"b1bob's excellent Petropolis adventures" Top 5 Page for this destination Petrópolis by b1bob

Petrópolis Travel Guide: 120 reviews and 270 photos

Petrópolis is some 2500 feet (800 m.) above sea level. The elevation so effects the weather there that while the city has a tropical climate the year round, Petrópolis sees 4 distinct seasons. That's why royalty (when they had it) and other rich folks from Rio would spend their summers up the hill in Petrópolis, escaping from the oppressive heat downtown. Alexandre tells me that in high winter, the elevation allows for all four distinctive seasons- all in one day, sometimes. In the architecture and in some of the people, there is a hint of Swiss-German influence, as well as the predominant Portuguese heritage complete with azulejos.

• Pros:The climate here is a lot milder than in Rio.
  • Cons:Mudslides!
  • In a nutshell:The royals made an excellent choice for a home away from home.
  • Last visit to Petrópolis: Jan 2002
  • Intro Updated Jan 17, 2011

• Oct 15, 2009 at 8:11 PM

Hello, the obelisk marks the arrival of the german colonizers. There are the plates with their surnames.

• Dec 11, 2008 at 11:27 AM

Petropolis (i think we have same name in Greece: Petroupoli: means city of stones). Nice job

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo
    Jun 26, 2007 at 8:43 PM

Great information!!!

• MarianaFerraz's Profile Photo
    May 23, 2007 at 1:09 PM

Hi. I live in Petropolis and I´m very happy that you enjoy the trip. Next time that you will come, let me know and I will give you some places to go with your family. Wish you good travels !

• dija19's Profile Photo
    May 8, 2007 at 7:11 PM

nice :O)

• Vulindlela's Profile Photo
    Mar 26, 2007 at 4:38 PM

Very cool page! Thank you for sharing.

• el_ruso's Profile Photo
    Dec 2, 2006 at 10:04 AM

I wish I had visited Petropolis when I was in Rio, but I didn't have time then. Great photos, and thanks for visiting my Tabor page. Wish you many happy travels!

• DPando's Profile Photo
    May 12, 2006 at 2:52 PM

nice family pics!! looks really nice!

• iwys's Profile Photo
    Jan 25, 2006 at 7:46 AM

Truly excellent tips, as usual, Nat! Hey, it's been a while. I've been in the land of M.A.S.H. for a year already.

• BluBluBlu's Profile Photo
    Jan 2, 2006 at 3:08 AM

Very interesting reading on Petropolis! Blu

b1bob

Badges & Stats in Petrópolis

Have you been to Petrópolis?

Latest Activity in Petrópolis