"Beautiful beaches with an American connection" Anzio by janika
Anzio Travel Guide: 0 reviews and 1 photos
Anzio is probably best known for it's role in World War two. American marines landed here in 1944 to fight the Germans.
The destruction of the town suffered then was just another chapter in it's long history. Locals say that Anzio was founded by Anteo, the son of Ulysees.
The first settlement, Antium can be traced back to 1000 Before Christ. The birthplace of Nero, Anzio was an opulent town in Roman times and it was Nero himself who built the port, along with villas decorated with beautiful of art which can now be found in some of the worlds most famous museums. The great Roman empire Anzio went into decline only to grow again under Pope Innocenzo XII who, forced to take shelter from a storm in Anzio, promised to rebuild the place.
Many great villas and palaces were built there and used by successive Popes, including Villa Albani.
Anzio is a great place to get a way from it all. It is relatively affordable, yet close to Rome and easy to approach. We used to come here by bus when living in Latina. The beach is so much cleaner in Anzio than anywhere else around the Lazio coast lines.
- Pros:Nice, quiet, affordable, clean beaches, close to Rome.
- Cons:Gotta pay for staying on the nicest beaches.
- In a nutshell:Don't miss Anzio when visiting Italy.
janika's Related Pages
Anzio Travel Guide
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Anzio
- 0 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (8)
Have you been to Anzio?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Anzio
Top 10 Pages
- Ottawa Intro, 53 reviews, 113 photos, 5 travelogues
- Morrisburg Intro, 21 reviews, 62 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kingston Intro, 15 reviews, 56 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Hull Intro, 22 reviews, 47 photos, 3 travelogues
- Budapest Intro, 23 reviews, 40 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pecs Intro, 19 reviews, 43 photos
- Cornwall Intro, 16 reviews, 38 photos, 3 travelogues
- Smiths Falls Intro, 9 reviews, 42 photos, 4 travelogues
- Niagara Falls Intro, 10 reviews, 20 photos, 1 travelogue
- Agrigento Intro, 7 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue