valley, Corona del Mar, Valencia, City of Industry & Diamond Bar I revisited Clint and met Natasha for the first time. Once again, I landed at Ontario, CA and revisited Disneyland and ate again at Frisco's. A lot of what we did this time was new. We visited the Reagan Library in Simi Valley, went to the beach at Corona del Mar, and visited Six Flags Magic Mountain in Valencia.
August, 1998: San Diego, Chula Vista, National City & Jamul. Taking my high school buddy Sean on his invitation, I found a good deal and stayed a week with him, Debbie and the (then 2) children (they have 3 now). We stayed in the San Diego area. The highlight of that trip was going to a baseball game at Qualcomm Park with a client of Sean's in a limousine. Going with Sean to play golf near Jamul also proved more interesting than I thought.
For more detailed recommendations, visit the individual city sites.
- Pros:California's diverse landcscape and its weather- particularly in San Diego.
- Cons:Too much smog in L.A., too many earthquakes overall, and too much of an "anything goes" type of culture.
- In a nutshell:It's a nice place to visit, but I don't want to live there.
The Waldo Tunnel stood out to me upon crossing the Golden Gate bridge for the rainbow painted at the portal. It is part... more travel advice
The Santa Clara Marriott Silicon Valley is located at the junction of Highway 101 and Great America Parkway in the heart... more travel advice
- See All Famous Californian: Ronald Reagan
- See All Ontario (California) International...
- Ralph's Super Market
- See All San Diego Chargers
b1bob's Related Pages
California Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "CALIFORNIA ~ It's not about the glam, but nature!"
- "California - What More Do I Need To Say?"
- "Always on My Mind....California"
- "Our awesome trip to California summer of 2004"
- "The Regions of California"
- "GOLDEN STATE"
- See All...
- Things to Do in California
- Hotels in California
- Transportation in California
- Nightlife in California
- Restaurants in California
- Shopping in California
- Warnings and Dangers in California
- See All...
Badges & Stats in California
- 121 Reviews
- 131 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (29)
Have you been to California?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in California
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 243 reviews, 479 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 203 reviews, 326 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Virginia Intro, 153 reviews, 241 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 80 reviews, 123 photos
- Mechanicsville Intro, 65 reviews, 121 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Charlotte Intro, 83 reviews, 91 photos, 1 travelogue
- Washington D.C. Intro, 70 reviews, 77 photos, 2 travelogues
- Virgilina Intro, 52 reviews, 85 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Williamsburg Intro, 51 reviews, 64 photos
- Europe Intro, 51 reviews, 53 photos
Top California hotels
- San Francisco Hotels
- 9106 Reviews - 19355 Photos
- Los Angeles Hotels
- 4385 Reviews - 8826 Photos
- San Diego Hotels
- 3189 Reviews - 7242 Photos
- Anaheim Hotels
- 711 Reviews - 1958 Photos
- Palm Springs Hotels
- 349 Reviews - 766 Photos
- Santa Barbara Hotels
- 646 Reviews - 1200 Photos
- Monterey Hotels
- 917 Reviews - 2734 Photos
- Santa Monica Hotels
- 457 Reviews - 1054 Photos
- Hollywood Hotels
- 448 Reviews - 1294 Photos
- Marina del Rey Hotels
- 85 Reviews - 163 Photos
- Manhattan Beach Hotels
- 350 Reviews - 759 Photos
- Solvang Hotels
- 268 Reviews - 678 Photos
- Mammoth Lakes Hotels
- 252 Reviews - 499 Photos
- Cambria Hotels
- 77 Reviews - 202 Photos
- Yosemite National Park Hotels
- 1499 Reviews - 3437 Photos