"A constant work in progress" Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America by b1bob

United States of America Travel Guide: 288,313 reviews and 669,462 photos

It's strange how my U.S.A. page got started. I had thought about doing it before, but I didn't know where to begin. A friend of mine matcrazy1 asked me a series of questions about the United States and that led to more tips and photos than I originally thought possible. I put most of it up in one weekend in July, 2002. I thought of a few more things on my own, then VT relaunch gave me slots for shopping and sport travel tips.

Too many people from outside the U.S. perceive this country to be little else other than New York and Los Angeles. I don't blame them for it, but rather Hollywood, for having movies take place in those locales as opposed to flyover country (everywhere else). When they do portray flyover country, they cast it in a negative light. For information on specific places, click on the individual city sites. If you have any questions this page doesn't yet cover, please ask me. I'll answer your question, if I can, by private e-mail and, hopefully, put that information on the site to help out other people.

On putting up Office Max and other national chains on my USA shopping tips, I do that only to show the kind of stores one would find in a large part of the United States. Putting the stores there is not necessarily my personal endorsement. Some of those stores, like Pier 1 Imports or Great Indoors, I wouldn't be caught dead in, but I put them up to show you can find them in huge chunks of this country. Same with restaurants. I'm not at all enthused with the quality of food Hooters serves, but you'll find at least one in any city of any size. I don't include McDonald's because that is a multinational chain already well-known to most VT members. I reserve the right to put real good or real bad examples of these national chains on that destination's page. It's a matter of general (USA page) versus specifics (that destination), but I'll do this sparingly.

American petrol prices may seem cheap to my friends from other countries, but conflict in the Middle East and other factors make petrol the most expensive it has ever been. However, here is a link to find the least onerous petrol prices broken down by U.S. state and Canadian province.

Folks, I don't claim to have seen everything on the USA, but this gives you a good overview. My page most certainly doesn't have all the answers to your questions...yet. However, between mine and these five "deecat", "acemj", "richiecdisc", "sambarnett", "seagoingJLW", I think we hit most of the high spots. Don't assume, for example, that because my Don't Skip the Small Towns tip has a photo of Ashland, Virginia that what I say in the tip is any less true in Muleshoe, Texas or Warroad, Minnesota. My courthouse pic was taken in Oxford, North Carolina, but I do know that the county courthouse is the focal point in nearly every county. If I don't have enough cities, towns, or national parks up, stick around. This will probably be the page of mine that gets updated the most. However, I'm not real big on camping. The common misconception about national parks is that it has to be a big expanse out west. Various historic sites like the Wright Memorial and the Shenandoah National Forest are run by the National Park Society. It is a constant work in progress with only brief respites in between.

There are some folks who may find my local custom tips hard reading because I shatter myths that folks in other countries have about America and its people or I explain why certain aspects of American culture are different. It may be tough for some folks to read, but there is nothing in there that is untrue. If you come into it with an open mind, you still may not agree or like the approach, but you will understand it a little better.

General things that fit the USA as a whole like national parks, modes of transport, and national chain stores will appear. I will also put on tips from states in which I don't have enough information to put a freestanding state page. When I travel and acquire that information, this kind of tip will be transferred from the USA page to that state page.

The bald eagle is our national bird. At one time, they were on the verge of extinction, but the species seems to be thriving. Some of them even have the good taste to set up housekeeping close to Buggs Island Lake (near Clarksville, Virginia). Our flag consists of 13 stripes alternating red and white, representing the 13 original states. In the upper left corner are 50 white stars on a blue background representing the 50 present day states. Thanks to "darthmilmo" for the photo.

• Pros:There is more to the U.S. than just New York and L.A.
  • Cons:You have to come back at least 10 times to really see it all.
  • In a nutshell:There's something for everyone in the USA.
  • Intro Updated Nov 9, 2008

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Aug 12, 2009 at 9:30 AM

hi Bob, not bad going - a few hundred tips - almost got thru them all this afternoon! Im reminiscing about my previous trips to NYC and drive down to W.Virginia and up to Toronto!was excellent.but time for a rtn visit to see a bit more!

• Mikebond's Profile Photo
    Nov 18, 2008 at 9:54 AM

Nice updates! I must take my time to read the other hundreds of tips...

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Feb 20, 2008 at 4:12 PM

The pot stickers look great. TGI is one of the better chains, like you said fast and friendly.

• Jan 5, 2008 at 4:13 AM

A GREAT full information USA web site! Happy new year 2008! Nikos

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo
    Dec 21, 2007 at 4:53 PM

It is hard to miss a good pastrami sandwich in NYC, but I agree, leave the Deli trips to the ladies.

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo
    Oct 18, 2007 at 2:26 PM

It sounds like Buffalo Wild Wings won't be getting your custom again in future, Nat! I'd stick with the Indian and Moroccan places that you enjoyed so much last week! :-)

• Propermark's Profile Photo
    Jun 13, 2007 at 1:00 PM

I read what you wrote on this page and I agree with you when you say that many people think the USA is just NYC and LA. TV always let us see these cities and few other places. I will soon read your tips too. Ciao.

• acemj's Profile Photo
    Jun 6, 2007 at 8:11 PM

Sounds like a great Brazilian feast.

• marcelo15's Profile Photo
    Feb 14, 2007 at 9:01 AM

hi nat, interesting warning or dangers tips..specially i liked the phrase (click it or ticket)..yeah, everybody must use the seat belt...greets, marce.

• MikeAtSea's Profile Photo
    Oct 19, 2006 at 2:48 AM

Wow this page is growing!! Well done my friend! Michael

b1bob

Badges & Stats in United States of America

• 1,763 Reviews
  • 2,501 Photos

Have you been to United States of America?