"b1bob's nouvelle page de Paris" Paris by b1bob

Paris Travel Guide: 22,628 reviews and 55,551 photos

Paris was the third stop in my first foreign trip in the summer of 1986. That was the summer after Reagan tried to bomb Qadafi and many Americans were scared he would retaliate that summer. Folks cancelled their European holidays in droves, but we didn't. As a result, the Parisians were nicer to Americans than usual.

Although I had used my French some in Luzern, this was my first chance to really prove myself in the language I had been taking for 3 years in high school. My French so impressed a maître d'hôtel (I ordered for others and escargot for myself) at a restaurant downtown that he served us personally. We saw all the obligatory sites and it was right much fun for an organised group tour.

• Pros:The French were nicer to Americans than I was told they would be.
  • Cons:You constantly have to be on guard against pickpockets.
  • Last visit to Paris: Jul 1986
  • Intro Updated Mar 17, 2005

• Feb 24, 2008 at 9:06 AM

I never been in Paris. Its the most popular attraction in the world, but anyway maybe i find the time in the future to be there. volopolo

• easterntrekker's Profile Photo
    Apr 11, 2007 at 6:26 PM

Loved reading about Paris . Its a place we have to visit again...if not for yhe food than definitely the wine!!

• eslim_81's Profile Photo
    Aug 13, 2006 at 1:41 AM

A great tip......yups the design is so impressive.....:)

• Renteboy's Profile Photo
    Mar 6, 2006 at 10:37 AM

I figured it out (the group picture infront of the Eiffel tower)... you took the picture :-)

• cazz38's Profile Photo
    Sep 15, 2005 at 2:38 PM

Lovely page on Paris,its only just across the water from me i must find the time to go there.Lovely pictures.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Mar 25, 2005 at 12:34 PM

You are almost dead center on the back row. The woman in front of you has a black dress and blue scarf. You have red/white striped shirt. Loved reading about you almost 20 yrs. ago. Lots of wit and wisdom.

• belgianchocolate's Profile Photo
    Mar 17, 2005 at 10:15 PM

I can't find you. I even cheated a bit and enlarged the picture with Ifranvieuw , but it looses too much quality. A group tour would be nothing for me...great tip.

• MedioLatino's Profile Photo
    Mar 9, 2005 at 3:02 PM

As you know, I'm off to Paris in some weeks...nice to see your insight too :)

• easyoar's Profile Photo
    Mar 6, 2005 at 1:55 PM

I notice you advise not to cross the road to get to the Arc de Triomphe. Unfortunately in one of my madder moments, I have done just this (since then I have discovered the underpasses...)

• ettenaj's Profile Photo
    Jan 31, 2005 at 4:00 PM

I love Paris, my son and gorlfriend are taking a trip there in a couple of weeks, I am sooooo jealous

b1bob