"b1bob's Excellent Uruguay Adventures" Colonia del Sacramento by b1bob

Colonia del Sacramento Travel Guide: 215 reviews and 598 photos

My friend and I took a day trip to Colonia del Sacramento, Uruguay. We set out the morning of Thursday, 27 December 2001 by ferry from Buenos Aires to Colonia del Sacramento. Normally, I don't like organised tours, but that was the most economical way we could tour this part of Uruguay. It turned out that this was the only place I could exchange my traveler's cheques for dollars which were mandatory in Uruguay and preferred in Argentina. For more details, read the tips.

• Pros:Colonia del Sacramento has a small town flair with all the amenities of a city.
  • Cons:The dialect is difficult for even a Spanish major to comprehend.
  • In a nutshell:A great place to take a day trip from Buenos Aires.
  • Last visit to Colonia del Sacramento: Dec 2001
  • Intro Updated Mar 26, 2004

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    May 18, 2012 at 10:25 PM

I'm not so found of organised tours either, but sometimes they turn out to be the best option. Too bad your guide had a difficult dialect to understand.

• tini58de's Profile Photo
    Jul 13, 2006 at 11:11 PM

nice little page, Bob! Fun reading - I really enjoyed it!

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo
    Jun 25, 2006 at 12:50 PM

Thanks for checking out my Dubai page, Nat. I don't know much about Uruguay....but Colonia del Sacramento sounds fascinating! Maybe one day I'll get there.

• RafaelTheSecond's Profile Photo
    Nov 27, 2005 at 5:06 AM

URUGUAY MEANS A LOT FOR ME AS i WAS RAISED THERE. Colonia deserves a second visit for sure, and you should see CARMELO, right next door, it is a lovely small city full of gardens and forests by the river!;)

• spanishguy's Profile Photo
    Nov 10, 2005 at 5:34 PM

I didn't ear nothing about Colonia del Sacramento before. It looks a peaceful city and a good beginig to meet anew country.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    May 8, 2005 at 7:15 AM

This is a riot, Nat. I really think that you should write a book abouting using similies since you do them so well. I almost "cackle" aloud when I read some of them! Love the diary style.

• novsco61's Profile Photo
    Mar 5, 2005 at 11:20 AM

Interesting page.Thanks for sharing it with us.

• ophiru's Profile Photo
    Feb 17, 2005 at 11:30 AM

nice page my friend - a one day trip that sounds very good and fun.

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Dec 29, 2004 at 1:30 PM

Don't know how I missed this page. Very true about the different dialects in Spanish. We had a tough time in Peru/Bolivia too. This sounds like a destination for a future trip to me, thanks.

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Aug 7, 2004 at 6:23 PM

Nice photos, Colonia should be on everyones BA itinary

b1bob

Badges & Stats in Colonia del Sacramento

Have you been to Colonia del Sacramento?