"The capital city of Canada" Ottawa by janika

Ottawa Travel Guide: 1,815 reviews and 4,497 photos

More than just politics.

Hello and welcome to Ottawa!

This is the capital city of Canada. It is also my home town. We have lived here for over ten years and I love it very much. You can do so many things around here, it's unreal. Especially in the winter time. We have the world's longest skating place called the Rideau Canal. It's over six miles long in the winter time. Ottawa hosts the Winterlude festivities every February. There is a huge international ice sculpture tournament during Winterlude. Bands are playing all dressed up and they serve hot tea and Beavertail which is a traditional Canadian sweet. See the Tulip Festival in the spring. Summer time you can go fishing, hiking, or just play volley ball or watch the Dragon boat tournament at the Moonies Bay beach. There is a walleyball tournament there every summer in July.

I can also proudly say that Ottawa is one of the safest cities in Canada.
If you are still reading, I thank you for your patients and would like to
ask you to check back in a few weeks. Why?! Because this is the page which keeps growing all the time. I am sure there is something new here upon your return. I will keep updating this page as the time goes by and I can bring in more pictures.

Ottawa is a large, metropolitan city! Many people think that Ottawa is small but let me tell you it is not. Over one million people live around here and it's growing every day. Ottawa also includes Nepean, Kanata, Stitswille, Orleans, Vanier, Navan, and many other districts and neighborhoods. Did you know that Ottawa is not the original capital of Canada? It was Kingston first, than Ottawa now. It's also one of the coldest capital cities in the World, however this shouldn't scare you away!

Please don't forget to watch the video of Ottawa, Just click on the video tab on top.

• Pros:Very safe, Tons of fun, Clean, Sports travel destination.
  • Cons:Too cold in winter time. Humid in the summer.
  • In a nutshell:Canada day is at July first and Winterlude starts at February-15. Don't miss the parties!
  • Intro Updated Aug 14, 2008

• Feb 24, 2011 at 8:46 AM

Thank you for this post! I would love to visit this place! I am going to have to run it by my financial advisor and see if I can squeeze this trip in! http://cornerstonewm.net

• kenHuocj's Profile Photo
    Jan 24, 2011 at 8:24 AM

FFRRRZZZNG cold today ~ how about another VT meet before the Spring ? ;-)))

• Shihar's Profile Photo
    Mar 13, 2009 at 6:10 AM

Great Ottawa tips! I'm planning a trip in May.. What's the weather like then?

• 1courage's Profile Photo
    Jan 23, 2008 at 11:55 AM

You live in a wonderful and really clean city! Your Parliament is even bigger than ours (i miss the photos about the internals-must be nice!). Thank you for this nice page!

• JessH's Profile Photo
    Nov 17, 2007 at 9:37 PM

Hi John. Looks like a lovely city you live in! Here in Dubai we also have an Amphi-bus, and German people seem to be just as proud of their front gardens as Ottawa-residents! My ratings are definitely with you. Greetings from the desert / Jess :-)

• kris-t's Profile Photo
    Mar 20, 2006 at 9:06 AM

Great page! Thank you!

• vtveen's Profile Photo
    Nov 1, 2005 at 8:26 AM

Thanks for your tip and pics about the Tulip Festival. Another proof for the strong bons between Canada and the Netherlands !!!

• Jvb802003's Profile Photo
    Mar 20, 2005 at 9:27 AM

Hi, Thanks for all the great information. I have never been to Ottawa before, but I am going in 2 weeks. It looks amazing.

• MDH's Profile Photo
    Feb 8, 2005 at 9:43 AM

Hi John. This is a great page about your hometown. You really do capture the essence of Ottawa perfectly here, right down to the photography. Excellent work!

• davidlop's Profile Photo
    Jan 12, 2005 at 4:20 AM

What a pitty I didn't read your pages before getting to your city... that I enjoyed, anyway (beer with locals helped some weekdays... ;-) Keep on helping us with your pages, John! 8o) (and have a great 2005!)

janika Lives Here!

janika

“The best is yet to come!”

Badges & Stats in Ottawa