"Roman Agora and Church in Plaka" Plaka by Kodi01
Plaka Travel Guide: 21 reviews and 43 photos
Large building measuring 111 x 98 m., comprising a spacious rectangular courtyard surrounded by stoas, shops and storerooms. It has an east, Ionic propylon and a west, Doric propylon, known as the Gate of Athena Archegetis.
It was built between 19 and 11 B.C. Julius Caesar and Augustus donated for this to be built.
The Turkish mosque lies on the north side of the Roman Agora. It was constructed in 1456 A.D. on the ruins of an Early Christian basilica.
There is a east entrance to the Roman Agora which has a row of four Ionic columns made of gray Hymettian marble. It was built in 19-11 B.C.
- Pros:A hidden treasure!
- Cons:Make sure you get there before 2:30pm...
- In a nutshell:History unfolds here!
This is easy to get to either by metro or my friend drove me there. It is easy to walk from the top of the Acropolis to... more travel advice
Olive trees and olive oil have to be the number one item Greece is known for.....the Acroplois is lined with them. i... more travel advice
Kodi01's Related Pages
Plaka Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Roman Agora and Church in Plaka"
- "An Eastern Peloponnese Gem"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Plaka
- Hotels in Plaka
- Transportation in Plaka
- Nightlife in Plaka
- Restaurants in Plaka
- Shopping in Plaka
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Plaka
- 10 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Plaka?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Plaka
Photos in PlakaSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Krakow Intro, 79 reviews, 86 photos, 1 travelogue
- Dublin Intro, 78 reviews, 80 photos, 1 travelogue
- New York City Intro, 80 reviews, 76 photos, 1 travelogue
- Dallas Intro, 67 reviews, 64 photos, 4 travelogues
- Athens Intro, 56 reviews, 60 photos, 2 travelogues
- Dresden Intro, 58 reviews, 58 photos
- Tychy Intro, 53 reviews, 52 photos
- Waikiki Intro, 47 reviews, 42 photos
- London Intro, 22 reviews, 66 photos, 3 travelogues
- Edinburgh Intro, 23 reviews, 49 photos, 2 travelogues