"The history of Kangerlussuaq page" Kangerlussuaq by shiran_d
Kangerlussuaq Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 23 photos
The history of Kangerlussuaq
Kangerlussuaq means the long fjord in Greenlandic. The fjord is 185 km long, with Kangerlussuaq Airport located at the far end, approx. 60 km north o Sondrestrom Air Base, known under the code name Bluie West German occupation of Denmark. The USA set up a number of military bases and weather stations in Greenland during the Second World War, including the military base at Kangerlussuaq. During the war, Bluie West 8 soon became one of the most important stopover sites for flying missions between the USA and its allies in Europe, owing to the fine flying conditions for which Kangerlussuaq became known.
Kangerlussuaq area had never been populated, though the fjord had been used as summer sealing and fishing grounds.
Today, with a population of approx. 250 - 300, Kangerlussuaq Airport is an exclusively civil area,
So beautiful and relaxing to be in Kangerlussuaq because of it's surrounding scenic landscapes.
Enjoy this one I loved it very much. Just see how vibrent it is.
- Pros:Such great place with nice people
- Cons:Not alot to do no cafes and places to eat
- In a nutshell:Gate way to the land of freedom, Greenland is never always stay green
Ice cap tour, The excursion is undertaken in a car, which covers the 25 km to the edge of the The Russel's Gletcher.... more travel advice
Musk ox Musk oxen from the north-east Greenland were transfered to the Kangerlussuaq area in the beginning of 1963 and... more travel advice
shiran_d's Related Pages
Kangerlussuaq Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The history of Kangerlussuaq page"
- "Northern lights and extreme beauty."
- "The International Airport for Greenland"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kangerlussuaq
- Hotels in Kangerlussuaq
- Transportation in Kangerlussuaq
- Shopping in Kangerlussuaq
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kangerlussuaq
- 11 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Kangerlussuaq?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kangerlussuaq
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Longyearbyen Intro, 45 reviews, 48 photos
- Tokyo Intro, 36 reviews, 51 photos
- Riga Intro, 20 reviews, 22 photos
- Kangerlussuaq Intro, 11 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
- Athens Intro, 12 reviews, 15 photos
- Vilnius Intro, 13 reviews, 14 photos
- Barentsburg Intro, 11 reviews, 14 photos
- London Intro, 10 reviews, 13 photos
- Helsinki Intro, 10 reviews, 11 photos
- Venice Intro, 9 reviews, 10 photos