Rio de Janeiro Warnings Or Dangers Tips by b1bob
Rio de Janeiro Warnings and Dangers: 222 reviews and 107 photos
Mind the traffic
Mind the traffic. They think they're Richard Petty at the Daytona 500 and they think they own the road too in both Rio de Janeiro and in Petrópolis. For example, they whiz around corners at high speeds. The crosswalks are located some considerable distance from corners for a good reason. For your safety, cross at the crosswalks, not closer to the corner, minding the cars regardless of traffic lights.
Rio de Janeiro, and the rest of Brazil- from what I've been told- are not partitioned and zoned as neatly as in the U.S. and many parts of Europe. Favelas (poor neighbourhoods that are often held hostage by drug lords) can be in close proximity to upmarket shopping districts and tourist areas. There are some travel agencies who take people on tours there. If you want to go, pay one of those agencies. Don't go to a favela by yourself, or with a unknown guide. The tour operators have special arrangements with the local drug dealers. One wrong turn could land you in big trouble, so know the area before you venture out.
My tourist visa
I don't know why Americans need tourist visas to go into Brazil. I'm guessing that at some big diplomatic to-do somebody put the salad fork in the wrong spot, somebody on one side or the other got angry, imposed the visa restrictions, and the other side reciprocated in kind. It's strange how the politicians in whatever country take their pique out, not on each other, but on us tourists.
When I went in December, 2001, the rule was that you must get your visa no more than 90 days before your return from Brazil. It cost $45 (check the web site to see if it has gone up since then), you fill out a form that can be downloaded from the Brazilian embassy web site, mail it in or hand it in to your nearest consulate in person. It is good for up to 5 years.
More Reviews (29)
- See All More culinary tips on Brazil
- See All Fast food at the airport
- See All A notable (but not fond) memoury:...
- See All Birds-eye view of Rio de Janeiro
b1bob's Related Pages
Rio de Janeiro Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "RIO DE JANEIRO HAS SECRETS"
- "Welcome to the City of God"
- "Rio de Janeiro - Minha casa / My Home"
- "Rio de Janeiro - My favourite place on earth!"
- "RIO DE JANEIRO - WHAT A WONDERFUL WORLD!"
- "Imagining Rio"
- "Rio de Janeiro - a work in progress for a while..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rio de Janeiro
- Hotels in Rio de Janeiro
- Transportation in Rio de Janeiro
- Nightlife in Rio de Janeiro
- Restaurants in Rio de Janeiro
- Shopping in Rio de Janeiro
- Warnings and Dangers in Rio de Janeiro
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rio de Janeiro
- 32 Reviews
- 38 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 117 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (47)
Have you been to Rio de Janeiro?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rio de Janeiro
- updated a Rio de Janeiro Travel Page "b1bob's Excellent Rio de Janeiro adventures"
- Posted in Technical Help Forum "Re: Seeing which friends are online"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Come on, baby, light my fire..."
- Commented on one of marcbrazil's Rio de Janeiro travel pages
- Wrote a Review More culinary tips on Brazil in Rio de Janeiro Local Customs
Photos in Rio de JaneiroSee All Photos (38)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Richmond Intro, 250 reviews, 498 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 203 reviews, 326 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Virginia Intro, 154 reviews, 245 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Quito Intro, 80 reviews, 123 photos
- Mechanicsville Intro, 67 reviews, 131 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Charlotte Intro, 83 reviews, 91 photos, 1 travelogue
- Washington D.C. Intro, 76 reviews, 94 photos, 2 travelogues
- Virgilina Intro, 52 reviews, 85 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Williamsburg Intro, 51 reviews, 64 photos
- Europe Intro, 51 reviews, 53 photos
- Christ The Redeemer, Corcovado- 158 Reviews, 254 Photos
- Copacabana- 108 Reviews, 169 Photos
- Sugarloaf Mountain - Pão de Açucar- 127 Reviews, 224 Photos
- Carnaval- 58 Reviews, 88 Photos
- Tijuca Forest- 27 Reviews, 39 Photos
- Santa Teresa- 34 Reviews, 37 Photos
- Downtown- 47 Reviews, 97 Photos
- Botanical Garden- 42 Reviews, 72 Photos
- Ipanema- 64 Reviews, 104 Photos
- Maracanã Soccer Stadium- 43 Reviews, 70 Photos
See All Rio de Janeiro Things to Do