United States of America Tourist Trap Tips by b1bob Top 5 Page for this destination
United States of America Tourist Traps: 44 reviews and 24 photos
canteens at the Diamond: Richmond, VA
Sport stadiums and arenas often serve at least fair to middling cuisine at stadium restaurants and/or concession stands. The trouble is, vending contracts with the owners of the stadium or arena often allow them to charge confiscatory prices. For example, at Richmond's Diamond (where the minor league Richmond Braves play), a simple soft drink costs $3.50. Folks, that dog won't hunt. The drink had better be gold-plated for me to spend that much. If that isn't enough to curdle your nacho cheese, part of the agreement between the stadiums and the concessionaires prohibits folks from bringing large containers into the stadium so you can't smuggle in your own food. This captive audience phenomenon enables them to gouge the public. The last time I went to the Diamond, the drinking fountains were also disabled to hoodswankle folks to the concession stands.
Unique Suggestions: A little strategic preplanning (see below) should keep you from having to pay the confiscatory prices.
Fun Alternatives: There are a couple of ways you can get around this. First, eat a big meal at home before you go or at a restaurant near your local stadium or arena. Second, have a tailgate party in the parking lot a couple of hours before the sport event begins.
Trying to find a money exchange in this country is a bigger challenge than many foreign visitors might be used to. The best thing to do is probably to either get travelers cheques from American Express in U.S. dollars (you can have them replaced if lost or stolen) before you leave home. Most banks can change from foreign currency into U.S. currency. It is just very rarely advertised. Changing from U.S. to other currencies is typically only able to be done at main branches in larger cites though. I also believe that MOST American Express travel locations can change currency.
South of the Border
South of the Border is the quintessential American tourist trap. Located just south of the North Carolina-South Carolina line, this collection of gaudy restaurants, shops, and even 300 motel rooms, takes the "South of the Border" theme to the hilt. It is garish by my standards (my easy chair is orange) during the day, you should see it lit up at night. Furthermore, it is advertised by billboard as far away as Florida! The one thing I like about it is that its Mexican caricatures are unapologetically politically incorrect in an age where some folks mistakenly believe in a right never to be offended.
3346 US Highway 301 & I-95
Dillon, South Carolina 29536
More Reviews (200)
- See All The west as they know it
- See All unique, authentic, and always affordable
- See All movies
- See All George Bush Intercontinental Airport...
- See All Yard sales
- See All The Pop Shoppe
b1bob's Related Pages
United States of America Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "BASAIC's USA Page"
- "A constant work in progress"
- "United States: A Melting Pot"
- "America the Beautiful"
- "Saying Goodbye to the United States of America"
- "THE UNITED STATES"
- "USA - several trips"
- See All...
- Things to Do in United States of America
- Hotels in United States of America
- Transportation in United States of America
- Nightlife in United States of America
- Restaurants in United States of America
- Shopping in United States of America
- Warnings and Dangers in United States of America
- See All...
Badges & Stats in United States of America
- 1,801 Reviews
- 2,574 Photos
- 53 Forum posts
- 40 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (47)
Have you been to United States of America?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in United States of America
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: Seeing which friends are online"
- Uploaded a Photo to "New York's John F. Kennedy Int'l Airport (JFK)"
- Wrote a Review The west as they know it in United States of America Restaurants
- updated a United States of America Travel Page "A constant work in progress"
- Commented on one of Leipzig's United States of America travel pages
Photos in United States of AmericaSee All Photos (2576)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 245 reviews, 482 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 203 reviews, 326 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Virginia Intro, 154 reviews, 245 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 80 reviews, 123 photos
- Mechanicsville Intro, 66 reviews, 124 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Charlotte Intro, 83 reviews, 91 photos, 1 travelogue
- Washington D.C. Intro, 76 reviews, 93 photos, 2 travelogues
- Virgilina Intro, 52 reviews, 85 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Williamsburg Intro, 51 reviews, 64 photos
- Europe Intro, 51 reviews, 53 photos