"b1bob's excellent Petropolis adventures" Top 5 Page for this destination Petrópolis by b1bob
Petrópolis Travel Guide: 120 reviews and 270 photos
Petrópolis is some 2500 feet (800 m.) above sea level. The elevation so effects the weather there that while the city has a tropical climate the year round, Petrópolis sees 4 distinct seasons. That's why royalty (when they had it) and other rich folks from Rio would spend their summers up the hill in Petrópolis, escaping from the oppressive heat downtown. Alexandre tells me that in high winter, the elevation allows for all four distinctive seasons- all in one day, sometimes. In the architecture and in some of the people, there is a hint of Swiss-German influence, as well as the predominant Portuguese heritage complete with azulejos.
- Pros:The climate here is a lot milder than in Rio.
- In a nutshell:The royals made an excellent choice for a home away from home.
They did sure enough put on the dog in Petrópolis to decorate the town for Christmas, 2001. There were many more... more travel advice
Rua Thereza in beautiful downtown Petrópolis offers a wide variety of clothes and other goods for less than $10 U.S. I... more travel advice
b1bob's Related Pages
Petrópolis Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Petrópolis Cidade Imperial"
- "Petropolis - Imperial City"
- "b1bob's excellent Petropolis adventures"
- "Imperial history..."
- "Petropolis: The Imperial City"
- "Mangueirense's Petropolis Page"
- "Petropolis - the Imperial City just 53 km from Rio"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Petrópolis
- Hotels in Petrópolis
- Transportation in Petrópolis
- Restaurants in Petrópolis
- Shopping in Petrópolis
- Warnings and Dangers in Petrópolis
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Petrópolis
- 24 Reviews
- 26 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 23 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (29)
Have you been to Petrópolis?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Petrópolis
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 243 reviews, 479 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 203 reviews, 326 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Virginia Intro, 153 reviews, 241 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 80 reviews, 123 photos
- Mechanicsville Intro, 65 reviews, 121 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Charlotte Intro, 83 reviews, 91 photos, 1 travelogue
- Washington D.C. Intro, 70 reviews, 77 photos, 2 travelogues
- Virgilina Intro, 52 reviews, 85 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Williamsburg Intro, 51 reviews, 64 photos
- Europe Intro, 51 reviews, 53 photos