"A constant work in progress" Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America by b1bob
United States of America Travel Guide: 288,313 reviews and 669,462 photos
It's strange how my U.S.A. page got started. I had thought about doing it before, but I didn't know where to begin. A friend of mine matcrazy1 asked me a series of questions about the United States and that led to more tips and photos than I originally thought possible. I put most of it up in one weekend in July, 2002. I thought of a few more things on my own, then VT relaunch gave me slots for shopping and sport travel tips.
Too many people from outside the U.S. perceive this country to be little else other than New York and Los Angeles. I don't blame them for it, but rather Hollywood, for having movies take place in those locales as opposed to flyover country (everywhere else). When they do portray flyover country, they cast it in a negative light. For information on specific places, click on the individual city sites. If you have any questions this page doesn't yet cover, please ask me. I'll answer your question, if I can, by private e-mail and, hopefully, put that information on the site to help out other people.
On putting up Office Max and other national chains on my USA shopping tips, I do that only to show the kind of stores one would find in a large part of the United States. Putting the stores there is not necessarily my personal endorsement. Some of those stores, like Pier 1 Imports or Great Indoors, I wouldn't be caught dead in, but I put them up to show you can find them in huge chunks of this country. Same with restaurants. I'm not at all enthused with the quality of food Hooters serves, but you'll find at least one in any city of any size. I don't include McDonald's because that is a multinational chain already well-known to most VT members. I reserve the right to put real good or real bad examples of these national chains on that destination's page. It's a matter of general (USA page) versus specifics (that destination), but I'll do this sparingly.
American petrol prices may seem cheap to my friends from other countries, but conflict in the Middle East and other factors make petrol the most expensive it has ever been. However, here is a link to find the least onerous petrol prices broken down by U.S. state and Canadian province.
Folks, I don't claim to have seen everything on the USA, but this gives you a good overview. My page most certainly doesn't have all the answers to your questions...yet. However, between mine and these five "deecat", "acemj", "richiecdisc", "sambarnett", "seagoingJLW", I think we hit most of the high spots. Don't assume, for example, that because my Don't Skip the Small Towns tip has a photo of Ashland, Virginia that what I say in the tip is any less true in Muleshoe, Texas or Warroad, Minnesota. My courthouse pic was taken in Oxford, North Carolina, but I do know that the county courthouse is the focal point in nearly every county. If I don't have enough cities, towns, or national parks up, stick around. This will probably be the page of mine that gets updated the most. However, I'm not real big on camping. The common misconception about national parks is that it has to be a big expanse out west. Various historic sites like the Wright Memorial and the Shenandoah National Forest are run by the National Park Society. It is a constant work in progress with only brief respites in between.
There are some folks who may find my local custom tips hard reading because I shatter myths that folks in other countries have about America and its people or I explain why certain aspects of American culture are different. It may be tough for some folks to read, but there is nothing in there that is untrue. If you come into it with an open mind, you still may not agree or like the approach, but you will understand it a little better.
General things that fit the USA as a whole like national parks, modes of transport, and national chain stores will appear. I will also put on tips from states in which I don't have enough information to put a freestanding state page. When I travel and acquire that information, this kind of tip will be transferred from the USA page to that state page.
The bald eagle is our national bird. At one time, they were on the verge of extinction, but the species seems to be thriving. Some of them even have the good taste to set up housekeeping close to Buggs Island Lake (near Clarksville, Virginia). Our flag consists of 13 stripes alternating red and white, representing the 13 original states. In the upper left corner are 50 white stars on a blue background representing the 50 present day states. Thanks to "darthmilmo" for the photo.
- Pros:There is more to the U.S. than just New York and L.A.
- Cons:You have to come back at least 10 times to really see it all.
- In a nutshell:There's something for everyone in the USA.
I start out sceptical of chain restaurants and more so chain steakhouses. Because I can get steak better than most... more travel advice
Normally, I'm not keen on purple in any context, but this restaurant along West Broad Street in Glen Allen had these... more travel advice
- See All movies
- See All George Bush Intercontinental Airport...
- See All Yard sales
- See All The Pop Shoppe
- See All Any port in a storm
- See All Little League Sports
- See All Stadium Cuisine
- See All Visit a funky neighbourhood
- See All Mind the evacuation signs
- Packing List
- Don't skip the small towns
Been to United States of America?Share your travels with the world!
b1bob's Related Pages
United States of America Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "BASAIC's USA Page"
- "A constant work in progress"
- "United States: A Melting Pot"
- "America the Beautiful"
- "Saying Goodbye to the United States of America"
- "THE UNITED STATES"
- "USA - several trips"
- See All...
- Things to Do in United States of America
- Hotels in United States of America
- Transportation in United States of America
- Nightlife in United States of America
- Restaurants in United States of America
- Shopping in United States of America
- Warnings and Dangers in United States of America
- See All...
Badges & Stats in United States of America
- 1,763 Reviews
- 2,501 Photos
- 53 Forum posts
- 39 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (29)
Have you been to United States of America?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in United States of America
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Seeing which friends are online"
- Uploaded a Photo to "New York's John F. Kennedy Int'l Airport (JFK)"
- Wrote a Review The west as they know it in United States of America Restaurants
- updated a United States of America Travel Page "A constant work in progress"
- Commented on one of Leipzig's United States of America travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 244 reviews, 480 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 203 reviews, 326 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Virginia Intro, 153 reviews, 241 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 80 reviews, 123 photos
- Mechanicsville Intro, 65 reviews, 121 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Charlotte Intro, 83 reviews, 91 photos, 1 travelogue
- Washington D.C. Intro, 70 reviews, 77 photos, 2 travelogues
- Virgilina Intro, 52 reviews, 85 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Williamsburg Intro, 51 reviews, 64 photos
- Europe Intro, 51 reviews, 53 photos